Lidl versus Aldi

Status
Not open for further replies.

They are still cheaper when you compare them to their own brands.

Very marginally. But quality is hit and miss. There is decent stuff at canny prices but also theres some total shite. Their bog roll is waifer thin. I can get better for less money elsewhere.
Their 'thick' bleach is so watery its not really fit for purpose and at 45p id rather pay the extra 5p at sainsburys for a bleach thats actually thick .

Very marginally. But quality is hit and miss. There is decent stuff at canny prices but also theres some total shite. Their bog roll is waifer thin. I can get better for less money elsewhere.
Their 'thick' bleach is so watery its not really fit for purpose and at 45p id rather pay the extra 5p at sainsburys for a bleach thats actually thick .
You can't add up up marra.

Oh and Sainsburys :lol:

You can't add up up marra.

Oh and Sainsburys :lol:

What you on about?
Their own brands are a few pence cheaper thats it. And as becs pointed out if you play the voucher game it can be cheaper. And overall the quality in sainsburys tends to be better than aldi

What you on about?
Their own brands are a few pence cheaper thats it. And as becs pointed out if you play the voucher game it can be cheaper. And overall the quality in sainsburys tends to be better than aldi
I can't be arsed to argue about it, but imo you don't shop there.

Sainsburys is cack :lol:

Aldi, however Lidl's luxury carrot cake is magnificent.
It's actually better than M&S and cheaper. The new lemon drizzle cake is also right up there.

I can't be arsed to argue about it, but imo you don't shop there.

Sainsburys is cack :lol:

I pop in now and then for bits and bobs. Ive tried various stuff to try and save a bit. Some of it is canny some is utter shite. Prices somes about the same, somes a little bit cheaper.
Theres very little in variety.
Aldis checkouts are just awful anarl

Overall its just not worth the small savings as you only have to go back to the big supermarkets anyway to pickup all the stuff you can get

They seem very aggressive with their store locations. Seems they deliberately build store near each other.
We use Aldi because its local and was the only supermarket near us. Now Lidl are building a store maybe 300 yards across the road.
Where abouts mate? They are doing exactly that in Pelaw at the minute.

I pop in now and then for bits and bobs. Ive tried various stuff to try and save a bit. Some of it is canny some is utter shite. Prices somes about the same, somes a little bit cheaper.
Theres very little in variety.
Aldis checkouts are just awful anarl

Overall its just not worth the small savings as you only have to go back to the big supermarkets anyway to pickup all the stuff you can get
imo you're full of shite.

imo you're full of shite.

Youve just shown you are by responding after you said you wernt going to argue ;)

Look ive backed it up with examples.
Another one. Their mccoys crisp rip offs are 89p for bag of 6. They have very little flavour. Actual mccoys can be had for £1 for bag of 6.

These are things ive tried as a cheaper alternative and ended up wasting my money.

Youve just shown you are by responding after you said you wernt going to argue ;)

Look ive backed it up with examples.
Another one. Their mccoys crisp rip offs are 89p for bag of 6. They have very little flavour. Actual mccoys can be had for £1 for bag of 6.

These are things ive tried as a cheaper alternative and ended up wasting my money.
Examples? Their meat is superior to standard supermarket crap. Not all their non brands match branded items, but in general they do.

If you compare like for like, they're no cheaper than other stores. They look cheaper as they compare their own brands with brand names.

They don't sell everything that I regularly buy so I still have to go elsewhere.

I hate the checkout. I'd rather pack bags as it's scanned. Given the queues and the time it takes to go through the checkout then bag everything at the shelf, it's no quicker than the other supermarkets.
You're right about not selling everything ,wrong on the rest .For a lot of your shop people don't need brand names .If you want top brands on everything you buy you'll never save money anywhere .Asda etc have now started doing rip off Snickers bars etc copying Lidl.

Examples? Their meat is superior to standard supermarket crap. Not all their non brands match branded items, but in general they do.

I get my meat from butchers anyway
Im not even talking brand match. Some of their own brands dont match other supermarket own brands (like the bleach). Their crisps are the same price as other own brands & of similar standard. Their bog roll was useless compared to what i get in farm foods for less. Its entirely hit and miss and no different to supermarket own brands which themselves can be as good as brands and some less so. But this idea that 'theyre like brands but for less' is a bit dishonest really

Top picks for me
Cheese buns
Protein buns
Deluxe coleslaw
Nag sori rice (big slab of special fried rice )
All cold meats
Wasabi nuts
Fresh fish (wops asda price )
Frozen pizza 3 pack (less than 3 quid and lovely )
Own brand magnums
Own Cheerios
Own Snickers
Concentrated juice
Deluxe frozen chips
Chewy
All the cheap as chips Cien personal hygiene stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back