Learning the guitar

I thought that might be the answer 🤣

First of all, I’m a learner. I can strum a few songs, but I’m at a very basic level.

I’m learning on an Epiphone Dot borrowed from my brother in law.

It doesn’t need to be loud as it is for home playing.

Not particularly fussed about effects due to my current level.

No real budget.

Basically looking for a good all rounder for a beginner. One to grow with.
This is a decent little practice amp.

I expect she likes this bloke then

At the other end of the scale to dreadnaughts I wouldn't mind a parlour (oo size) or similar size guitar. I keep my guitars in a hard case in the bedroom but it would be great to have a smaller one hanging around in the living room to just pick up and play. Claptonesque.

You've got to avoid getting gear mania though where you just want more gear for the sake of it although nowt wrong with a variety of different guitar types.
Although very good, my misses gets hormone level drop when she hears Ukeleles. Don't talk to me about gear mania, though I thought I needed all of it to become a sound engineer (that's what they tell you)

ps. Here's the missus...she's been smiling and dancing for two weeks so I know her about as well as you do. She's pretty good, never out of tune and does everythng in one take...enjoy :D

I hate all the fluff on youtube lessons mind. Sitting there talking shite for ages instead of getting on with the playing.

I don't think they're very necessary for beginner/novice things. Only really find them useless for more advanced techniques or more complex parts...and then they're even worse with the waffling on about which custom guitar they're playing through what boutique amp. Pains in the arse. Pick out some songs, look up the chord sheets, and get strumming.

Learn your major/minor open chords. G, D, C...there's a few songs learnt before you even know it.

A, Am, E and Em.... move them up a fret at a time and it's every chord there is. Learn how to play these 4 chords with your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers, then when it comes to barring your B, Bm, F and Fm chords you're already half way there.

Practice barring an A chord with ya index finger.... then you can do a nice hammer-on to a suspended 4th chord and chew some Wrigley's bubble gum.

DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR STRUMMING HAND. I've seen so many beginner/novice/amateur guitar players who can finger the chords nee bother, play you a song, but they're sawing the guitar in half with the strumming hand. Oasis are very good to practice strumming. Wonderwall for example: Down, down, down up down down, down up down down, down up down down down. Just practice that pattern with an open hand against the body of the guitar away from the strings. Think of it was brush strokes... flick your fingers out on the downstrokes and flick back with thumb on the upstroke. It'll get the wrist moving.

Oasis, again, very good to get you going with chord changes. Wonderwall, Whatever, Live Forever. All similarish chords and changes. Wonderwall and Whatever you keep the 3rd and 4th fingers in the same position for almost the full song, you only need to concentrate on shifting the index and 2nd finger about.
B7 the next step. That always looked like something you needed extra fingers for but once mastered works up the neck and is good for blues.

First of all, I’m a learner. I can strum a few songs, but I’m at a very basic level.

No real budget.

There are hundreds but I will recommend the one I actually bought myself.

Yamaha THR - there are a few models but it has some effects, its small but loud enough and the tones its has are amazing. You can use some of them as a recording interface should you go down that route.

@DufraisFTM

No real budget.

Obviously it's just a personal opinion, but a learner will see the Fender or Marshall logo on a budget amp and think "Oooh, that'll be good, they're dead famous and that." but the ones they knock out for cheap are generally a bit tod.

Bound to be told I'm talking out my arse, but if you're looking for something to grow with, I'd not get anything smaller than a 12" speaker. Aye, if it's for daft practise and you'll use headphones with it, it doesn't matter, but you did say to grow with.

Yamaha THR - there are a few models but it has some effects, its small but loud enough and the tones its has are amazing. You can use some of them as a recording interface should you go down that route.

@DufraisFTM
Number one in the link I provided. Good choice, sir.

Obviously it's just a personal opinion, but a learner will see the Fender or Marshall logo on a budget amp and think "Oooh, that'll be good, they're dead famous and that." but the ones they knock out for cheap are generally a bit tod.

Bound to be told I'm talking out my arse, but if you're looking for something to grow with, I'd not get anything smaller than a 12" speaker. Aye, if it's for daft practise and you'll use headphones with it, it doesn't matter, but you did say to grow with.
Sound tech is really changing and no longer needs 12 or 15 inch drive units unless for bass. I use an AER compact 60 which has a dual cone 8 inch speaker - its one of the best acoustic amps in the world.

Bose PAs now use line array small speakers and have amazing sound.
Number one in the link I provided. Good choice, sir.
Its worth getting the proper Yamaha gig bag for it - not cheap but will protect it well. I think mine was around 40 quid

Last edited:
I borrowed a bass and amp off my cousin when I was a kid, learnt to play Anarchy and Warhead by the Subs and just played the shit out of it after that. If I wasn't out playing foota I was in my bedroom playing the bass. Eventually got a guitar and started a band when I was 14. It's never too late to learn. Easier when you're young but It's a piece of piss once you grasp the basics unless you want to play like f***ing Yngwie Malmsteen.

@DufraisFTM
Do you have this one or a bigger one? Seems like a pretty good deal that in the sale.

Do you have this one or a bigger one? Seems like a pretty good deal that in the sale.
I have the 10. The first production run. I know they changed some of the specs so mine is a modeller of guitar amps fender, vox, Marshall, Mesa with chorus, flanger, phaser and delay/reverb. Good amp.

And tremolo but I find the control for the term a bit on/off.

I have a Strymon for Trem effects as they are superb.

Last edited:

Lots Of the guitar tones recorded on Led Zep 1 were from a little Supro amp. With a 6" speaker, the lad is asking for a simple practice amp, If he develops, he can buy something else for gigs and such, he’ll still need a small basic amp just to practice on in the house.
This thread's turning into a dick waving contest, the people asking the questions are beginners, they need to learn to walk first not run, and If they fail, they won't have spunked a load of money doing so, not having a go at you mate, I'm just commenting on the whole thread.

Although very good, my misses gets hormone level drop when she hears Ukeleles. Don't talk to me about gear mania, though I thought I needed all of it to become a sound engineer (that's what they tell you)

ps. Here's the missus...she's been smiling and dancing for two weeks so I know her about as well as you do. She's pretty good, never out of tune and does everythng in one take...enjoy :D

She can belt a tune out. Good voice on her and she has that little bit extra compared to most that shows in her vocal control and expression. Years ago I knew a lass with that kind of expression. When they start to sing you can just tell straight away that they are a real singer.

This thread's turning into a dick waving contest, the people asking the questions are beginners, they need to learn to walk first not run, and If they fail, they won't have spunked a load of money doing so, not having a go at you mate, I'm just commenting on the whole thread.

I'm just vicariously getting my GAS hit through someone else's potential new purchase :lol:

Boss Katana mk1, 2nd hand off FB. Set it to 0.5w in the house, 50w is in the back pocket if ever needed. Decide to jack it in? Hoy it back on for what you paid.

Last edited:

Back