Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news: 202k laptops delivered.
Bad news: The actual target was 230k

Ah well, at least all the kids will have 'em in time for the six week summer holls🌈🚴‍♂️🎮⚽🤸‍♀️🚤⛵🛳⛱

Ah well, at least all the kids will have 'em in time for the six week summer holls🌈🚴‍♂️🎮⚽🤸‍♀️🚤⛵🛳⛱

I think they've done well to deliver of 200k to be honest. Good scheme and a good investment.

Obviously the headline will be "government failed" but working in IT as I do, I think that's a good effort in this current climate.

Your splitting hairs now obviously pupils who go to the particular school.
It's much more limited than particular schools.

It amazes me that that's a bad news story.

Last edited:

87.8%

Thats a solid B right there.

There's plenty to bash the government about, only managing to get nigh on 90% of equipment out to kids that need it isn't one of them imo.

Me, because I am involved with all of the schools in the North East and Cumbria and I have been supporting schools who have had problems.

Seems a bit far fetched that folk are complaining.

I think they've done well. I found it you stand still, you missed out when the orders were going in back in March.

Maybe others got in ahead of the schools you're managing.

Either way over 200000 delivered laptops is good to see.

Seems a bit far fetched that folk are complaining.

I think they've done well. I found it you stand still, you missed out when the orders were going in back in March.

Maybe others got in ahead of the schools you're managing.

Either way over 200000 delivered laptops is good to see.
I dont manage them but I support heads across the region, they have been on the phone constantly chasing them.

I think they've done well to deliver of 200k to be honest. Good scheme and a good investment.

Obviously the headline will be "government failed" but working in IT as I do, I think that's a good effort in this current climate.
Just to put a little perspective on this:

I run a DevOps team for a large, European company. One of my team has been trying to upgrade his laptop for months and keeps being told none with the specific spec are available from within company stocks. I've eventually managed to find someone who can move this on for us but it's taken an age - especially during the current Covid-19 scenario.

And that's just dealing with internal procurement procedures - imagine trying to do that at national level for a whole country's worth of eligible schoolkids.

I run a DevOps team for a large, European company. One of my team has been trying to upgrade his laptop for months and keeps being told none with the specific spec are available from within company stocks. I've eventually managed to find someone who can move this on for us but it's taken an age - especially during the current Covid-19 scenario.

And that's just dealing with internal procurement procedures - imagine trying to do that at national level for a whole country's worth of eligible schoolkids.

yeah we missed the boat ordering a load more HP laptops so we had to go elsewhere. Rumour has it Durham Uni snapped up 1000 of the stock.

yep 4 months lead time for HP Elitebooks is the latest from IT. Apparently large quantities of electrical items have been hard to source from China in the last few months. Cant think why :)

Can't just nip down to Curry's and pick up a couple hundred thousand laptops mate.

I've seen how long it can take to roll out new equipment with organisations that need less than 10k devices, they've done a decent job on this one.
Cheers for that. I genuinely thought that you could do that.

Watching both the local and national news last night and they were talking about school children having to get laptops from charities or as gifts from other families.

I thought the government said months ago that they were going to provide these?
19th April they announced it and they had only supplied half of them 2 weeks ago.
Another poor show from the Government.
Seen very little evidence of this 83 per cent cooking and books springs to mind?
But they have capacity to supply a million laptops

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back