Leccy cars, are they really cheaper?

I was part of the DfT demonstration trial for this a few years ago and I put into the white/green paper

Results were really good - but Technology has moved on massively in just a few years, however the impact on revenue/public acceptance were main barriers at that point

Correct - the poster is a bit dense
Not the brightest spark ?

One of the solutions for charging is to have roads that recharge you as you drive over them

Anyhoo - in 50 years no one* will own a car it will all be autonomous vehicles managed by apps. Self owned vehicles in themselves are massively inefficient

*insurance will be prohibitive to all but the very few

Not the brightest spark ?
Nope, him and his mate stole a load of fireworks and batteries from a local shop.

“His mate got let off but he got charged”

Last edited:
One of the solutions for charging is to have roads that recharge you as you drive over them

Anyhoo - in 50 years no one* will own a car it will all be autonomous vehicles managed by apps. Self owned vehicles in themselves are massively inefficient

*insurance will be prohibitive to all but the very few

Nope, him and his mate stole a load of fireworks and batteries from a local shop.

“His mate got let off but he got charged”
Positive and negative results I guess

Im getting around 30 to 40mpg in real terms and the weekly mileage is taking a toll on the vehicle value. I’m seriously considering an electric car but I’m also sceptical that I’m actually no better off in the long term. Some basic research shows there is a cost saving to be had (see below) but I’m after real life experience from anyone who already owns an electric or hybrid car. While life costs, warts and all.

Logon or register to see this image

What I can’t see is realistic driving costs. We all own vehicles which state x mpg but I never achieve this (heavy left foot).

Electric is the future. Once they've perfected nuclear fusion which is clean energy, everything will go electric

Consider the most modern petrol cars are only 20-30% efficient. Electrical motors are 90%

I have the BMW i3 absolutely love it, costs about 2.40 to charge and then gets me about 120-240 miles out of it, I am saving 250 notes a month on fuel at least

Last edited:
If I’m to be overly critical, once the power has entered the grid, it’s not possible to split it between suppliers. It’s just there. If you have elected to pay for your power to come from a renewable source, then that is commendable, but it’s largely administrative as your cash is going to a company who supply wind or solar, but what you consume could be from a variety of sources.
That’s not how it works, of course you can’t get renewable only electricity directly from the grid. The energy company such as Bulb know how much you consume and then generate an equivalent amount via renewable means, hence it’s neutral.

That’s not how it works, of course you can’t get renewable only electricity directly from the grid. The energy company such as Bulb know how much you consume and then generate an equivalent amount via renewable means, hence it’s neutral.

So every amp can be accurately traced back to source? I think not.

So every amp can be accurately traced back to source? I think not.
Why would you need to trace every amp?

If they have say 1000 customers using 1000kwh per year, that’s 1million kWh/year, they simply invest in renewable generation schemes to produce that amount of generation and export to grid.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a hippy’s self righteousness
He hasn’t used any facts. Im an electrical engineer rather than a hippy, I wouldn’t expect a copper to understand these matters.

Why would you need to trace every amp?

If they have say 1000 customers using 1000kwh per year, that’s 1million kWh/year, they simply invest in renewable generation schemes to produce that amount of generation and export to grid.

I understand completely the method of proportioning the sales side of power. My point is that it matters not where the power is generated from. It’s largely academic in terms of where I buy it from.

The grid is the grid. It supplies homes as per demand.

How and to what company the money goes to/ supplies demand isn’t relevant.

If there were two grids, one supplying power from non renewable sources and the other solar and wind, then I’d accept your point. As it is, there is only one grid. Power goes in, it’s tge distributed to homes. The commercial split is largely irrelevant.

I have the BMW i3 absolutely love it, costs about 2.40 to charge and then gets me about 120-240 miles out of it, I am saving 250 notes a month on fuel at least
What kind of mileage are you doing to save that amount per month?

I generally fill up once a month and get around 450-460 miles out of a tank. Costs about £70-£75 a pop at today's prices (2.0 diesel).

What kind of mileage are you doing to save that amount per month?

I generally fill up once a month and get around 450-460 miles out of a tank. Costs about £70-£75 a pop at today's prices (2.0 diesel).

About 2.5k a month, loads of places where the charging is free as well

Last edited:

Back