Latest boxing crack

I think Pricey was actually a very decent technical boxer. Once that chin got exposed though, it was game over for his confidence.
I know what you mean. Audley won a gold medal as well. Suppose I was thinking more that defensive skills and punch resistance are part of boxing ability but I understand that could be up for debate.

I know what you mean. Audley won a gold medal as well. Suppose I was thinking more that defensive skills and punch resistance are part of boxing ability but I understand that could be up for debate.

Yeah, both were objectively very good amateurs tbf. But as a pro, I think Price's had decent technical ability but the combo of china chin and subsequent confidence issues ruined it. A decent chin part of the overall package of being a good boxer, but I'd say it's separate from boxing ability per se. However if you look at Wlad, that's an example of an extremely strong minded winner who was able to overcome confidence issues and negate his own weaknesses.

He was a fighter who in his early doors as a pro, Manny Steward really liked the look of. Can't remember what fight it was before/after, but I remember Manny being really happy to see that Price had used 'his combo' of the jab, slap left hook, straight right hand. Shame we never got to see him against Fury.

Watching the weigh ins and Usyk's team mate comes on and the comments are like what's Erling Haaland doing there?! I'm f***ing dying laughing, can't unsee it now.

Usyk same weight as last fight, AJ slightly heavier I think. Only favours one man does that. Can’t see the fight going any other way but the same as before now.

Usyks half a pound heavier, Joshua 4 and a half ….. interesting

Sick of seeing face offs between the two like seems they’ve had about 40 in the last 4 month

Shows how little people really know. All the reports I'd read were that Usky had massively bulked up, as much as 15lbs.
Nope.
I thought he might have put upto half a stone on by looking at him but it was all pictures or videos of him training so it's hard to tell. His management team had been happy to fuel the rumours as well. Top quality mind games.

Shows how little people really know. All the reports I'd read were that Usky had massively bulked up, as much as 15lbs.
Nope.

Amir Khan 15kg :lol:

People were basing it off action pictures in training mostly. Some of those pics he may have been couple lbs heavier anyway, but if you look at action shots of Ronaldo kicking a ball, you can find one of him looking he's got the quads of an IFBB pro FFS

I thought he might have put upto half a stone on by looking at him but it was all pictures or videos of him training so it's hard to tell. His management team had been happy to fuel the rumours as well. Top quality mind games.

The top Ukrainian's we've had in the heavyweight division over the past 15 years have been absolutely mental juggernauts like. Just fully focused on the task at hand and not fussed by all the bullshit.

Wlad was seen as mentally fragile early in his career and Tyson definitely got the better of him, but generally, a very focused and zoned in bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amir Khan 15kg :lol:

People were basing it off action pictures in training mostly. Some of those pics he may have been couple lbs heavier anyway,

Like I said, I do think he's intentionally fasted for the weigh in so he'll come in heavier on the night so he actually wont be far off 15kg. I reckon 10kg at most. Usyk made AJ wait a very long time for the presser to begin so subtle mind games have started and it'll be interesting how long he'll take to do the ring walk - I believe a fighter is given a maximum of 15 minutes and as champ he'll be coming out 2nd

The irony is it's the absolute opposite of the Ruiz rematch where everyone thought he was the next Mr. Motivator.

Last edited:
100%

A lot of casuals just won't be arsed with it and its the casuals they rely on to top their ppv numbers up.

Canelo ggg 3 will do shit numbers in this country. Eubank benn should have been on sky. Eddie back on sky within 3 years I reckon. Adam Smith has never closed the door
You're right, and as well as that, Matchroom cut out the small hall circut years ago and relied on their stable filling arenas each month and promoting the Matchroom brand rather than raising their own profile. It obviously made them money and Hearn did tremendous marketing work and making boxing appeal to the masses like darts, but apart from the main ticket sellers like AJ, Whyte, Chisora, Katie Taylor and Warrington I don't think many of their stable have any real following.

Okolie is an undefeated cruiserweight world champion but I don't think the public outside of the hardcore fans really know who he is.

Think Hearn has took his eye off the ball in the UK by focusing on America and underestimated the platform Sky gave him.

Like I said, I do think he's intentionally fasted for the weigh in so he'll come in heavier on the night so he actually wont be far off 15kg. I reckon 10kg at most. Usyk made AJ wait a very long time for the presser to begin so subtle mind games have started and it'll be interesting how long he'll take to do the ring walk - I believe a fighter is given a maximum of 15 minutes and as champ he'll be coming out 2nd

The irony is it's the absolute opposite of the Ruiz rematch where everyone thought he was the next Mr. Motivator.

Why would a heavyweight intentionally fast before a weigh in.....?
Ludicrous to suggest he'll come in 22lbs heavier on the night. Be lucky if it's 5/5lbs....

Why would a heavyweight intentionally fast before a weigh in.....?
Ludicrous to suggest he'll come in 22lbs heavier on the night. Be lucky if it's 5/5lbs....

Your weight kinda gives your away your game plan in Heavyweight where there's no upper limit.

Heavyweights aside from the 3 fat fucks of the division - Fury, Ruiz and Chisora - generally nowadays aim for the lower limit of 91kg - AJ, Whyte, Wilder, Usyk, the list goes on to name them - Heavyweight boxing as moved away from getting as muscular as possible and looking for a walk-off KO and more focused on the conditioning and technical side of Heavyweight boxing.

AJ's outright put his cards on the table by putting on 4.5 lbs and said I'm looking for a stoppage - Or could try hug him to death and have a boring scrap like Chisora did.
Usyk has given absolutely nothing away, and it's very clever - He even did the the media workout in Orthodox stance to keep everyone guessing, he's kept everyone guessing and still is.

Last edited:

Whilst I highly highly doubt he would fast to play any games, but even if he did - there's absolutely zero chance he's gained anywhere close to 10-15kg. They're massive amounts of weight for elite athletes to gain. It would make Usyk heavier than AJ was for their first fight by half a stone to a stone.

Heavyweights aside from the 3 fat fucks of the division - Fury, Ruiz and Chisora - generally nowadays aim for the lower limit of 91kg - AJ, Whyte, Wilder, Usyk, the list goes on to name them - Heavyweight boxing as moved away from getting as muscular as possible and looking for a walk-off KO and more focused on the conditioning and technical side of Heavyweight boxing.

Most of those names generally fight a good 15-20kg over the limit though.

Only games I can see any heavyweight playing are just weighing in in loads of/heavy clothes

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of those names generally fight a good 15-20kg over the limit though.

Only games I can see any heavyweight playing are just weighing in in loads of/heavy clothes

Now check their previous weights before the trend started setting in - AJ 254 vs Klitchsko, Whyte 260, Wilder fought at 212 which is even ligher than Usyk but bulked up to cope with Fury's superior weight.

Just like MMA, Heavyweight has a trend where it's better to be leaner close to 91kg or heavy as possible like it was back in the 00's, at the moment it's the former but there I am 99.99% convinced Usyk will not be 220 tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Back