Latest boxing crack

If you see a journalist or anyone else referring t Josh Kelly as being from ‘the North East’ on twitter please call them out and correct them.

The lad is from Sunderland.

They wouldn’t refer to Hatton as being from the North West the patronising pricks.

If you see a journalist or anyone else referring t Josh Kelly as being from ‘the North East’ on twitter please call them out and correct them.

The lad is from Sunderland.

They wouldn’t refer to Hatton as being from the North West the patronising pricks.

In announcing Ritson, Matchroom supremo Eddie Hearn revealed he and Kelly would be the figureheads for future big shows in the region - something Kelly is delighted about.

He said: “It was great for Lewis Ritson, massive well done to him.

“I’ll be delighted to see anyone from the North East sign up with Matchroom so that we can bring boxing back to the region big-time.

“There’s so much talent in the region and it would be great to get them all on the bandwagon and show the rest of the country what we have to offer in the North East.

“Lewis Ritson took his chance to get himself on the big stage, so good for him. Together I’m sure we can spearhead some big shows in the region and Eddie (Hearn) has already spoke about another big show in Newcastle.

“I can’t wait to come back. I imagine it will be twice as big as the last one.”

Best get on to Kelly about it first then marra.

In announcing Ritson, Matchroom supremo Eddie Hearn revealed he and Kelly would be the figureheads for future big shows in the region - something Kelly is delighted about.

He said: “It was great for Lewis Ritson, massive well done to him.

“I’ll be delighted to see anyone from the North East sign up with Matchroom so that we can bring boxing back to the region big-time.

“There’s so much talent in the region and it would be great to get them all on the bandwagon and show the rest of the country what we have to offer in the North East.

“Lewis Ritson took his chance to get himself on the big stage, so good for him. Together I’m sure we can spearhead some big shows in the region and Eddie (Hearn) has already spoke about another big show in Newcastle.

“I can’t wait to come back. I imagine it will be twice as big as the last one.”

Best get on to Kelly about it first then marra.

Brainwashed already. What hope have we got.

Jaffa was fantastic for us, at least he understood it. Maybe Josh just isn’t really that arsed about his roots.

Brainwashed already. What hope have we got.

Jaffa was fantastic for us, at least he understood it. Maybe Josh just isn’t really that arsed about his roots.

To be fair, unless it was the SOL, which is a long way off, I'd much prefer him to box at the arena than way down the country. Him and Ritson are two of the most exciting and promising fighters in the country at the moment so bodes well for us to get to big cards, 10-20 mins away, rather than the usual 150+ miles away. To Sky's credit, they were referring to Ritson as being from the North East as well the other week and also Forest Hall, Tyne & Wear rather than 'Newcastle' (i know FH is technically North Tyneside, but they could have easily rammed Newcastle down our throats since that is why they will be promoted from going forward).

According to Hearn he's made an offer to Ashley Theophane to fight Kelly on the Bellew-Haye undercard. If that fight comes off it's a brilliant opponent for Kelly's 5th pro fight

i was half listening to the interview where Eddie was saying Booth was demanding a top 30 147 fighter for the undercard.

i think he has too much for a fighter like Theophane.

I totally understand it . It makes no commercial sense to alienate yourself to half of the North East.

That has nothing to do with anything. Did Hatton alienate himself from Man a united fans the world over? Don’t be so ridiculous.

To be fair, unless it was the SOL, which is a long way off, I'd much prefer him to box at the arena than way down the country. Him and Ritson are two of the most exciting and promising fighters in the country at the moment so bodes well for us to get to big cards, 10-20 mins away, rather than the usual 150+ miles away. To Sky's credit, they were referring to Ritson as being from the North East as well the other week and also Forest Hall, Tyne & Wear rather than 'Newcastle' (i know FH is technically North Tyneside, but they could have easily rammed Newcastle down our throats since that is why they will be promoted from going forward).

Again, nothing to do with where he boxes but when referring to where he is from do so correctly. It’s patronising to not do so.

They aren’t doing us any favours by not saying “Newcastle”.

Nobody on here introduces themselves to people by saying “I’m from the North East” do they?

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with anything. Did Hatton alienate himself from Man a united fans the world over? Don’t be so ridiculous.
It would make no difference to me but the North East is so partisan that there are a large element of Newcastle fans who would refuse to watch him if he promoted himself as a mackem. This will make it hard for him to sell tickets at the Arena. If he makes it to the big time obviously a few sad geordies will make no difference but whilst he is trying to build up a fan base he is better off calling himself a North East fighter.

Again, nothing to do with where he boxes but when referring to where he is from do so correctly. It’s patronising to not do so.

They aren’t doing us any favours by not saying “Newcastle”.

Nobody on here introduces themselves to people by saying “I’m from the North East” do they?

Think you're reading into it far too much to be honest mate. The MC did say 'Sunderland' when billing where he was from, not 'Hailing from the North East, Josh Kelly' and as Sky have a strategy in place to build and promote boxing in the North East and as that most feasibly and obviously will be in Newcastle, it will be a bit silly for their commentators to ram Sunderland and stuff like 'Mighty Mackem' down the throats more than they need to potentially alienate half the audience / market. We might feel pride if they did, but it would be a marketing disaster with the footballing rivalry.

It would make no difference to me but the North East is so partisan that there are a large element of Newcastle fans who would refuse to watch him if he promoted himself as a mackem. This will make it hard for him to sell tickets at the Arena. If he makes it to the big time obviously a few sad geordies will make no difference but whilst he is trying to build up a fan base he is better off calling himself a North East fighter.
Load of bollocks. Do geordies call themselves North Easterners do as not to alienate wearside??-

Then let that be on them and their fickle nature. Don’t pander to them.

That’s an embarrassing thought for our city that we should even consider doing so.

Load of bollocks. Do geordies call themselves North Easterners do as not to alienate wearside??-

Boris I can’t believe I’m even having to justify this man. :lol:

Think you're reading into it far too much to be honest mate. The MC did say 'Sunderland' when billing where he was from, not 'Hailing from the North East, Josh Kelly' and as Sky have a strategy in place to build and promote boxing in the North East and as that most feasibly and obviously will be in Newcastle, it will be a bit silly for their commentators to ram Sunderland and stuff like 'Mighty Mackem' down the throats more than they need to potentially alienate half the audience / market. We might feel pride if they did, but it would be a marketing disaster with the footballing rivalry.

See above.

Conversation gets brought up whenever he fights. He gets billed as being from Sunderland both when he gets introduced and also when announced as the winner and that's good enough for me.

Then let that be on them and their fickle nature. Don’t pander to them.

That’s an embarrassing thought for our city that we should even consider doing so.

Boris I can’t believe I’m even having to justify this man. :lol:

See above.
Ok I’ll turn it on it’s head . Kelly is from the West End of Newcastle, calls himself Toon Toon Kelly , decks himself in a gravy stained mag top and comes out to Local Hero.
He’s now topping the bill at the Stadium of Light. How many tickets do you reckon he will sell ?

Booom, tickets for Haye v Bellew 2, will be my first live fight night since the days of watching Naz :cool:

Never did Billy Hardy any harm mind.

Booom, tickets for Haye v Bellew 2, will be my first live fight night since the days of watching Naz :cool:

Never did Billy Hardy any harm mind.
Billy Hardy was fighting for a pittance . I’m sure I read somewhere that after fighting for the world title he fought for around 10k .

The fact that people on this thread are annoyed that Kelly is being promoted as a North East fighter shows how partisan we are .

Why would he fight at the football stadium of a town he’s not from?
Same as Kelly will be fighting in the Arena.

Back