Laurel & Hardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a huge fan of L&H (I respect it was of its time but I’m not into slapstick), but all the reviews I’ve read in NY are fantastic: reckon I would still enjoy it?
But, but, L&H are so much more than slapstick. All I can say is I laughed out loud a few times which is more than I do for most contemporary comedy films. The film is more about their relationship so I can't see why you wouldn't get into it. You might be surprised and want to revisit their work.

But, but, L&H are so much more than slapstick. All I can say is I laughed out loud a few times which is more than I do for most contemporary comedy films. The film is more about their relationship so I can't see why you wouldn't get into it. You might be surprised and want to revisit their work.
Alright then, sounds like I’d probably like it. cheers.

Hopefully going too see it tomorrow. Comedy genius. Used to watch their films et al in awe as a bairn.

Love anything and anyone who is class: pele, maradona, aretha Franklin, Bowie, John Wayne, blade runner.

Takes a lot to be utter class. Laurel and hardy were legends.

That's the more slapstick brilliance still think Sons of the Desert is even better

#There is a Laurel and hardy appreciation society meeting at 730pm on the second Tuesday of every month at the Boars Head in High Street East, films are shown, nibbles are served and all are welcome.

Will definitely see this.

Think they played the Empire in the 50s.

They did indeed play full weeks at the Empire in March 1952 and February 1954

They never received a penny for the TV screenings, the films were owned by the studio
Apparently they didn’t get on in real life.

Completely untrue, they were never 'friends' in the early days, just work mates who got along really well. They were very different people who moved in different social circles. They became very close from the mid forties when they first toured together. The 'argument' in the film is a bit pf artistic licence. Never happened.

Strange that they toured Britain in the 50’s because they were on their uppers financially, yet when mass tv became popular from the 60’s we were watching Laurel and Hardy shorts so regularly that we practically knew them by heart.

They never got a penny from the TV Reruns, the films were owned by the Studio that made them and the rights were sold on repeatedly.

Why are the repeats not on TV anymore even not on Sky
Talking Pictures 343 on Sky, there are loads on before the end of February:
  • *30 Jan 05:20 – The Music Box
  • *1 Feb 07:20 – Helpmates
  • •1 Feb 13:20 Laughing Gravy
  • *1 Feb 14:40 Flying Deuces
  • 3 Feb 17:35 – Below Zero
  • 4 Feb 14:05 – Oliver the Eighth
  • 4 Feb 20:20 – The Laurel – Hardy Murder Case
  • 6 Feb 17:40 – County Hospital
  • 7 Feb 13:35 – Brats
  • 10 Feb 17:35 – Them Thar Hills
  • 11 Feb 09:20 – the Music Box
  • 12 Feb 17:35 – Helpmates
  • 17 Feb 09:35 – Busy Bodies
  • 18 Feb 09:35 – Tit for Tat
  • 24 Feb 09:20 – the Music Box
  • 25 Feb 13:20 – Laughing Gravy
  • Date and time TBC – Towed in a Hole

Last edited:
#There is a Laurel and hardy appreciation society meeting at 730pm on the second Tuesday of every month at the Boars Head in High Street East, films are shown, nibbles are served and all are welcome.

They never received a penny for the TV screenings, the films were owned by the studio

Completely untrue, they were never 'friends' in the early days, just work mates who got along really well. They were very different people who moved in different social circles. They became very close from the mid forties when they first toured together. The 'argument' in the film is a bit pf artistic licence. Never happened.

They never got a penny from the TV Reruns, the films were owned by the Studio that made them and the rights were sold on repeatedly.

My favourite short ! :lol:

Just back from seeing Stan & Ollie . Lovely film, sure it was slow but most biopic type films are. Quite a sad film too, had a bittersweet feel to it.

Loved watching Laurel & Hardy growing up and this brought back memories for especially the scene where they were doing The Blue Ridge Mountains Of Virginia routine, I have to admit I started to get a bit misty eyed as brought back memories of my brother and I doing that routine in infant school and family gatherings.

I was a bit sceptical when I heard Steve Coogan and John C Reilly were cast but I have to admit they did manage to bring them to life, especially John C Reilly.

Saw it last Saturday and quite enjoyed it, even though there's a bit of artistic licence with the plot and dates. First time I've been in a cinema where no-one moved once the credits came on. Everyone stayed to watch the clips of L&H themselves.

Just back from seeing Stan & Ollie . Lovely film, sure it was slow but most biopic type films are. Quite a sad film too, had a bittersweet feel to it.

Loved watching Laurel & Hardy growing up and this brought back memories for especially the scene where they were doing The Blue Ridge Mountains Of Virginia routine, I have to admit I started to get a bit misty eyed as brought back memories of my brother and I doing that routine in infant school and family gatherings.

I was a bit sceptical when I heard Steve Coogan and John C Reilly were cast but I have to admit they did manage to bring them to life, especially John C Reilly.
Just got back from seeing it this evening too. The Blue Ridge Mountain`s routine brought back great memories for me too. I thought it was great, funny and sad too. Loved watching their stuff with my grandad in the `70`s. Timeless class.

Saw it last Saturday and quite enjoyed it, even though there's a bit of artistic licence with the plot and dates. First time I've been in a cinema where no-one moved once the credits came on. Everyone stayed to watch the clips of L&H themselves.

same happened when we went to see it....no fecker moved.... so we did'nt

No Pardon Us?

must have been a lot of dust in the cinema we went to.... eyes were sore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back