Learning the guitar

Personally I would have replaced all my strings if one had snapped.

Especially not knowing the history.
What history don’t I know? I know when they were restringed, by who and on what date and the exact strings used as he gave me the pack with the date written on last week!

One of the strings snapped the other day, I bought some new ones the same as the ones that were on, is there a knack to stringing it as it doesn’t seem to sit on the bridge???
Hi mate, i wonder, and someone else may be able to advise here but....
The bridge ...could it be possible I've put the saddle in the wrong way round?
When I removed the old strings, the white plastic saddle came out....it just sits in loose. It seemed higher at one end than the other, so put the highest end to the low E, and lower end at high E.

What history don’t I know? I know when they were restringed, by who and on what date and the exact strings used as he gave me the pack with the date written on last week!

Just one of those things. You could actually drop every string down a tone/semitone and, as long as you didn't get any buzz off the frets, it might actually give you more playing time while you're just picking it up.

When I removed the old strings, the white plastic saddle came out....it just sits in loose. It seemed higher at one end than the other, so put the highest end to the low E, and lower end at high E.
It’s on fine now, I was just struggling to get it wrapped round tight enough on me own. Wifey helped me and it’s sounding good again.

I tend to re-string one string at at time starting with the bottom E. Helps to quickly get up to pitch (in the days before headstock tuners) but not sure that method is recommended.
It’s on fine now, I was just struggling to get it wrapped round tight enough on me own. Wifey helped me and it’s sounding good again.
Do you mean at the machine heads? A pair of flat pliers can help to get a good grip.

Last edited:
Will likely be something I’ve done! I’ve bought the exact ones you’ve put on and replaced the snapped one, been playing most of night and seems fine now. Am making decent progress when I can get chance to play!
Good to hear you're making good progress.....got the intro to Outside now?
If you haven't already got one, get a string winder. Only a couple of quid, but makes restringing much easier.

Good to hear you're making good progress.....got the intro to Outside now?
If you haven't already got one, get a string winder. Only a couple of quid, but makes restringing much easier.
Will look one up, never heard of them!

yeah getting there with outside, got intro and verse which are same, starting to move on to the chorus now. My strumming is all over still tho, just when I think I’m getting it my hands go mad and I fuck it up. Just need more time.

Back