Learning the guitar

yamaha make very good guitars from their cheap ones right up to higher end stuff.

I have 2 and have owned loads in the past. Never had a Yamaha electric mind although I did fancy a Revstar I just could not risk getting divorced over a £600 guitar.

a masterbuilt tele - well that’s another matter altogether.

Imagine joe public gets that guitar and just “gets it” like Mozart with the piano and writes a multi platinum album and becomes the SMB Ed Sheeran.

what a story
That will definitely not happen!

how do I tune down a half step? They keep telling me to do this for certain songs but I haven’t a clue what it means

how do I tune down a half step? They keep telling me to do this for certain songs but I haven’t a clue what it means
Literally tune each string down by a note on the fretboard.
Just Google dropped tuning half step.

Last edited:

Get started in standard tuning mate there is enough to learn (unless you want to play along with the record.)

Its more fun playing than tuning your guitar all the time and you will snap strings if you keep altering the pitch. Most people keep guitars in one tuning - its easier.

Practice loads. Learn easy songs that you like for fun.
At the moment Fender online lessons are great if you can find a cheap code. They take you on an easy learning curve playing in whatever genre you fancy. I've done the Country, Rock and Folk paths so far and I'm no longer the worst guitarist in the world.

Practice loads. Learn easy songs that you like for fun.
At the moment Fender online lessons are great if you can find a cheap code. They take you on an easy learning curve playing in whatever genre you fancy. I've done the Country, Rock and Folk paths so far and I'm no longer the worst guitarist in the world.
Looking for a refresher as it's a couple of years since I last played, are those fender lessons good?

Imagine joe public gets that guitar and just “gets it” like Mozart with the piano and writes a multi platinum album and becomes the SMB Ed Sheeran.

what a story
I'm interested in the chapter where he gets in some kind of accident that leaves him horribly disfigured enough to be compared to Ed.

Once bought an interface for my laptop to plug a mic/guitar in from CEX and the young lass behind the counter was like "Oh you fancy yourself as Ed Sheeran?" I went "Aye, probably the same on the looks front." She laughs and goes "Haha, you're WAY better looking than him." Poor Ed, even I'm higher up the food chain than him, apparently.

I'm interested in the chapter where he gets in some kind of accident that leaves him horribly disfigured enough to be compared to Ed.

Once bought an interface for my laptop to plug a mic/guitar in from CEX and the young lass behind the counter was like "Oh you fancy yourself as Ed Sheeran?" I went "Aye, probably the same on the looks front." She laughs and goes "Haha, you're WAY better looking than him." Poor Ed, even I'm higher up the food chain than him, apparently.
I hope you steamed right in.

Looking for a refresher as it's a couple of years since I last played, are those fender lessons good?
It 's probably a decent way to refresh your memory. You can fly through the early lessons and get to the level you want to be at pretty quick. There was a 3 month free trial a few months ago, that might still be valid and perfect for easing back to playing.
It 's probably a decent way to refresh your memory. You can fly through the early lessons and get to the level you want to be at pretty quick. There was a 3 month free trial a few months ago, that might still be valid and perfect for easing back to playing.
Just checked, it's only 14 days free now. Long enough to decide if it's right for ya though.

Last edited:
The bairn has being doing guitar lessons at school since they went back in September and he's enjoying it. Comes back home and plays us whatever tune he's learned after he has a lesson.

I bought him a guitar during lockdown to see if I could teach him some basics but he'd just get frustrated with it. He didn't have the patience and neither did I. Some people aren't cut out to be teachers :lol:

The bairn has being doing guitar lessons at school since they went back in September and he's enjoying it. Comes back home and plays us whatever tune he's learned after he has a lesson.

I bought him a guitar during lockdown to see if I could teach him some basics but he'd just get frustrated with it. He didn't have the patience and neither did I. Some people aren't cut out to be teachers :lol:
I pity the bloke that used to teach me, it must have been hell for him

Back