Leccy cars, are they really cheaper?

Saw something from the national grid which said we would cope in the future but would need smart charging.

So cars would need to be encouraged/forced to charge overnight with cheaper rates, and the chargers would come on automatically at different times to spread the load.

Said its basically wasted power currently during the night.

Stay well clear of electric cars for now
We have a b class electric drive
Cant wait to get rid
Changing to a toyota chr hybrid in feb
On the face of it they seem great
Very cheap to run.
Thats where it ends. Round the doors and to and from work great. But forget going on any medium to long journeys in the countryside.
Turn up at various charging points for them to be out of order, this is a regular occurence
Until they change the support for electric vehicles, eg charging points i wont be going near one again. They may work as a second car but not as your main transport

Cant wait to get rid
Very cheap to run.
Thats where it ends. Round the doors and to and from work great. But forget going on any medium to long journeys in the countryside.
Turn up at various charging points for them to be out of order, this is a regular occurence
Until they change the support for electric vehicles, eg charging points i wont be going near one again. They may work as a second car but not as your main transport
I have the CHR...best car ever had...love it.

Cant wait to get rid
Very cheap to run.
2nd car -perfect:cool:

Cant wait to get rid
Very cheap to run.

I’m sold on the concept and believe in the environmental benefits, but it is still early adoption stage yet. It’s coming tho, it’s past the point of no return for manufacturers map full adoption will happen, and the infrastructure to go with it too.

I’m due a new motor end of next year, so will probably go with a PHEV in the interim until the range and charging infrastructure is suitable for my needs.

Hydrogen will be the fuel of the future
I disagree, there is no hydrogen infrastructure, and no plans to implement one.

We have an existing electricity network, EVs are already clearly the way things are going.

Electrification is the route things will take, along with cleaner generation, as has happened over the last 5 years and will continue to do so.

Step dad has a plug in hybrid Passat. Gets about 1000miles to the tank. Has the dsg semis auto box. Recharges under braking (kers style tech) and can run in electric only petrol only or hybrid. Lovely motor.

Step dad has a plug in hybrid Passat. Gets about 1000miles to the tank. Has the dsg semis auto box. Recharges under braking (kers style tech) and can run in electric only petrol only or hybrid. Lovely motor.

Passat gte? Vw claim the range is about 640 for that, 30 miles electric. So real world it’s probably 500 ish petrol and 20 odd electric

He isn’t getting 1000 mile out of a tank, sorry.

Back