LGB Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems to be a complete melt - gets challenged and plays the homophobia card which is completely unacceptable.

Seems a thoroughly unlikeable bloke, totally unsuited to a role like that.

He wasn't employed or asked to do it though (as far as I'm aware), he chose to do it.

It would be like someone doing something for a charity in a Sunderland top then demanding the club helps them with it.
I don’t think it’s the same

But I’m not gonna argue the point

I fully agree he generally acts like a complete dick

He's not even a proper Sunderland supporter. He's an adult who went to his first ever match last season v Luton. He's clearly seen that the local team didn't have an LGB group so got involved.
That's more my issue with the whole thing. He isn't even a proper fan and has aligned himself with us for self publicity.

I actually feel the club should have paid the Public liability insurance at the pride, for a proper LGBT branch.

Mind that's me talking from an ignorant point of view, would be interested to hear what LGBT Sunderland fans think of this group.

Someone dragged up an old Echo article where he was accused of being a little indecent in the subway by the uni library one night. People misread it and thought it was Subway the sandwich place.

He has responded to that allegation though...

Remember when he made a massive song and dance about being involved in the RAWA AGM meeting only to not ask a single question...

Why do we need an LGBTQ supporters group? Pardon my ignorance, but the club appears very open and accepting, surely by creating a seperate group it's creating an unnecessary segregation. Wouldn't it be easier if the lad helped out an existing supporters branch and dropped the tag?

If the lad decided to setup a stall and it wasn't led by the club, I'm unsure why the club should have to foot the bill and I imagine obtaining PI for someone that is not considered staff would not be within the club's interests.

In theory it is a good idea. It provides a support network for LGBTQ+ people who might want to come to the match and meet like minded people or alternatively just want safety in numbers (football still has a stigma). It's no more segregation then other supporters groups. If you look at the mental health problems among LGBTQ+ people in this country they are astronomical, I think from speaking to my own friends it is still very lonely at times and hard, particularly in post-industrial areas. So a safe space is a good thing. The group, when working well, should potentially provide new fans and increase revenue. Obviously this bloke doesn't seem to be the one to lead it though.

I am certainly not having a go here, nor trying to be confrontational. But I don't think the likes of me and you (I am assuming you are cisgender, apologies if not) have any right to question if a group like this should exist. If LGBTQ+ people feel they need it, and join such a group, then we as a club probably do need it to exist. The club may appear open to us, but we don't really know. If it was working well then it would just be another group of people enjoying the match.

Last edited:
Sounds like the poor lad is doing it all on his own and he’s a bit overwhelmed.

I’d suggest putting a thread on here to determine if anyone was interested in helping out but that wouldn’t end well 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back