Laptops

I was there that is not bullshit. You just will not accept that I am actually at somemeetingscat that level, but I am.

There is no record anywhere of the government promising this.

There is nobody else at all on the internet saying this.

Were you the only person on the call?

Seems very strange.

Seems very strange.
No I was one of several union officers, I know what I was told. So I will leave it there. You can go back n defending this bunch of incompetent chancers. They make our owners look like the greatest football owners in the world.

No I was one of several union officers, I know what I was told. So I will leave it there. You can go back n defending this bunch of incompetent chancers. They make our owners look like the greatest football owners in the world.
The official line was always the end of June so, technically, they did still fail to deliver I guess.

Seems very strange.
Education Settings: Wider Opening - Hansard

Gavin Williamson
My right hon. Friend will be aware that we are already in the process of rolling out IT equipment across the school estate, as well as to the most vulnerable children. Some 100,000 of those laptops have already been distributed to the most vulnerable and most disadvantaged children. We took the decision to ensure that children who have social workers are prioritised over and above schools. A further 75,000 computers will be distributed to schools in the coming weeks. We are on schedule to distribute the full 230,000 computers over the coming month.

I work in East London. Our LA had 8000 eligoble pupils, but were only promised 2000. If all of those are delivered then no doubt some would say that a 100% rate is fantastic, but in reality, its only 25%.

In my particular school we had 12 children approved to receive them. None did.

It's a farce, but then it'll be the schools' fault according to the same folk on here.

Gavin Williamson
My right hon. Friend will be aware that we are already in the process of rolling out IT equipment across the school estate, as well as to the most vulnerable children. Some 100,000 of those laptops have already been distributed to the most vulnerable and most disadvantaged children. We took the decision to ensure that children who have social workers are prioritised over and above schools. A further 75,000 computers will be distributed to schools in the coming weeks. We are on schedule to distribute the full 230,000 computers over the coming month.
That’s from 9th June tho, the target was always end of June (which they haven’t quite managed) as far as I can see.

I still struggle to see this as a bad news story, distributing that number of laptops when they were difficult to get hold of is quite an achievement.

I’m not in the business of saying people are lying. I can only imagine you’ve misheard something as there is no record anywhere or any Government minister saying this, nor any of the other professional agitators on that call are kicking up a stink either.
The official line was always the end of June so, technically, they did still fail to deliver I guess.

89% delivery is a canny return, IMO.

Gavin Williamson

This was from June.
I work in East London. Our LA had 8000 eligoble pupils, but were only promised 2000. If all of those are delivered then no doubt some would say that a 100% rate is fantastic, but in reality, its only 25%.

In my particular school we had 12 children approved to receive them. None did.

It's a farce, but then it'll be the schools' fault according to the same folk on here.

This is anecdotal. 89% is pretty much 9 in 10 children being sorted officially.
That’s from 9th June tho, the target was always end of June (which they haven’t quite managed) as far as I can see.

I still struggle to see this as a bad news story, distributing that number of laptops when they were difficult to get hold of is quite an achievement.

You’re exactly right.

Some people are just never happy and always know best.

Last edited:
Taken too long - school year's almost over and they're only just hitting getting them to the kids now. Also a lot of schools really haven't checked families can access online learning and just assumed they can - of the two schools the kids are at - one's had a right twist on printing stuff out for some families and complained no end about it, and the other have loaned out all the school's chromebooks... but to the families who've approached the school and said they couldn't access stuff - no actual checking with the families that they're accessing stuff OK.

I've been through the old laptops in our house and reformatted a few of them to pass out among the bairn's mates as they were OK accessing the school Google Classroom - but couldn't access the actual online learning providers the school was using. There's a fair few families out there with an old iPad or phone that can open emails but that can't actually run all the education provider sites lots of the schools turned to when shutdown happened.

Initially, no target was mentioned. It wasn't until the end of April that they spoke of when the laptops would be received.

I was correcting another posters ascersion that there was no evidence of the target being set with evidence from the parliamentary record. I have not made any comment on whether what has been achieved is good or bad. Gavin Williamson said on 9th of June that they were on schedule to meet the target and you have agreed that it wasn't met. My own view on targets is that they are often a nonsense. If the government had promised 150000 they would be congratulating themselves on overachieving but because the target was 230000 and they only achieved 200000 it becomes bad. What I would really like to know is have the kids who need them got them. The evidence I have from my own wife (no) who is a teacher is that for her school the answer is no and it's now too late. I cannot comment on how other schools have fared.

This is anecdotal. 89% is pretty much 9 in 10 children being sorted officially.

Fair enough. Out of interest, where does the 9/10 figure come from and what are the criteria?

Is it 9/10 children with a social worker have now received a laptop, or is it 9/10 children in specific year groups have received one? And how about the routers that were promised?

Fair enough. Out of interest, where does the 9/10 figure come from and what are the criteria?

Is it 9/10 children with a social worker have now received a laptop, or is it 9/10 children in specific year groups have received one? And how about the routers that were promised?

89% of the promised laptops have been delivered.

The criteria was pretty clear, the scheme was only open to a very small subset of kids.

Yep. So 9/10 of all children under social services, or year 10 free school meals children have a laptop and a WiFi router according to the data we're being given by a poster on here.

Last edited:
Date ordered: 29/03/2020 17:07:03
Payment Method: Amazon_Payments
Shipping Method: DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)
----------------------------------------------------------
Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
£1,166.66 x 1 - MSI GL75 NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB, 17.3" 120hz FHD, i7-9750H Gaming Laptop

Sub-Total: 1166.66
Shipping: 8.25
VAT: 234.98
Total: 1409.89
yep turned up next day shortage my arse

£1,166.66 x 1 - MSI GL75 NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB, 17.3" 120hz FHD, i7-9750H Gaming Laptop

Don’t know what you’re trying to prove?

In March when we tried to get 50 for staff work from home it was impossible.

You ordered one, not thousands.

And governments go through specific procurement protocols - they don't order from Amazon.

It's a bad example.

Back