Laptop or tablet

Laptop (with desktop style setup) and phone for me, can’t remember the last time I would have found a tablet useful for me. Canny for kids tho.

I've ended up going with the Huawei Matebook 13. Looks pretty good for the price. Ordered directly and got three 'free' gift too. Smart watch, a nice mouse and mobile wifi.
Yep I'm going to order direct too as they are slinging in loads of freebies.. it's how they get round not discounting on the rrp for retailers

What made you for to 13. Was it the i7. As it's £200 more then the Ryze. 14

Last edited:
Yep I'm going to order direct too as they are slinging in loads of freebies.. it's how they get round not discounting on the rrp for retailers

What made you for to 13. Was it the i7. As it's £200 more then the Ryze. 14
Just the cracking reviews on it. it's the i5 though. £799. Now going to to get some NAS too.

My laptop was forever just being used for downloads and storage and when it broke i could not justify spending £600 or so on a half decent one. So bought an iPad Pro 10 inch and then a refurbed cheap laptop off facebook which had decent spec. All it does is sit in the cupboard soni think my decision was justified

Much more to it than that. What's the rest of the model number? Otherwise you said "oranges" vs "apples"

AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
Intel core i5 8265U Vs AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

8th Gen Intel - they're on 10th gen now. That's quite old, from 2018.
CPU Passmark score 6351

1st Gen Ryzen 5 3500U, that's over a year old now (Jan 2019) - I'm sure I posted about this above, Zen2 is excellent, but this is Zen1+ which is still really good, but Zen2 was a bit jump
CPU Passmark score 7209 (14% faster)

Although the intel CPU is better at single threaded tasks (9%)

The i5 has a 2k 1440p screen and dedicated graphics card. If you're not gaming, photo/video editing, its massive overkill - actually, it won't even get switched on at all!
If you don't need that, then the Ryzen is a better buy - it'll actually be faster in normal use.

I would hold out for a better deal on a Ryzen Zen2 laptop personally. Lenovo deals come round all the time - just last week similar specs to this were about £400. See the other thread.

Need a new laptop budget about £500 but could stretch to £600 or do I just try and live off a tablet..

Use my galaxy Tab s6 all the time now and never seem to use a laptop at all. And I'd say adding the keyboard case and DeX mode is just like using a laptop anyway and it's very quick and very portable indeed. Add a large sd card and you get enough storage also. Cant recommend it enough. Dont need a wifi connection as it takes a sim card so its perfect for me!

Intel core i5 8265U Vs AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

8th Gen Intel - they're on 10th gen now. That's quite old, from 2018.
CPU Passmark score 6351

1st Gen Ryzen 5 3500U, that's over a year old now (Jan 2019) - I'm sure I posted about this above, Zen2 is excellent, but this is Zen1+ which is still really good, but Zen2 was a bit jump
CPU Passmark score 7209 (14% faster)

Although the intel CPU is better at single threaded tasks (9%)

The i5 has a 2k 1440p screen and dedicated graphics card. If you're not gaming, photo/video editing, its massive overkill - actually, it won't even get switched on at all!
If you don't need that, then the Ryzen is a better buy - it'll actually be faster in normal use.

I would hold out for a better deal on a Ryzen Zen2 laptop personally. Lenovo deals come round all the time - just last week similar specs to this were about £400. See the other thread.

Can you do me a favour please mate? Our lass needs a new laptop. She wants a HP as thats what her work laptop is and she really likes it. I've found these two which are about her budget.

One of them is an intel CPU and the other an AMD. Could you tell me which you think it the better buy? The AMD has touch screen as well which might swing the decision but the last laptop she bought was utter shite and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

• Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Full HD screen
vs
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Full HD touchscreen
So its pretty evens on spec really - they're both IPS screens too, Passmark CPU scores:

AMD: 7179 (single core score: 1991)
Intel: 7959 (single core score: 2399)

So clearly, for CPU grunt the Intel wins out by about 10%.
The AMD will be better for anything that requires graphics performance though - so photoshop, video editting, any gaming (it'll run as a low-end gaming machine -Ryzen is great for that).

Bit bonkers limiting yourself to HP though. I've got nothing against HP laptops at all (got one sat right next to me), but they're not superior to other brands like Lenovo.

In short, both of the laptops you're looking at are canny. You might find they come pre-loaded with a load of shite that slows them down though, HP are terrible for that.

Back