Leroy Sane to Munich for £380,000 a week !!!!

There are 45 NBA players earning more than that, 24 MLB earning more than that, 10 NFL earning more than that....the difference with those sports is that there are not 100's of mediocre players earning top salaries, unlike in football. Sane is a top player and deserves it. Interesting that @Nukehasslefan calls it madness, as if #cans goes through Newcastle will need to pay players salaries at that level to convince them to move.
Theres not 100s of players on that money either though. Plenty of very poor 2nd string QBs for instance pick up 5m for doing nothing at all and continue to bounce around getting jobs.

Because the playing field gets more unbalanced throughout.
It becomes a class system and the paupers are not invited, unless to be used as cannon fodder and to be subservient to the elites.
It's sickening and is killing the game at grass roots level, plus taking the small amount of loyalty left in the game, away.

The dream of trophies for most players comes a pitiful second to the wages and bonuses from them, for the plastic elites.

Do you genuinely think that players in the 70s/80s cared more about trophies then their annual wage? They really didn't.

Also that argument really doesn't hold up when Sane is arguably moving to a bigger club :lol:

Because the playing field gets more unbalanced throughout.
It becomes a class system and the paupers are not invited, unless to be used as cannon fodder and to be subservient to the elites.
It's sickening and is killing the game at grass roots level, plus taking the small amount of loyalty left in the game, away.

The dream of trophies for most players comes a pitiful second to the wages and bonuses from them, for the plastic elites.
The game at grass roots has never been so well funded. Superb facilities and finance to fund coaches at entry level with no cost. The top players still want to be where the trophies are which is why the very best are at the very best clubs. Problem is when clubs try and keep up like West Ham etc and pay way over the odds for players who aren't good enough. Leicester have twice now proven you can compete by being wise.

There are 45 NBA players earning more than that, 24 MLB earning more than that, 10 NFL earning more than that....the difference with those sports is that there are not 100's of mediocre players earning top salaries, unlike in football. Sane is a top player and deserves it. Interesting that @Nukehasslefan calls it madness, as if #cans goes through Newcastle will need to pay players salaries at that level to convince them to move.
Aye but I'd rather have a player that wants to come rather than have a player that has to be bribed.

Theres not 100s of players on that money either though. Plenty of very poor 2nd string QBs for instance pick up 5m for doing nothing at all and continue to bounce around getting jobs.
That salary puts Sane around 11/12th in the list of most highly paid footballers across leagues in England, Spain, Italy, France, China, Japan. But there are 45 players earning more than that in the NBA, a 30 team league. My point being that we can naturally expect the salaries of our superstars to rise.

Do you genuinely think that players in the 70s/80s cared more about trophies then their annual wage? They really didn't.

Also that argument really doesn't hold up when Sane is arguably moving to a bigger club :lol:
It depends what the words " bigger club" actually mean in today's climate.

Aye but I'd rather have a player that wants to come rather than have a player that has to be bribed.

Be plenty of lads in the championship want to come without being bribed. Not many of the proper good players want to come to a team in an annual relegation battle. Gotta pay the going rate. That's how it has always been. If you pay higher wages you get better players. There is and has always been a correlation between wage bill and league position, with the odd anomaly now and then.

The reality is they will need to offer incredible wages to tempt even second tier stars to come to Newcastle. If you were Sane and were offered 385k p/w to go to Bayern how much do you think it would take to go to Newcastle, or say Leeds if they were to come up? Alas, it is mental.

Be plenty of lads in the championship want to come without being bribed. Not many of the proper good players want to come to a team in an annual relegation battle. Gotta pay the going rate. That's how it has always been. If you pay higher wages you get better players. There is and has always been a correlation between wage bill and league position, with the odd anomaly now and then.

Sadly for SAFC the correlation has often been negative!

The game at grass roots has never been so well funded. Superb facilities and finance to fund coaches at entry level with no cost. The top players still want to be where the trophies are which is why the very best are at the very best clubs. Problem is when clubs try and keep up like West Ham etc and pay way over the odds for players who aren't good enough. Leicester have twice now proven you can compete by being wise.
Fair enough, we all have our own opinions on what's what.
It sickens me to see this ridiculous money paid out and also wages. It doesn't really make any sense....but....there you go.

Fair enough, we all have our own opinions on what's what.
It sickens me to see this ridiculous money paid out and also wages. It doesn't really make any sense....but....there you go.

What would you rather the clubs done with the money if they weren't spending it on transfers and wages though? Owners pocket it all?

Wise? It was an anomaly, it happens. Everything just went right for them and it would be near impossible to replicate.

Wise? It was an anomaly, it happens. Everything just went right for them and it would be near impossible to replicate.

They're third in the league this season as well though with good recruitment and employing a good manager.
Wolves are a good example as well of appointing a good manager and recruiting well.

Aye, I agree. If you pat higher transfer fees and wages to match you can prise the best players from what's on offer from whatever club.
And yes, if you want to be the best you buy the best...but this isn't exactly what I'm arguing against.
I'm arguing that elite clubs are buying the best by unfair means. Basically unsustainable means by using (in my view) back door methods to get around bankrolling.

It's coaxing the smaller clubs into trying to keep up and basically destroying those clubs' financial health, which, like I said, make it a very uneven playing field and creates issues for clubs trying to lure players, because, like you mention, paying the going rate.....yet, those players hold clubs to ransom.

I'd rather have a squad of players wanting to play for the club than a squad of sickeningly overpaid players on long contracts who may collectively win you a few trophies because it takes all of the realistic enjoyment from it.
Basically hope gets overtaken by expectancy, in short order.

When Man City can't fill their stadium in the latter stages of European competition, it tells you all you need to know about blank cheque cherry picking.
The reality is they will need to offer incredible wages to tempt even second tier stars to come to Newcastle. If you were Sane and were offered 385k p/w to go to Bayern how much do you think it would take to go to Newcastle, or say Leeds if they were to come up? Alas, it is mental.
I agree...but this would apply in any case due to the north east postcode.

Last edited:
They're third in the league this season as well though with good recruitment and employing a good manager.
Wolves are a good example as well of appointing a good manager and recruiting well.
Good shout on Wolves. Rodgers has surprised me by getting them to 3rd, I must admit. Only explanation is that United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are all in a period of flux.

Average wages here - English Premier League salary 2018/19 | Statista
Good shout on Wolves. Rodgers has surprised me by getting them to 3rd, I must admit. Only explanation is that United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are all in a period of flux.

Average wages here - English Premier League salary 2018/19 | Statista

Strikes me as a bit odd, is he even going to be a regular starter when their current front three is Coman, Lewandowski, and Gnabry?

Aye, I agree. If you pat higher transfer fees and wages to match you can prise the best players from what's on offer from whatever club.
And yes, if you want to be the best you buy the best...but this isn't exactly what I'm arguing against.
I'm arguing that elite clubs are buying the best by unfair means. Basically unsustainable means by using (in my view) back door methods to get around bankrolling.

It's coaxing the smaller clubs into trying to keep up and basically destroying those clubs' financial health, which, like I said, make it a very uneven playing field and creates issues for clubs trying to lure players, because, like you mention, paying the going rate.....yet, those players hold clubs to ransom.

I'd rather have a squad of players wanting to play for the club than a squad of sickeningly overpaid players on long contracts who may collectively win you a few trophies because it takes all of the realistic enjoyment from it.
Basically hope gets overtaken by expectancy, in short order.

When Man City can't fill their stadium in the latter stages of European competition, it tells you all you need to know about blank cheque cherry picking.

I agree...but this would apply in any case due to the north east postcode.

Sounds like you don't want the takeover as having "a squad of sickeningly overpaid players on long contracts" is pretty much inevitable if they start spending.

Back