Learning the guitar

I bought a guitar when I was 17, wanted to be Slash, found that was really difficult, especially on the really cheap strat copy that needed pretty high action to stop any fret buzz. Never really made that much progress and had the typical thing of pick it up and play for a week then leave it for months. One thing was that I'd pick 2 or 3 songs and want to practice them over and over again until I got really good. Never got the really good and just reached really board.

I bought a Fender Squire a couple of years ago and started concentrating on rhythm rather than lead and that is far more fun (or at least achievable). I bought an acoustic a few months ago too, and with my wife learning keyboard we have had a few fun jam sessions.

What I have been doing the last few months is learning a wider range of songs, except now I have the problem why my guitar practice play list is so long that songs don't come round that often so I'm not really getting any better at each song but playing regularly. Washing up just now I heard the acoustic version of Zombie by the Cranberries and it turns out that is fairly easy, so that is now 27 on my list. 27 songs I can muddle through averagely but enjoy them.

I've got a bit of lab space at work away from most offices that doesn't get visited that often. I still had my old crappy guitar I got when I was 17 so I'm going to take it into work and do the odd half hour on lunch breaks.

I think I'd be happy if I could get one song that I could play and sing along to after a few beers and not sound awful. Aim for averageness.

I bought a guitar when I was 17, wanted to be Slash, found that was really difficult, especially on the really cheap strat copy that needed pretty high action to stop any fret buzz. Never really made that much progress and had the typical thing of pick it up and play for a week then leave it for months. One thing was that I'd pick 2 or 3 songs and want to practice them over and over again until I got really good. Never got the really good and just reached really board.

I bought a Fender Squire a couple of years ago and started concentrating on rhythm rather than lead and that is far more fun (or at least achievable). I bought an acoustic a few months ago too, and with my wife learning keyboard we have had a few fun jam sessions.

What I have been doing the last few months is learning a wider range of songs, except now I have the problem why my guitar practice play list is so long that songs don't come round that often so I'm not really getting any better at each song but playing regularly. Washing up just now I heard the acoustic version of Zombie by the Cranberries and it turns out that is fairly easy, so that is now 27 on my list. 27 songs I can muddle through averagely but enjoy them.

I've got a bit of lab space at work away from most offices that doesn't get visited that often. I still had my old crappy guitar I got when I was 17 so I'm going to take it into work and do the odd half hour on lunch breaks.

I think I'd be happy if I could get one song that I could play and sing along to after a few beers and not sound awful. Aim for averageness.
People that I know that have performed in public tend to rehearse a song over and over until they could play it in their sleep. That way when they go on stage and their legs feel like jelly, the practice comes in automatically and they can do their job. So there is no harm in practicing a song to perfection.

One of the strings snapped the other day, I bought some new ones the same as the ones that were on, is there a knack to stringing it as it doesn’t seem to sit on the bridge???

Just down from the machine heads (the tuners), you have three hex bolts securing three nuts that lock your tuning. Tightening a string won't alter the pitch but it will sure snap the string.

It's a freebie from a mate, I haven't snapped one I know of in 40 odd years.

I always worry when changing strings though, bringing the tension up.

Makes sense. I remember going into that shop down Borough Road for some strings. Said I was after some lights and he asked me how much I was thinking of spending. I said about £7 and he looked at me like I was an idiot.

Back