League Cup win or Promotion

It’s not the cup the average football fan cares about.

All it would do is put our best players in the shop window, which in this hypothetical situation of us staying in League One, means losing them all.
I know what you're saying but a League 1 club winning the League cup would be unprecedented. Worry about the after effects after which I don't think would be as bad as you may think.

In any case it's very unlikely to happen so I'm still hoping for promotion.

A League Cup win will do nothing for us or our status. Being in the Championship will.
Can I just ask, how old are you mate? I'm 46 so, going by our recentish history, we may have one more chance to win a trophy.
Actually seeing us lift a major trophy would make the past 40 years of supporting more than worth it.

You say, it would do nothing for our status but there's a statue of the last Manager to win a trophy for us whilst failing to achieve promotion and I'm sure everyone in attendance will say it was the best day of their SAFC supporting lives.

Last edited:
Exactly, League football and European competitions are everything nowadays.
If we won it, we'd be in European competition
Good for him, I bet it must be great trying to start a conversation with someone in an empty stadium about it...
That has nothing to do with what I said. It was the best moment of his supporting life, one his Dad nor Grandad got to experience and one he won't experience again. He's seen plenty promotions

Last edited:
Can I just ask, how old are you mate? I'm 46 so, going by our recentish history, we may have one for chance to win a trophy.
Actually seeing us lift a major trophy would make the past 40 years of supporting more than worth it.

You say, it would do nothing for our status but there's a statue of the last Manager to win a trophy for us whilst failing to achieve promotion and I'm sure everyone in attendance will say it was the best day of their SAFC supporting lives.

I think the big difference in opinions is how we’re viewing the cup. I’ve never really thought much of the League Cup, I don’t really like the concept, whereas I love the FA Cup.

Obviously it would be great for us to win any cup, as we seen last year - however, I want us back in the League we belong in.

I’m with Brian Clough in believing the league comes first above any competition.

Would spend the next 5 years in league 1 for a cup win as a league 1 side.

Beating arsenal on pens, Liverpool (5-0 on aggl and then man City (4-0) to win the cup would go down in the history of the game. They will still be talking about it in 20 years*

* only 20 as we will focused on trying not to die die due to the planet being fucked, and having more important things to consider

League Cup win easily. Firstly because it's a major trophy, the only domestic one we've never won, but it would mean Europe next season.

We will be promoted at some point, I'm only 32 and we've been promoted 6 times since I was born, we've won 1 major trophy since 1937.

A League Cup win every time. Sunderland winning a major trophy at Wembley and a subsequent European tour would trump the opportunity to play away to Luton next season.

Sadly, that’s not going to happen this season so promotion is a must!
Exactly my thoughts mate. Having a right go at whoever we get next can only improve confidence levels for the rest of the league season.
Win, lose or draw, getting to the last 8 of a 92 club competion is a cracking achievement and will hopefully act as a catalyst.

Back