Leccy cars, are they really cheaper?

Do you have solar panels on your roof? It's an investment but if your going to be living in the same house for many years forget the feed in tariff cuts and think of it is the solar panel installation more or less than the cost of fuel for the rest of your life? You may need to factor in a battery since most people are out during the day when the solar panels are generating the majority of their power.

Tesla's will do 300miles. That's a long way for anyone, plan to do a 20-30min stop in the middle where there is a supercharger and you will get an extra 100-150miles of range.

Service Stations never have enough "bogs", no chance they will have enough charging points

I’m happy to stick with infernal combustion, till leccys been around long enough to prove itself beyond all doubt and has extensive back up to match.

Don’t trust the buggas anyway.
They can sneak up on yer from behind without yer knowing a thing.:eek:

Electric cars are no solution to the problem at hand and simply won’t work in the long term

We are told at various intervals that the U.K. is on a cliff edge as regards electricity supplies to the the tune of just having a few days supply at any one time iirc

If everyone changes to electric cars we will surely end up with massive problem here?

I see the lady next door hooking her bmw up to the system and wonder how much this is costing her and what the drain on the network would be from 10m cars

Anyone know?
I doubt it gets to the point that there’s only a few days left....... it doesn’t work like that as I believe we can’t store it on a commercial basis. It’s either in production or not

Passat gte? Vw claim the range is about 640 for that, 30 miles electric. So real world it’s probably 500 ish petrol and 20 odd electric
Depends how far your driving each day. Range on purely electric is 20-30 miles I think. If you do less than that most days and run just on electric you can get insane mileage.

Depends how far your driving each day. Range on purely electric is 20-30 miles I think. If you do less than that most days and run just on electric you can get insane mileage.

Yeah if you do 20-30 a day on electric only, saying you get 1000 miles from a tank is somewhat misleading

Yeah if you do 20-30 a day on electric only, saying you get 1000 miles from a tank is somewhat misleading
It’s kind of implied with a plug in hybrid that you charge it on a night. And if you are doing mostly electric miles you may see 1000 miles between fill ups quiet easily.

Electric cars are no solution to the problem at hand and simply won’t work in the long term

We are told at various intervals that the U.K. is on a cliff edge as regards electricity supplies to the the tune of just having a few days supply at any one time iirc

If everyone changes to electric cars we will surely end up with massive problem here?

I see the lady next door hooking her bmw up to the system and wonder how much this is costing her and what the drain on the network would be from 10m cars

Anyone know?

There's no chance everyone will be hooking up at home there will just be petrol station things hoying out electric. Will likely take half hour or so. People will just need to be more organized and factor shit like this in to their weekly routine imo. Sounds shit like

It seems like EVs are getting better each year and I’m seriously considering that if I ever buy a car again, it’ll be an EV. For the meantime I’ll go one better for the environment and not have a car at all.

You laugh but fairly intelligent high earning people on here like Epps was once very serious on his idea to put wind turbines on cars to generate electricity.

This place is full of strange people, I just put you down as another one of the “why don’t they just” lot who think that they know better than the thousands of brilliant engineers and scientists who of course have considered such ground breaking innovations.

Either way, there will be people on here who will have thought similar to his posts. Little acorns n that!

That was a piss take turbines on cars... My top idea is to stick small windmills in pylons.. ugle things criss crossi g the country

We have a Renault Zoe and our leccy supplier is 100% renewable so where’s ya point?

If I’m to be overly critical, once the power has entered the grid, it’s not possible to split it between suppliers. It’s just there. If you have elected to pay for your power to come from a renewable source, then that is commendable, but it’s largely administrative as your cash is going to a company who supply wind or solar, but what you consume could be from a variety of sources.

I’m fancying one of these cars that run on water.
Top it up for nowt, anytime, anywhere, can’t be bad.

It's not one to get into here on a Saturday morning but road user charging will come in to replace VED as electric vehicles become the norm. A tax based on miles drive/time spent in cities and areas of congestion.

Think Leeds are looking at this now and its a matter of time before it replaces congestion charging zones and then VED long term.
I was part of the DfT demonstration trial for this a few years ago and I put into the white/green paper

Results were really good - but Technology has moved on massively in just a few years, however the impact on revenue/public acceptance were main barriers at that point

I doubt it gets to the point that there’s only a few days left....... it doesn’t work like that as I believe we can’t store it on a commercial basis. It’s either in production or not
Correct - the poster is a bit dense

Last edited:

Back