Laurel & Hardy

Loved them as a kid.
Fatty and Skinny went up in a balloon.
Fatty let a fart off and blew skinny doon.

The ball was on the centre spot,
The referees whistle blew.
Skinny passed to Fatty,
And down the wing he flew,
Fatty passed to Skinny,
Skinny passed it back,
Fatty took a flying shot
And knocked the Goalie flat !

Did you see that at the end of the film too? I really enjoyed the film, great performances and a few laugh out loud moments. I especially liked the double act from their wives too.

Are you Laurel's son ;)

my friends dad loves em both, so kinda grew up knowing a little bit about them. He used to reel of phrases used by them every now and again, (another fine mess, why certainly!, etc etc) and I wouldn't know what he was on about ... so he had it explain it all

it was slap stick comedy at its best. If you really liked the movie, but haven't seen the early scripts, there is a fantastic 21 DVD collection on the market at the moment, although pricey, around £45 upwards for the box set. Was only £22 on Amazon last year when my mate picked it up for his dad for Xmas (2017)

Are you Laurel's son ;)

my friends dad loves em both, so kinda grew up knowing a little bit about them. He used to reel of phrases used by them every now and again, (another fine mess, why certainly!, etc etc) and I wouldn't know what he was on about ... so he had it explain it all

it was slap stick comedy at its best. If you really liked the movie, but haven't seen the early scripts, there is a fantastic 21 DVD collection on the market at the moment, although pricey, around £45 upwards for the box set. Was only £22 on Amazon last year when my mate picked it up for his dad for Xmas (2017)
Son of Stan is my Dad. I should be Son of Stan's daughter. :) I used to watch them with him as he was a huge fan. Their shorts are regularly shown on Talking Pictures and as already mentioned they are funnier than a lot of things that pass for comedy these days.

I hope it's good, but I can't get away from the fact that Steve Coogan looks like Steve Coogan.
He does actually get into the character and you soon accept him as Laurel rather than Coogan. No Partridge-isms either.

The first place in the tour is Newcastle, which made me laugh.

As gas been said true memories of childhood and the sound of my dad's laughter. When I watch them now, for the incalculable amount of times, I still hear him laughing. It's just tinged with an extra sense of poignancy.

ps .Tom and Jerry can have the same effect but only the older, proper ones

The ones produced by Fred Quimby. The newer ones feature more modern jazzy musical accompaniment and the animation is much cheaper-looking and two-dimensional. Also the later ones are much tamer as regards the violence the protagonists deploy against each other, which was most of the fun of the cartoons. And I believe the black housekeeper with the stereotypical southern black accent was not present as attitudes changed.

Back