Leroy Sane to Munich for £380,000 a week !!!!

Aye, I agree. If you pat higher transfer fees and wages to match you can prise the best players from what's on offer from whatever club.
And yes, if you want to be the best you buy the best...but this isn't exactly what I'm arguing against.
I'm arguing that elite clubs are buying the best by unfair means. Basically unsustainable means by using (in my view) back door methods to get around bankrolling.

It's coaxing the smaller clubs into trying to keep up and basically destroying those clubs' financial health, which, like I said, make it a very uneven playing field and creates issues for clubs trying to lure players, because, like you mention, paying the going rate.....yet, those players hold clubs to ransom.

I'd rather have a squad of players wanting to play for the club than a squad of sickeningly overpaid players on long contracts who may collectively win you a few trophies because it takes all of the realistic enjoyment from it.
Basically hope gets overtaken by expectancy, in short order.

When Man City can't fill their stadium in the latter stages of European competition, it tells you all you need to know about blank cheque cherry picking.

Why on earth would you want a squad full of Thomas Gravesens and Lee Carsleys over a squad of Leroy Sanes and Serge Gnabrys

The madness that will stop is any kind of collective bargaining agreement. Sooner or later the real giants of world football will get greedier and want a larger piece of the pie. Imagine an Amazon Prime TV like season ticket for your club.

Sounds like you don't want the takeover as having "a squad of sickeningly overpaid players on long contracts" is pretty much inevitable if they start spending.
I don't want a takeover that sees us become a plastic club....no.
Why on earth would you want a squad full of Thomas Gravesens and Lee Carsleys over a squad of Leroy Sanes and Serge Gnabrys
I want a squad full of carefully selected talent. It's about the skill of the find and the ability to polish rough diamonds rather than just waiting for tailor made ready to go gifts.

Look what Pardew assembled with Graham Carr and co.
Granted they were headhunted but it goes to show you can make your own stars, not to mention unearthing homegrown.

Last edited:
Yeah but when you get a world series in baseball only in America, it becomes a world of its own.

There's a population of ~330 million in America. It's probably safe to say 50% of those at the most are fans to the point they contribute revenue to the sport.

Whereas there are billions of football fans across the globe who purchase merchandise, TV subscriptions etc.

Strikes me as a bit odd, is he even going to be a regular starter when their current front three is Coman, Lewandowski, and Gnabry?
Bayern always have world class players in reserve.

Sane is arguably better than than both Gnabry and Coman. Gnabry has gone up levels in the past 2 seasons mind.

Sane of a few years ago clearly the best.

Last edited:

I want a squad full of carefully selected talent. It's about the skill of the find and the ability to polish rough diamonds rather than just waiting for tailor made ready to go gifts.

Granted they were headhunted but it goes to show you can make your own stars, not to mention unearthing homegrown.

Didn't they achieve absolutely fuck all? Fans of most clubs won't settle for having an airport or a lop sided stadium - they actually want to win trophies and that
Strikes me as a bit odd, is he even going to be a regular starter when their current front three is Coman, Lewandowski, and Gnabry?

Coman isn't in the same League as Gnabry never mind Lewa.

Sane will be their second best player fairly comfortably

Last edited:
If the players help to earn the clubs millions/billions, then I guess they deserve to be paid higher amounts

It just shows how much money is in the game now, that they can afford to pay it without issues
Didn't they achieve absolutely fuck all? Fans of most clubs won't settle for having an airport or a lop sided stadium - they actually want to win trophies and that

Coman isn't in the same League as Gnabry never mind Lewa.

Sane will be their second best player fairly comfortably
Same was absolutely class before he had the bad injury and became unsettled

Last edited:

You old romantic!

If the takeover goes through they will need to spend to show intent. Take a look at City's signings in 07/08 to see who they got - Manchester City - All transfers

Brazil's playing in Russia always seem keen on a move! Malcom - Premier Liga - Top market values 19/20

I don't get the people saying these sort of salaries 'need to stop'. Why do they need to stop? If the clubs can afford them (and they can), then what is the issue? This isn't a club bankrupting itself trying to get out of the championship by paying stupid salaries, it's one of the top five biggest clubs in the world. They can afford it and are paying the current market premium.

I don't think it needs to stop as like you say, if the clubs can afford it then fair enough. Does make me wonder why we bother though and most clubs which are a decent size. Unless we get taken over by the ultra rich we'll never compete at that level.

You old romantic!

If the takeover goes through they will need to spend to show intent. Take a look at City's signings in 07/08 to see who they got - Manchester City - All transfers

Brazil's playing in Russia always seem keen on a move! Malcom - Premier Liga - Top market values 19/20
I agree we have to show intent, especially in this weird climate of mental fees but if this takeover is the blank cheque type then we will most likely end up with a squad full of mercenaries who will signal their own footballing intent and then likely sit back and just accept the big bucks for half hearted return...is my guess.

If we get taken over I'd like to see a sustainable spend with sustainable wages to match, whether it's an Arab takeover...American or Ashley himself, who I believe is doing just that, even though he does make some bad errors of judgement and likely underhand tactics.....but then again I believe all these multi billionaires have their own agenda's. It's just a case of which one's take the limelight first.
The madness that will stop is any kind of collective bargaining agreement. Sooner or later the real giants of world football will get greedier and want a larger piece of the pie. Imagine an Amazon Prime TV like season ticket for your club.
That will happen, I'm sure.
There's a population of ~330 million in America. It's probably safe to say 50% of those at the most are fans to the point they contribute revenue to the sport.

Whereas there are billions of football fans across the globe who purchase merchandise, TV subscriptions etc.
I agree with you......but, money paid to individuals is not justified in all but a few cases.

Last edited:
I agree we have to show intent, especially in this weird climate of mental fees but if this takeover is the blank cheque type then we will most likely end up with a squad full of mercenaries who will signal their own footballing intent and then likely sit back and just accept the big bucks for half hearted return...is my guess.

If we get taken over I'd like to see a sustainable spend with sustainable wages to match, whether it's an Arab takeover...American or Ashley himself, who I believe is doing just that, even though he does make some bad errors of judgement and likely underhand tactics.....but then again I believe all these multi billionaires have their own agenda's. It's just a case of which one's take the limelight first.

In the short term you are right and we will be able to have a huge laugh at you all, as your 50m signing on 200k a week takes selfies with opposition after a battering!

I agree with you......but, money paid to individuals is not justified in all but a few cases.

of course it's justified - every penny of TV, sponsorship or gate money is because of these players. If it doesn't go to the players, the owners just pocket it

All fans want to see their club's win trophies but most clubs rarely get to see it, regardless of what they spend.
I want to see decent football first and foremost and if we get a trophy, then great....but I don't want a trophy direct from the retailer, kind of thing. I want the club to earn over time, not buy it.
In the short term you are right and we will be able to have a huge laugh at you all, as your 50m signing on 200k a week takes selfies with opposition after a battering!
I didn't know we had a 50m signing on £200,000 a week.

Last edited:
I don't get the people saying these sort of salaries 'need to stop'. Why do they need to stop? If the clubs can afford them (and they can), then what is the issue? This isn't a club bankrupting itself trying to get out of the championship by paying stupid salaries, it's one of the top five biggest clubs in the world. They can afford it and are paying the current market premium.

Nah it’s madness like, I read it on here.

They’ve been desperate for a winger for ages. They chased Hudson Odoi for a while, he probably regrets not going now.

Would be interested to see your workings on this?
Big players may aid their club in terms of what the player is paid by it, in terms of shirt sales and what not. Some may add revenue by winning cups....but how many actually cater for their own massive wages?

You can look at the likes of Ronaldo and suchlike and say he caters for himself. How many can actually do that?

Back