Learning the guitar

Some people swear by them. Personally, I hate them. :lol:

And ya never see pros with them.

This is a proper tuner...

Logon or register to see this image
I like but that's gonna knock me back £75 and then for acoustic you would need a mic and a decent mic is not cheap.

I think for a beginner on an acoustic a headstock tuner would probably do. To be honest you only need to get the bottom E string at the right pitch and then can tune manually across the 5th frets (4th fret for the second top string).

I like but that's gonna knock me back £75 and then for acoustic you would need a mic and a decent mic is not cheap.

I think for a beginner on an acoustic a headstock tuner would probably do. To be honest you only need to get the bottom E string at the right pitch and then can tune manually across the 5th frets (4th fret for the second top string).
I treated myself to a nice Peterson tuner a while back. Got settings for different tunings, different pitches, different instruments and a sweetener setting for that troublesome B string.

All depends what you're up to.

Even with a mic, the TU-3 is no use to an acoustic guitar with no pickup. You can plug an electro-acoustic* into it no bother however. But that said, I agree, the outlay is way too excessive for a bedroom guitar player. The app as mentioned above however would work no bother.

*Here's a tip for anyone thinking about buying an acoustic - buy an electro-acoustic, i.e. an acoustic guitar with a built-in pre-amp and pickup. Most acoustics you'll find these days are anyway, and it may well be you never plug it in to anything unless you want to get out and perform, but it's always nice to have the option /versatility.

Coming back to your comment Mercia, yes relative tuning is a good trick to have up your sleeve. However, there may come a time when you want to mess about with open and alternate tunings, and a good electric tuner will be invaluable then.

For what it's worth, this is the tuner I started out with...

Probably about £8 out of the Argos about 20 year ago. Still going strong and I think I've replaced the battery only once. Never steered me wrong.
I treated myself to a nice Peterson tuner a while back. Got settings for different tunings, different pitches, different instruments and a sweetener setting for that troublesome B string.

Strobes are meant to be the boyos like, but that's still an ugly bastard clip on ya headstock.

I also wonder exactly how accurate it needs to be anarl. AC/DC tuned up to an out of tune piano FFS. If it sounds right, it is right.

Last edited:

Even with a mic, the TU-3 is no use to an acoustic guitar with no pickup. You can plug an electro-acoustic* into it no bother however. But that said, I agree, the outlay is way too excessive for a bedroom guitar player. The app as mentioned above however would work no bother.

*Here's a tip for anyone thinking about buying an acoustic - buy an electro-acoustic, i.e. an acoustic guitar with a built-in pre-amp and pickup. Most acoustics you'll find these days are anyway, and it may well be you never plug it in to anything unless you want to get out and perform, but it's always nice to have the option /versatility.

Coming back to your comment Mercia, yes relative tuning is a good trick to have up your sleeve. However, there may come a time when you want to mess about with open and alternate tunings, and a good electric tuner will be invaluable then.

Probably about £8 out of the Argos about 20 year ago. Still going strong and I think I've replaced the battery only once. Never steered me wrong.

Strobes are meant to be the boyos like, but that's still an ugly bastard clip on ya headstock.

I also wonder exactly how accurate it needs to be anarl. AC/DC tuned up to an out of tune piano FFS. If it sounds right, it is right.
I got it for my Gretsch reso to be honest, she's a parky bint. :lol:

Speaking of AC/DC, you're not wrong like. The entirety of Highway to Hell is flat because they tuned to each other. I think the title track is an entire quarter step down. :lol:

Last edited:

I do have an electro-acoustic Grand Auditorium in addition to the Dreadnaught Acoustic but to be honest there is not much difference in size. It's a nice guitar and the action is good. I also have a Yamaha Pacifica that one of my sons gave me but never play that to be honest. Maybe when I'm feeling flush sometime I might get a Boss tuner. Certainly a good make.

Regarding electro-acoustic you raise a good point. They are not the same as the old semi-acoustics and more or less the same as their purely acoustic counterparts. Some brands even supply the two versions at the same price. Again if anyone interested this is a good video. Although I notice Mike Dawes is using a headstock tuner ;)

Last edited:
Nobody used tuners back in the day, murder trying to tune a bass up at a noisy gig, but we managed, a tuner would have been useful though, there's still a lot of top session men and producers that hate tuners and won't use them, they tune to a keyboard, lots like to tune the B string ever so slightly flat to.

You simply cannot beat a floor mounted tuner. Mutes your guitar so you tune up without your band mates or audience hearing. Takes seconds and these days there is no excuse for not being in tune.

Unless your intonation is out but we are now “chasing the cat” so let’s pretend all guitars intonate perfectly.

You simply cannot beat a floor mounted tuner. Mutes your guitar so you tune up without your band mates or audience hearing. Takes seconds and these days there is no excuse for not being in tune.

Unless your intonation is out but we are now “chasing the cat” so let’s pretend all guitars intonate perfectly.
See a fair few rack mounted tuners these days. Couldn't be arsed with that personally.

I havent touched an electric guitar for years. The first guitar I owned was a Wilson Rapier strat copy. Firebird red with a white scratchplate and a whammy bar. Bought it from the guitarist from NWOBHM band FIST. Think I gave £25 for it. Looked cool as with it hanging off me. Could barely play a note. Only kept at it because lasses were into guitarists, or people in bands.

Not easy is it? Just startedlearning at 43 and struggling a bit with it, my decrepit old fingers aren’t helping but gonna keep plugging away each day till I can make some kind of tune out of the bastard, if the wife doesn’t kill me first.

Any tips for beginners?
yeh, give up and play drums..it's way cooler...

I think that beginners need to remember that everyone was once a beginner. Making your hand make these strange shapes isn't natural but some do it quicker than others.

My mountain to climb was learning how to play "Paradise City" and that chord progression covers a lot. I distinctly remember the day I could go from G to C and then F. I couldn't the day before. Something just unlocked in my brain and it's the wall. There are many walls that come after that, different chords etc. But you have to have the motivation to get through those early challenges when learning the guitar, or any instrument.

They all have them

I think that beginners need to remember that everyone was once a beginner. Making your hand make these strange shapes isn't natural but some do it quicker than others.

My mountain to climb was learning how to play "Paradise City" and that chord progression covers a lot. I distinctly remember the day I could go from G to C and then F. I couldn't the day before. Something just unlocked in my brain and it's the wall. There are many walls that come after that, different chords etc. But you have to have the motivation to get through those early challenges when learning the guitar, or any instrument.

They all have them
How long 'til you could tackle the outro solo?

They all have them
Aye it's mad. That's why I said earlier that if you hit a wall and it's just not going, to put the guitar down for the day. You brain processes everything you've done and learned during the day while you sleep, that's why the next day sometimes you can just pick it up and hit it flawlessly. :lol:

Aye - and get a decent enough electric tuner to help you. Please do not fuck about with pitch pipes. :lol:

PS...I hate clip on tuners. Aside from being unsightly, they're generally pretty crap. Get summit ya can plug into or has mic.

Mind you, I tend to use the app I downloaded onto me phone these days.
I use Guitar Tuna, quick and easy, no adds.

just download Guitar Tuna for free on your mobile phone. It more than does the job of keeping it in tune enough for someone just learning at home

I've got a couple of old guitars (average shitters would be my description). Is there anyone that would take them? Any organisations or owt or any new/wannabe learners off here?

Not the greatest description for a potential instrument like I guess :lol:

I've got a couple of old guitars (average shitters would be my description). Is there anyone that would take them? Any organisations or owt or any new/wannabe learners off here?

I still have my original acoustic from 20 years ago, which is really terrible, makes me wonder how I learned on it. I am going to take the strings off, paint it crazy colours, put fake flowers in the soundhole and put it up on my office wall

Had a hectic week so not picked it up all week, but had an hour tonight and can almost do the intro to outside by staind.

my fingers are proper ***** tho I doubt I’ll ever be able to play because of them, the joints are a mess!

I could be interested if one is better than the boys oneI’m playing.

Back