League Cup win or Promotion

The only point of being in the premier league is that you’re probably gonna be a reasonable enough side to put 6 or 7 wins together in the FA Cup / League Cup and win a major trophy

so we are 100/1 to win the league cup this year, whilst we were in the premier league were we really ever lower odds than 100/1 to win the title?

the premier league IS the place to be, but only if you’re part of the elite. Fans of clubs in the bottom half are probably dying inside slowly

100 percent the league Cup. League 1 winners in a competition completely dominated be Man City. Would be brilliant.
Wed piss the league the season after haha

Let’s face it we will get whopped next round whoever we get. But obviously the league cup. Finishing in the top 2 is simply a must, and it’ll be a huge failure if we don’t.

Which of these would you prefer if you could only have one this season?

As sick as I am of league one i'd love us to win something in my lifetime, I'd take the cup every time.

William hill has us at 150/1 so I know it aint gona happen but daretodream and all that ;)

Sorry, I know some people really hate this type of question. :lol:
Genuinely don’t understand anybody saying promotion over a major trophy which comes along with a European place. I’ve never seen Sunderland win a trophy or play a single game in Europe in my supporting life time (first game in 1975). Promotion this season is completely irrelevant in comparison. If we don’t go up this season, then we will next season or the next etc., but we will go up. We will get back to the Premier League at some point whether we get promoted this season or not. It won’t change anything if we don’t go up this season - we’ll still eventually get back to our rightful place as Premier League lower table fodder. But a cup win and games in Europe ….. well that just changes everything in every way. It also makes us more likely to have long term success - more income, more focus, more limelight, etc.

We won’t win the cup though, and I’d much, much prefer promotion this season over getting to the semi or the final and losing!

Amazed to see people say promotion over league cup final. If the pinnacle of football is just to make up the numbers in the premier league then maybe, but this (hypothetical) achievement would instantly be one of the top moments in our history.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. promotions and relegations come and go, silverware is everything, i dream about seeing us at wembley lifting a major trophy, surely every fan does.

Genuinely don’t understand anybody saying promotion over a major trophy which comes along with a European place. I’ve never seen Sunderland win a trophy or play a single game in Europe in my supporting life time (first game in 1975). Promotion this season is completely irrelevant in comparison. If we don’t go up this season, then we will next season or the next etc., but we will go up. We will get back to the Premier League at some point whether we get promoted this season or not. It won’t change anything if we don’t go up this season - we’ll still eventually get back to our rightful place as Premier League lower table fodder. But a cup win and games in Europe ….. well that just changes everything in every way. It also makes us more likely to have long term success - more income, more focus, more limelight, etc.

We won’t win the cup though, and I’d much, much prefer promotion this season over getting to the semi or the final and losing!
Aye. Lets all look forward to scrapping at the foot of the prem in about 5 years rather than in 6 with a cup in the cabinet and history makers. Will never happen but a no brainer for me.
you are right about the semi/runners up, not worth just that.

Last edited:
A cup win goes down in history. We do need to get out this division but would that mean a struggle in the Championship? In that mindset, a cup win would be more successful.

Aye. Lets all look forward to scrapping at the foot of the prem in about 5 years rather than in 6 with a cup in the cabinet and history makers. Will never happen but a no brainer for me.
you are right about the semi/runners up, not worth just that.
Yep, madness isn’t it. An achievement that would be remembered for ever or an achievement that we’d have forgotten about by October next year.

I
I’d take an FA Cup win over promotion, mind.

I can’t remember the last time I watched a League Cup final (other than ours). Couldn’t name past winners.
definitely remember man city winning it in 2014. Norwich in 1985.

I’d take a cup win over promotion all day long and think anyone who says otherwise must be absolutely f***ing mental.

If we were established in the prem id say go for the league cup win. However, in my eyes, we badly need promotion in order to continue the rebuild of the club/squad.

Back