Lee Johnson Press Conference

No worries and pleased to hear it.
I understand your point and freedom of speech is important.

But the context here is a
Global pandemic for which by far the most likely and possibly only good outcome is for the vast majority of the planet to take the vaccine. Young people, young men in particular and some professional sports people are the most reluctant not get vaccinated / worry more about possibly effects vs benefits.

So to have a high profile manager put this out on record, clumsily or otherwise is extremely unhelpful at best, completely reckless at worst. And he’s going to have to explain himself now. We as a club do not need the spotlight or controversy and there is only one person to blame (not Simon bird)
I do see you're point, although I don't fully agree with it, as I feel LJ's comments weren't particularly controversial. Let's just agree to a difference of opinion on this one mate haha.

Its possible the journo knows what the sub is hoping to angle for but that's not always the case.
He was looking for a story to cause a bit of upset and get some views and he did it. The question itself wasn’t really relevant to the press conference at all. I have a degree in journalism btw

The headline is pretty much the opposite of what Johnson said though. He said it was probably caused by Covid (not the vaccine). So Lee Johnson certainly didn't claim the vaccine led to the heart problem.

It could be either or it could be neither, but it is irresponsible and sensationalist reporting by The Mirror.
Johnson's reply was in answer to a leading question, so I suspect the article was all but written before the Press Conference.
But Roger don’t football clubs and personnel deal with sensationalist tabloid hacks on a daily basis?

Surely a press officer worth their salt talks to the first team squad and staff and say ‘look Bird and co are sniffing a story re Burge’ - and make no mistake bird has got wind of this from somewhere before hand - he hasn’t got lucky - and close it down. Instruct them either not to talk or simply say it’s a covid issue being handled by the doctors.

There. Easy. Dealt with. Back to Defoe.

He’s an experienced manager and this is a very delicate situation. Johnson will be well aware that if the age group with the lowest vaccine take up is in young men. He needs to have his facts bang on or keep his mouth shut on this one

Sue them? Has he been mis quoted? The irresponsible behaviour that I see is from Johnson
"he got it from the injections, or from COVID, I don't know". Totally misrepresents what he said.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one haha.

I admire you defending safc, but if this had been Eddie howe would you say same? Maybe you would.

I just think you don’t need to comment on anything like that, there’s no benefit, he sometimes just likes sound of his own voice at times. I’m not bothered about what he said just in terms of the publicity it brings

Anyway aye no point falling out over it!

"he got it from the injections, or from COVID, I don't know". Totally misrepresents what he said.
He was talking to a tabloid journalist ffs. I’m sorry but do we really believe Johnson is that naive? If he is then he needs either training in how to deal with the press or a PO sat next to him to step in every week.

You can’t say ‘injection might have caused heart condition…’ followed by anything else and think that’s going to be ok. You’ve given any media outlet or conspiracist an immediate headline or ammunition to support a wacky idea or Chuck around however they want to suit and agenda.

And why? Because he doesn’t think before he speaks. He dug a hole for himself regarding Defoe a week ago, but that’s a trivial football matter.
This is serious. He’s made a big mistake and, whether you feel thats right or wrong, Johnson himself has created a needless headline and unwelcome spotlight on the club.

Havent we got one of the highest vaccine take ups anyway? Storm in a tea cup, usually i think johnson is prone to spouting shite for the sake of it but cant see hes done much wrong in this instance

Even if he hadn't already said it was probably covid there's absolutely nowt controversial about saying it could have be caused by a vaccination anyway. The article even includes info from the British Heart Foundation confirming it can happen.

Total non story.

Aye I mean don't suggest anything can go wrong with the vaccine, I mean Lisa Shaw didn't happen did it Simon?

I have had all three jabs but it can cause problems very very very very rarely, so why shouldn't it be mentioned???

Even though he then said he didn't know and wasn't a doctor

Sensationalist journalism at very best
Even if he hadn't already said it was probably covid there's absolutely nowt controversial about saying it could have be caused by a vaccination anyway. The article even includes info from the British Heart Foundation confirming it can happen.

Total non story.

This

He was looking for a story to cause a bit of upset and get some views and he did it. The question itself wasn’t really relevant to the press conference at all. I have a degree in journalism btw

I didn't hear the presser so will take your word for it (I should also say I have no idea if the sub was angling or not). I don't have a journalism degree but do have a related undergrad one and did some production work for a radio news show 20 years ago.

Back