Leroy Sane to Munich for £380,000 a week !!!!

All fans want to see their club's win trophies but most clubs rarely get to see it, regardless of what they spend.
I want to see decent football first and foremost and if we get a trophy, then great....but I don't want a trophy direct from the retailer, kind of thing. I want the club to earn over time, not buy it.

I didn't know we had a 50m signing on £200,000 a week.

If it goes through isn't that what is expected?

I don't want to play the Mike Ashley is actually a fantastic manager but the level of signings you (I guess) would be aiming for would be Richarlison, or better. He is on 90k p/w for five years with a 35m (rising to 50m) fee. That is over 73m investment in just one player. 10 of those and you are at 3/4 of a billion. Newcastle don't have the commercial revenue or match day revenue to sustain that, so you will need a rich sugar daddy.

Big players may aid their club in terms of what the player is paid by it, in terms of shirt sales and what not. Some may add revenue by winning cups....but how many actually cater for their own massive wages?

You can look at the likes of Ronaldo and suchlike and say he caters for himself. How many can actually do that?

It's fairly simple economics this mate

Their salary is a proportion of all money received via sponsorship, prize money, image rights, gate receipts etc.

That proportion is relative to their standing in the squad.

By default they're covering themselves

If it goes through isn't that what is expected?

I don't want to play the Mike Ashley is actually a fantastic manager but the level of signings you (I guess) would be aiming for would be Richarlison, or better. He is on 90k p/w for five years with a 35m (rising to 50m) fee. That is over 73m investment in just one player. 10 of those and you are at 3/4 of a billion. Newcastle don't have the commercial revenue or match day revenue to sustain that, so you will need a rich sugar daddy.
And this is what I'm talking about. It simply makes us unsustainable in that way, unless we are blank cheque orientated in order to keep up with the accepted elites.
It's fairly simple economics this mate

Their salary is a proportion of all money received via sponsorship, prize money, image rights, gate receipts etc.

That proportion is relative to their standing in the squad.

By default they're covering themselves
Some are....most are not.

Every season I think the bubble has to burst, but its just getting bigger and bigger.
At some point football is going to bankrupt itself. I cant understand how it can keep going like this

Because the big clubs can afford it.

The bubble, when it bursts, won't affect them, but the aspirational clubs overreaching.

Let's make this easier and I'll use Newcastle United as my yardstick.
How many players at Newcastle do you think justify their wages in terms of actually creating that revenue?

All of them

It's absolutely mental that you think Premier League clubs give out multi-million-pound contracts without knowing exactly what that player is worth to them.

Is a 20 million pound salary acceptable in life, regardless of the job?

I never know if people who complain in these threads are aren't large salaries as a concept, or if they are just against footballers earning large salaries which are normal in other industries.

Do people get angry at Elton John earning what he earns?

It's surreal. Assuming this is based on a 45 hour working week, this lad doesn't even need to work for an hour to earn enough to pay for car I'm crippling myself to pay off over 4 fkin years. Because he is good at football. 🤔🤔🤣🤣
A bloke getting £40k a year from age 17 to 67 will earn £2m, Sane will get that in less than 6 weeks. Obviously there's tax and inflation but the point is that in a few months after tax, Sane has enough money to live the rest of his life if he spent it wisely as that bloke would.

This also ignores the £1,000's more a week players get from bonuses, sponsors, advertising, image rights, freebies and the 5* treatment they get everywhere as a perk.

The problem is if you cap wages all that’ll happen is clubs make monstrous amounts of money. Instead of players getting money shareholders would.

You’d need to cap commercial income. How do you do that? Cap what TV advertisers can charge? Cap how many shirts a club can sell? Cap what TV channels charge for subscriptions?

It’s difficult. The only way you can reorganise it is to franchise all the clubs and work it on the NFL model.

I think it’ll keep growing.

Money is flowing in due to TV rights internationally. The more Indonesia, China, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Philippines et al develop the more they will demand football as families are lifted out of poverty and become consumers who TV advertisers need to target. They will demand football in exchange for watching such TV adverts and buying those commercial products!

More money and nothing to do with it. This is an industry that relies on 11 men. So no real growth in profitability as agents know that club turnover has risen so they get inflated fees for their clients.
Even without a cap, they could drop the price of the merchandise and tickets and possibly support other areas of football? Could they somehow make it easier to watch on TV?

They won't ever drop prices for anything as they know people will pay. Sadly not everyone can afford to take the kids to the game or kit them out or get other merchandise but many do so the clubs just do the usual supply & demand.

It's clear some clubs take the piss and Spurs now have the majority of their season tickets well over £1,000 so way more than £50 a game. The daft thing is they've supposedly got 80,000 on a waiting list to be a season ticket holder (LINK) so no chance they'll ever drop prices. Would we fill the SOL if the cheapest season ticket was £1,000 going up to £2,000 even if we were in Spurs position?

This is what fucked me off about football as you had knackers like Rodwell getting £10,000's a week yet not giving a fuck when on the pitch. I play footy and it's sometimes easy to spot when players don't give it their all. If I was paid that much to play I'd be running myself into the ground and not 'switching off' but some players just take the piss. That's the problem we had, we paid more money to players to come up here and some of them just came for the payday and look at the shit it got us into.

Back