Learning the guitar

Reet am done for today, out about 2 hours in and my fingers are knacking. Starting to learn the chord names now and learned about 6 or 7 chords, putting them together in a meaningful tune will be awhile away I think but wasn’t to master them properly before owt else.

will only get a few minutes a day thru the week like.

Got one of them with the smith but it’s only a cheap one.

sent that Alvarez to the missus so she can ask Santa for it for me.
If you want to know more about the Alvarez brand which is owned by the St Louis Music Co then this video is insightful and features Chris Meikle their Senior Vice President who funny enough is from Durham.

Last edited:

Lee is usually fairly unbiased in his recommendations and Andertons don't simply try to sell you the dearest item that you're after. Fairly sound shop in my experience and never a hassle.
echo that - they are good to deal with
Rabea used to do some of their vids and he is a good player

I have always placed an F chord by playing the top string with my thumb. Find it much more comfortable and quicker to change chords to and from it rather than doing a barre chord
I never bar an F chord I play it the same way I play a C chord just move it to the lower/higher strings and add my index finger.

BTW @Joe Public you asked about a capo. It’s purely to help you sing i tune so if your voice is higher than the recording of a song you know you put the call on and Ann play the same chords in the same shapes but the end result matches your voice without having to transpose the chords however many steps up.

Example - I mentioned ‘That’s Entertainment’ - on the original recording you need a capo on the third fret if you want to play it exactly as on the record / video. Mind as Weller’s voice has got lower and huskier with age I noticed when he played it with Noel Gallagher at some acoustic gig more recently they did it with no capo.

Was sitting with a friend of a friend earlier this year and he taught himself. Could play anything I asked. He was like Clapton. Mind blowing.

To be honest at £219 and free postage it's a cracking deal. It has a solid sitka spruce top which does improve the sound. I have an Alvarez AD60 that cost £300 at the time and it is good with a good base tone being a dreadnaught. My son has a solid wood Alvarez that cost £750 and it is from the Masterbuild Elite series and is superb but like the video in the link says you start paying a lot more for a slighter increase in quality. The major increase in quality is when you go over £200 and the guitar has a solid top. To be honest some of the early guitars I had were a pain to play, Eko, Yamaha and Hofner. I don't have fond memories of my early guitars although I really first leaned on a Gibson and Antoria that belonged to a friend I shared a house with in my student days. I think you will probably keep the Alvarez for life and probably wont want another guitar for a while although once you start....

The Alvarez stuff are very good value for money, the cheaper ones are made in China (iirc) from a big OEM factory who manufacture for a bunch of other big outfits and the quality is pretty good. The slightly higher end (used to be Alvarez Yairi) were Japan built and are tremendous guitars. The general standard of guitars these days is very good these days.

echo that - they are good to deal with
Rabea used to do some of their vids and he is a good player

good ? he's mental level good ? assume you've seen the stuff he's done with Leo Moracchioli on the youtube ?

taster:
The Alvarez stuff are very good value for money, the cheaper ones are made in China (iirc) from a big OEM factory who manufacture for a bunch of other big outfits and the quality is pretty good. The slightly higher end (used to be Alvarez Yairi) were Japan built and are tremendous guitars. The general standard of guitars these days is very good these days.

Harley Benton is decent for the money, sometimes need a setup, squier classic vibes and epiphone hitting it out of the park right now... fender player series also good value...

find the post a picture of your axe thread for more of this type of guitar pr0n =o)

Last edited:
I’m using marty Schwartz YouTube channel at the minute but I’m a spaz.

I’ve got about 5 chords learned but hard to remember their names, it’s the strumming rhythm I’m finding hardest but can tell the difference from a few days ago so hopefully it will come.
Do I need a capo?
Get the best guitar you can afford is my tip. Nowt worse that trying to learn on a crappy thing with strings like cheesewire and an.action that needs a G clamp to hold down a chord. Get an electronic guitar tuner, and tune your guitar properly every time you pick it up. Final tip would be to practive every day, even if it's just for 15 minutes. This is better than once a week for a couple of hours. 43 is ok to start learning. Just keep at it and don't get hung up with things like strum patterns, that will come later. Juat try playing a chlrd, the changing to the next one at ypur own pace. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can do it after a short while. Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

good ? he's mental level good ? assume you've seen the stuff he's done with Leo Moracchioli on the youtube ?

taster:

Harley Benton is decent for the money, sometimes need a setup, squier classic vibes and epiphone hitting it out of the park right now... fender player series also good value...

find the post a picture of your axe thread for more of this type of guitar pr0n =o)

Some of the newer Harley Benton guitars look very good,

Get the best guitar you can afford is my tip. Nowt worse that trying to learn on a crappy thing with strings like cheesewire and an.action that needs a G clamp to hold down a chord. Get an electronic guitar tuner, and tune your guitar properly every time you pick it up. Final tip would be to practive every day, even if it's just for 15 minutes. This is better than once a week for a couple of hours. 43 is ok to start learning. Just keep at it and don't get hung up with things like strum patterns, that will come later. Juat try playing a chlrd, the changing to the next one at ypur own pace. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can do it after a short while. Good luck, and enjoy yourself.
Very few of those about these days, you can get a very good guitar for £100, playable straight out of the box, back when I started, there were no light gauge strings and cheap guitars were just that, cheap, it was hell on the fingers, most companies do a 30 day return too, so if you're not happy with the instrument, you can return it and buy something else.

I'm
Very few of those about these days, you can get a very good guitar for £100, playable straight out of the box, back when I started, there were no light gauge strings and cheap guitars were just that, cheap, it was hell on the fingers, most companies do a 30 day return too, so if you're not happy with the instrument, you can return it and buy something else.
I'm trying to remember the name of the guitar and amp combo my mate bought from the pages of NME. Cost £39. Unplayable.

Amps will disappear in a pro setting in the next few years. The days of a big back line are going and with the advances in the way devices like Kemper and Helix are re-creating the dynamics of amps, there will be no need. Marshall saw this years ago and are changing.

You can now play through any amp you want paired with any cab and add almost any pedal.

No noisy ground loops, no need for isolated power supplies, no long tone sucking leads - just a guitar, wireless connection and a good sound man.

Is "Bert Weedon Play In A Day" still going? Loads of us started out on "Little Brown Jug"

I did. Sort of. I progressed to ‘Play EVERY Day the Bert Weedon Way’ but tbh they were both my brothers (pro musician eventually) and I got bored and just messed around. Still doing that and playing for my own amusement.

I'm

I'm trying to remember the name of the guitar and amp combo my mate bought from the pages of NME. Cost £39. Unplayable.
:lol: Yes there were bags of cheap crap about then, to be honest, Gibson's and Fender's hadn't been in the country that long when I first started, most British bands were using stuff like Burns, futurama, Hofners, Guild, etc, and strings were heavy gauge, you can hear on early 60s records how they struggle to bend them, I think it was in the late 60s, when people started to use Banjo strings for a top E, throw away the low E and string it with the A replacing the low E and so on, and all Bass guitars had flat wound strings, John Entwistle was responsible for the invention of round wounds IIRC. Different world now, so easy to learn how to play, what with YouTube and Tabs. Back then, you were lucky If you knew anyone that played.

:lol: Yes there were bags of cheap crap about then, to be honest, Gibson's and Fender's hadn't been in the country that long when I first started, most British bands were using stuff like Burns, futurama, Hofners, Guild, etc, and strings were heavy gauge, you can hear on early 60s records how they struggle to bend them, I think it was in the late 60s, when people started to use Banjo strings for a top E, throw away the low E and string it with the A replacing the low E and so on, and all Bass guitars had flat wound strings, John Entwistle was responsible for the invention of round wounds IIRC. Different world now, so easy to learn how to play, what with YouTube and Tabs. Back then, you were lucky If you knew anyone that played.
YouTube has created legions of bedroom widdlers who can play amazing licks and runs but could not cut it in a band live on stage with a crowd. There is so much more to being in a band than just being able to play guitar drums or bass.

YouTube has created legions of bedroom widdlers who can play amazing licks and runs but could not cut it in a band live on stage with a crowd. There is so much more to being in a band than just being able to play guitar drums or bass.
They'll be lucky to find a stage or a crowd now, man.

Back