Leccy cars, are they really cheaper?

Im getting around 30 to 40mpg in real terms and the weekly mileage is taking a toll on the vehicle value. I’m seriously considering an electric car but I’m also sceptical that I’m actually no better off in the long term. Some basic research shows there is a cost saving to be had (see below) but I’m after real life experience from anyone who already owns an electric or hybrid car. While life costs, warts and all.

Logon or register to see this image

What I can’t see is realistic driving costs. We all own vehicles which state x mpg but I never achieve this (heavy left foot).

Electric cars are no solution to the problem at hand and simply won’t work in the long term

We are told at various intervals that the U.K. is on a cliff edge as regards electricity supplies to the the tune of just having a few days supply at any one time iirc

If everyone changes to electric cars we will surely end up with massive problem here?

I see the lady next door hooking her bmw up to the system and wonder how much this is costing her and what the drain on the network would be from 10m cars

Anyone know?

Electric cars are no solution to the problem at hand and simply won’t work in the long term

We are told at various intervals that the U.K. is on a cliff edge as regards electricity supplied to the the time of just having s few days supply st any one time iirc

If everyone changes to electric cars we will surely end up with massive problem here?

I see the lady next door hooking her bmw up to the system and wonder how much this is costing her and what the drain on the network would be from 10m cars

Anyone know?

They are an easy way for the government to look like it's doing something green. It also supports the automobile industry.

The reality is that it'll not change much, still pollutes, still causes congestion, extra infrastructure required etc. The targets to go all electric for new sales are also about 15 years behind our European neighbours.

If they're cheaper for your average punter then fair enough but when the entry point is so high I would imagine they're no more cost efficient than a standard diesel or petrol car?

They are an easy way for the government to look like it's doing something green. It also supports the automobile industry.

The reality is that it'll not change much, still pollutes, still causes congestion, extra infrastructure required etc. The targets to go all electric for new sales are also about 15 years behind our European neighbours.

If they're cheaper for your average punter then fair enough but when the entry point is so high I would imagine they're no more cost efficient than a standard diesel or petrol car?
Electric cars will fuel huge demand for power, says National Grid

There simply won’t be enough power if everyone changes and I agree with you

Clearly the ICE has to be replaced but all the government will do is kick the can down the road and think of ways of taxing it as it won’t want to lose the revenue from oil based products that it currently gets

Electricity may well rocket in price as it becomes scarcer.

Do you have solar panels on your roof? It's an investment but if your going to be living in the same house for many years forget the feed in tariff cuts and think of it is the solar panel installation more or less than the cost of fuel for the rest of your life? You may need to factor in a battery since most people are out during the day when the solar panels are generating the majority of their power.

Theyre still not much good if you need to travel long distances

Tesla's will do 300miles. That's a long way for anyone, plan to do a 20-30min stop in the middle where there is a supercharger and you will get an extra 100-150miles of range.

Electric cars will fuel huge demand for power, says National Grid

There simply won’t be enough power if everyone changes and I agree with you

Clearly the ICE has to be replaced but all the government will do is kick the can down the road and think of ways of taxing it as it won’t want to lose the revenue from oil based products that it currently gets

Electricity may well rocket in price as it becomes scarcer.

It's not one to get into here on a Saturday morning but road user charging will come in to replace VED as electric vehicles become the norm. A tax based on miles drive/time spent in cities and areas of congestion.

Think Leeds are looking at this now and its a matter of time before it replaces congestion charging zones and then VED long term.

It's not one to get into here on a Saturday morning but road user charging will come in to replace VED as electric vehicles become the norm. A tax based on miles drive/time spent in cities and areas of congestion.

Think Leeds are looking at this now and its a matter of time before it replaces congestion charging zones and then VED long term.
Aye they need to get their money somehow, how else will they fix all of those pot holes? :cool:

From your table, how are the fuel costs calculated?

Seems a big difference

14.2p per mile, just for petrol? That must include running costs surely?

So the electrickery needed to recharge the motor just magically appears does it? Doesnt need a power station kicking out co2 or owt else then
Any reports on how much more CO2 is produced by the extra leccy to power every leccy car they want on the roads?

Back