Leroy Sane to Munich for £380,000 a week !!!!

Big football clubs need to learn that the big money days are gone, if they keep going they will go bust people will turn against the product

Let's make this easier and I'll use Newcastle United as my yardstick.
How many players at Newcastle do you think justify their wages in terms of actually creating that revenue?

All Newcastle players, whether its ASM or Manquillo, have played their part in keeping the club in the premier league for another season. In doing so, they've entitled the club to hundreds of millions of pounds of tv income as a direct result of their performances on the pitch being enough to secure mid table.

I can't think of a more direct link between an employee creating revenue for a business. The wages could not be more justified (economically) when you look at wages paid v income generated for the business.
Big football clubs need to learn that the big money days are gone, if they keep going they will go bust people will turn against the product

Outside of the special circumstances we are in because of coronavirus, there's literally no evidence to suggest this is the case.

Last edited:
Outside of the special circumstances we are in because of coronavirus, there's literally no evidence to suggest this is the case.
For the Premier League as a whole, maybe not but the equality will disappear. Top clubs will get greedier and the PL money split will get less and less equitable. For example in 2018/18 Huddersfield got 93m and Liverpool 149m. Once Netflix, Amazon come in the quality of data they will harvest will be incredible. You will be able to change your settings so as to appear in one end of the other, bespoke punditry/commentary etc. Then the money will flow straight to the biggest attractions.

All Newcastle players, whether its ASM or Manquillo, have played their part in keeping the club in the premier league for another season. In doing so, they've entitled the club to hundreds of millions of pounds of tv income as a direct result of their performances on the pitch being enough to secure mid table.

I can't think of a more direct link between an employee creating revenue for a business. The wages could not be more justified (economically) when you look at wages paid v income generated for the business.

When the govt furlough in UK Job keeper in Oz run out, in Oz we will be looking at 20-25% unemployment end of sept, and we have hardly been hit compared to europe and USA, world is in for a economic shock by xmas

For the Premier League as a whole, maybe not but the equality will disappear. Top clubs will get greedier and the PL money split will get less and less equitable. For example in 2018/18 Huddersfield got 93m and Liverpool 149m. Once Netflix, Amazon come in the quality of data they will harvest will be incredible. You will be able to change your settings so as to appear in one end of the other, bespoke punditry/commentary etc. Then the money will flow straight to the biggest attractions.

I mean to me that proves my point - the worst team in the league and the best team in the league are still getting a base level of almost 100 million just by being in the premier league. That isn't a trend pointing towards inequality. It's a base level support for all PL clubs which is completely different to how La Liga operates. I completely agree that it creates a natural division between the PL and the championship, for example, but this talk about the big six taking more and more PL money and breaking away has been going on for a decade and there's next to nothing suggesting it will actually happen.

I mean to me that proves my point - the worst team in the league and the best team in the league are still getting a base level of almost 100 million just by being in the premier league. That isn't a trend pointing towards inequality. It's a base level support for all PL clubs which is completely different to how La Liga operates. I completely agree that it creates a natural division between the PL and the championship, for example, but this talk about the big six taking more and more PL money and breaking away has been going on for a decade and there's next to nothing suggesting it will actually happen.
It has already started - Clubs agree new share of international TV revenue.

But as I stated technology will provide the answer perhaps not in the 2022 TV deal but in the one after that. Just my view.

Back