Leamside railway line

It would’ve ended up a Newcastle centric mayor and when you know one of the candidates a potentially frightening scenario.
A mayor for the whole NE would have been worse then the tyne and wear development agency. All funds direct to NE1, thankfully Durham, gateshead and south tyneside saw igt the same as wearside and prevented this from happening.

Beat me to it :)
careful what you wish for..... .....it might just happen. Unless you're from Durham.
You get a NE mayor and all the money will go to Newcastle, would be no different to the thankfully now defunct Tyne and Tyne development corp

I'm not sure, the councils lately have been working together a bit better than they have in the past. Obviously they need to sort that problem though, it's working quite well in Teesside and Manchester imo.

I believe it's happening now anyway but agreed that both sides need to benefit rather than it being all Newcastle centric which the centre doesn't need the money. Suburbs different debate mind. Both sides are as bad as each other though tbf.

All I can really recall is the shite block of shops and she lived in a flat, that looked just like the shite block of shops
Aye, barmston flats with the shops underneath. Used to play footie at the bus stop attached to it. Like a post apocalyptic hellscape.She must've been nice for you to go there!

I'm not sure, the councils lately have been working together a bit better than they have in the past. Obviously they need to sort that problem though, it's working quite well in Teesside and Manchester imo.

I believe it's happening now anyway but agreed that both sides need to benefit rather than it being all Newcastle centric which the centre doesn't need the money. Suburbs different debate mind. Both sides are as bad as each other though tbf.
It'll always be the same up here. Should go back to co Durham and Northumberland with border along the Tyne. You could then have your mayor's. Won't happen as Newcastle want to annex gateshead.

Where are the proposed stations for Washington North and Washington South ?
There was an old station bottom of columbia in the olden days.that'd probably be sunderland south. And I reckon the sunderland north one would be bottom of Sulgrave, maybe where the old control tower was, next to the new fire station. Would make sense, as there are loads of factories going up around there.

Where are the proposed stations for Washington North and Washington South ?
From Chronicle:

"Precise station locations in the Follingsby area of Gateshead and two Washington have not been confirmed, but they will be on or close to where the Leamside Line ran. One of the aims of the project is to provide a Metro link to the International Advanced Manufacturing Park in Washington and Follingsby Park industrial estate where Amazon has a depot, so stations near those developments are likely."

From Chronicle:

"Precise station locations in the Follingsby area of Gateshead and two Washington have not been confirmed, but they will be on or close to where the Leamside Line ran. One of the aims of the project is to provide a Metro link to the International Advanced Manufacturing Park in Washington and Follingsby Park industrial estate where Amazon has a depot, so stations near those developments are likely."
The #4 bus (Houghton to Heworth via Washington) changed its route to stop outside Amazon about 18 months ago. I've never seen anyone get on or off at the stop.

From Chronicle:

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism right there :oops::lol:

I did wonder. Is any of the old trackbed built over?
no, I think the whole line was just mothballed?
by the way... the article says £745million?!?! The Borders railway, which was a similar line close to Edinburgh that was closed and mothballed by Beeching, was rebuilt and opened about 10 years ago. This is from the official website:

Construction of the new railway involved extensive mining remediation, just under a million tonnes of earth moved, 30 miles of new railway and 90,000 sleepers laid, development of seven rail stations and six station car parks.

and all that cost just £294million

Last edited:
no, I think the whole line was just mothballed?
by the way... the article says £745million?!?! The Borders railway, which was a similar line close to Edinburgh that was closed and mothballed by Beeching, was rebuilt and opened about 10 years ago. This is from the official website:

and all that cost just £294million
It will never be re-instated with present Govt, all hot air from the politicians.

Lot of inflation their, overhead wires will add some plus repairs to Victoria Viaduct will not be cheap. Still appears expensive to this layman though unless there is more than connection from Pelaw to South Hylton being budgeted for.

The #4 bus (Houghton to Heworth via Washington) changed its route to stop outside Amazon about 18 months ago. I've never seen anyone get on or off at the stop.
I use the #4 to get into town and it p1ssed me off when it detoured into follingsby, last time I used it a couple of weeks back folk got on at the hotpoint shop, none at amazon.
if you catch a shift change folk get on at Amazon.
im convinced it’s not worth every bus going through follingsby maybe during certain times of day would be better or have a 4F that goes through follingsby.
p1sses me off every time I use it now.

Back