Latest boxing crack

Anyone hoping the Joshua gets smashed tonight?

Seems to be the absolute golden child at the moment and I feel like I’m in the minority of disliking everything about him.

What’s the views on here?
No why would any patriotic Brig want our world champion to get beat?
Joshua comes across as a smashing lad.

It's sad that as soon as we get a decent world level fighter in this country people want them to fail. Sad to see.

Plenty of reasons not to want him to do well, it's the same as Fury though, plenty of people want(ed) him to fail despite him once being at the top and arguably having a better win than Joshua on his record. I generally do want the British lads to win, but no reason to automatically want a Brit to win considering it is an individual sport rather than a team sport.

Plenty of reasons not to want him to do well, it's the same as Fury though, plenty of people want(ed) him to fail despite him once being at the top and arguably having a better win than Joshua on his record. I generally do want the British lads to win, but no reason to automatically want a Brit to win considering it is an individual sport rather than a team sport.

Generally there's a section of the British public that hate success. And as soon as someone does well, they want to see them fail.

I don't think with Joshua the Eddie Hearn media machine helps at all like.

The thing is though all this talk wanting him to get beat, his opponent has literally had 12 days notice, has lost 2 of his last 7 fights, lost to Parker who has turned out to be underwhelming and stopped by Povetkin - despite all the 'all it takes is one punch in the heavyweights' bollocks, there's not one person who would pick Takam tonight if their life depended on it and ultimately it's a waste of a fight for Joshua who will win comfortably and then not fight again until April / May / June where more milking of the cash cow will commence. He may as well be rematching Gary Cornish tonight for what good it will do him.

There's no doubt whatsoever that Hearn and Sky Sports Boxing have targeted the mass football market and their regular Sky Sports product has suffered badly as a result. All they care about is the PPV market as boxing is one sport they can milk after over paying for the football rights. There was supposed to be 20 Saturday Fight Nights a year, but there have been 11 in 2017 and one of them was headlined by Buglioni vs Ricky Summers (aye, I hadn't heard of him either) and the rest is made up of PPVs and shite NxtGen shows which are literally a night of showcases.

The lighting, production, walks ons, press conferences are all top notch and as most people just want to see knockouts, then he can get away with the constant 1/100, 1/50 odds that you will see for the home fighter on the left. They can get the hype machine out in full force, especially with the likes of Jeff Stelling saying 'super night of boxing on Box Office including 3 world titles', yet i can guarantee he will never have heard of or seen Yafai or Katie Taylor's opponents before. Taylor is as short as 1/100 to win her 'wold title' and when she does it will be portrayed as one of the greatest moments in sport, where in reality, if she loses then she will have royally fucked up.

My interest in boxing has decreased a fair bit in the past 18 months or so and Hearn and Sky's obsession with reaching the casual / mass / football market has no doubt played a huge part in that and AJ is one of the biggest figureheads of this movement. There's no doubt that AJ nights are not targeted towards the 'traditional' boxing fan.

The thing is though all this talk wanting him to get beat, his opponent has literally had 12 days notice, has lost 2 of his last 7 fights, lost to Parker who has turned out to be underwhelming and stopped by Povetkin - despite all the 'all it takes is one punch in the heavyweights' bollocks, there's not one person who would pick Takam tonight if their life depended on it and ultimately it's a waste of a fight for Joshua who will win comfortably and then not fight again until April / May / June where more milking of the cash cow will commence. He may as well be rematching Gary Cornish tonight for what good it will do him.

There's no doubt whatsoever that Hearn and Sky Sports Boxing have targeted the mass football market and their regular Sky Sports product has suffered badly as a result. All they care about is the PPV market as boxing is one sport they can milk after over paying for the football rights. There was supposed to be 20 Saturday Fight Nights a year, but there have been 11 in 2017 and one of them was headlined by Buglioni vs Ricky Summers (aye, I hadn't heard of him either) and the rest is made up of PPVs and shite NxtGen shows which are literally a night of showcases.

The lighting, production, walks ons, press conferences are all top notch and as most people just want to see knockouts, then he can get away with the constant 1/100, 1/50 odds that you will see for the home fighter on the left. They can get the hype machine out in full force, especially with the likes of Jeff Stelling saying 'super night of boxing on Box Office including 3 world titles', yet i can guarantee he will never have heard of or seen Yafai or Katie Taylor's opponents before. Taylor is as short as 1/100 to win her 'wold title' and when she does it will be portrayed as one of the greatest moments in sport, where in reality, if she loses then she will have royally fucked up.

My interest in boxing has decreased a fair bit in the past 18 months or so and Hearn and Sky's obsession with reaching the casual / mass / football market has no doubt played a huge part in that and AJ is one of the biggest figureheads of this movement. There's no doubt that AJ nights are not targeted towards the 'traditional' boxing fan.

In addition, Joshua is very fortunate to be around in an age of a weak division.

Personally, I don't think he's that good at all. Stamina issues, not much movement (even by heavyweight standards) - but the competition is not really around to expose his flaws.

In addition, Joshua is very fortunate to be around in an age of a weak division.

Personally, I don't think he's that good at all. Stamina issues, not much movement (even by heavyweight standards) - but the competition is not really around to expose his flaws.

To be fair, beyond Wlad and Vitali there haven't been any decent heavies for about 15 years.

I don’t like him or Hearn. They will end up ruining that division.

Hopefully Daniel Dubois will come good. He is a genuine nice young man.

'Very similar to Joshua. Big hitter, but again not much movement.

Frank Bruno would have cleaned up in this age.

And, that's no slight on Frank as he was a tough man who took a lot of punishment and eventually became world champion.

But, it's just to put it in perspective that Frank could have unified the belts today and he was a limited boxer (though still good enough to be a world champion).

'Very similar to Joshua. Big hitter, but again not much movement.

Frank Bruno would have cleaned up in this age.

And, that's no slight on Frank as he was a tough man who took a lot of punishment and eventually became world champion.

But, it's just to put it in perspective that Frank could have unified the belts today and he was a limited boxer (though still good enough to be a world champion).

Bruno was decent but not a chance he'd clean up in this era. Stamina issues and froze when tagged with a good shot.
Joshua beats Bruno imo...

Back