Leamside railway line

Haway then why do you think it’ll reopen, where is the money going to come from and, let’s face it, what’s the point?

The Leamside Line is quite badly needed, the ECML between Northallerton and Newcastle is a right choke point and we can't push anymore services along it. The cheapest way to solve the problem between Tursdale (Amazon Durham) and Newcastle is by reopening the Leamside Line either to push slow freight services along or alternatively to push the fast express services missing Durham. To widen the section between Tursdale and Newcastle via Durham would cost an absolute fortune as it's too bendy and has a lot of expensive structures to deal with (CLS and Durham viaducts being the worst two).

South of Tursdale it's reletively straight and wouldn't as much cost to triple / quadruple the track.

Fears Transpennine Express rail services will be cut - Being an example of the problems.

It shouldn't be a Metro service though and the line between South Hylton and Washington is a right waste of money instead being national rail, the same as the Blyth line will be.

Last edited:

The problem is that the Metro uses 1500 Volt DC overhead wires and Network Rail lines use 25000 Volt AC. The two are not compatible so if you reopen the bit of the Leamside over the Victoria Bridge as a Metro line and the rest of the Leamside as heavy rail, it cannot be electrified. So everywhere the Metro goes it puts the kybosh on any chance of proper electrified main line services.
Meh...... just solder in a capacitor, few Tory MP grade crocodile clips and it will be fine man. 😀

The problem is that the Metro uses 1500 Volt DC overhead wires and Network Rail lines use 25000 Volt AC. The two are not compatible so if you reopen the bit of the Leamside over the Victoria Bridge as a Metro line and the rest of the Leamside as heavy rail, it cannot be electrified. So everywhere the Metro goes it puts the kybosh on any chance of proper electrified main line services.

which is exactly why they should never extend the metro south out Sunderland as it will restrict the Durham coast line

which is exactly why they should never extend the metro south out Sunderland as it will restrict the Durham coast line
I sometimes commute to work, or did when my office was open, and nothing was more frustrating than getting stuck behind a metro on a morning. Adds at least 10 minutes to the journey between Sunderland and Newcastle which should only take 15-20 minutes.

Extending it to Seaham would be a disaster for rail services between Newcastle and Boro.

I sometimes commute to work, or did when my office was open, and nothing was more frustrating than getting stuck behind a metro on a morning. Adds at least 10 minutes to the journey between Sunderland and Newcastle which should only take 15-20 minutes.

Extending it to Seaham would be a disaster for rail services between Newcastle and Boro.

absolutely, they should look to keep the track free for rail services for the reasons you’ve gave. If there was a way of upgrading the line linking Sunderland Hartlepool boro to the ECML would be the best thing

Last edited:

I thought the Metro was the remit of Nexus who are only responsible for travel in Tyne and Wear. Dunno how extending it to Seaham would be possible tbh.

They want to extend the operating times before they think about adding any new lines. 11:20 for the last metro back from central meant a right dash from the o2 back in the good ol’ days. Especially if you tried to squeeze in a pint at the town wall afterwards :lol:

I still think this will happen ngl but it won't be for local services which people want it for or Metro's, it'll be for a cheaper option to 4 track the ECML which is badly needed as there's too many trains between Northallerton and Newcastle especially if HS2 ever get's to Leeds.

Back