Lasses and etiquette on a night out

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I was in a bar and the toilets were upstairs (and no, it wasn't a Wetherspoons). A very narrow staircase meant only one person could go up or down at a time.

I headed for the toilets' stairs and a lass was on her way down so I stood back to allow her to come down.

A second lass then pushed ahead of me and started to climb the stairs. I said "what are are you playing at?" but was ignored. She was blocked by the first lass coming down and retreated down the stairs to allow her down.

I said "I told you so, I stood back to let her down.", but the second lass still insistsed on remaining in front of me to head up first.

I grabbed her gently by the shoulders and moved her to one side, saying "I was here first." and headed up the now clear stairs.

Once I've finished my toilet duties and emerged, there's a brief altercation between me and the second lass.

Should I had still allowed the second lass up first and been the bigger man or would it have made me look like a doormat?

Would the right thing to do been to let the second lass up first rather than make a fuss?

Another (more serious) argument is that me moving her to one side could have been construed as common assault.
She was rude, but you assaulted her - no reason to lay hands on her.

I was in a bar and the toilets were upstairs (and no, it wasn't a Wetherspoons). A very narrow staircase meant only one person could go up or down at a time.

I headed for the toilets' stairs and a lass was on her way down so I stood back to allow her to come down.

A second lass then pushed ahead of me and started to climb the stairs. I said "what are are you playing at?" but was ignored. She was blocked by the first lass coming down and retreated down the stairs to allow her down.

I said "I told you so, I stood back to let her down.", but the second lass still insistsed on remaining in front of me to head up first.

I grabbed her gently by the shoulders and moved her to one side, saying "I was here first." and headed up the now clear stairs.

Once I've finished my toilet duties and emerged, there's a brief altercation between me and the second lass.

Should I had still allowed the second lass up first and been the bigger man or would it have made me look like a doormat?

Would the right thing to do been to let the second lass up first rather than make a fuss?

Another (more serious) argument is that me moving her to one side could have been construed as common assault.

If you're going to assault her, do it properly - a quick finger blast.

She was rude, but you assaulted her - no reason to lay hands on her.

I didn't see it as a assault as such, more moving her gently to one side to take my place back at the head of the queue I'd not told her she could have.

But I can see how someone might misconstrue this action as assault. As I said, a woman friend commented making my feelings felt was right, but me touching her (hands gently on shoulders) even if only to move her aside was wrong. My friend said the girl could easily have sworn my life away, no matter what the rights and wrongs.

As noted elsewhere, it would have probably been best to say nothing and let her get on with it rather than make any fuss at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.quora.com/Should-men-climb-stairs-ahead-of-women

It sounds like the worst arranged toilet set up in the world.

Never, never, never times a million, touch a woman. That pretty little face could well be hiding the most horrible piece of sh*t known to man. If she goes past , no matter how, let her go and shrug your shoulders, it will pass in an instant.

Quite dilemma. I think you probably showed the right balance of gentlemanly manners and assertiveness in the face of a direct attack on your good nature.

All in all, job well done.

Surely the easiest thing to do would be what all "normal" lasses do and go into the toilet together?

Just be thankful she didn't knock you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back