Laptop or tablet

General work.. this and that
The one you posted is easily good enough for that.
You could probably save £200 though if you've got time for a good deal to come along? Lenovo were knocking them out incredibly cheap just last week without Windows pre-installed - that's about £10 to add.

For example, this was £315+10 (windows) just recently: Lenovo IdeaPad 5i 14: i3-1005G1/8GB/256GB/FHD IPS/Backlit keyboard/Fingerprint scanner £315.89 with newsletter sign up @ Lenovo Rewards - hotukdeals

& others: Any IT geeks? New Laptop time
So it doesn't.

I think I must have disliked the mousepad immediately as always made sure I used my mouse.
I never use mousepads. tbh, I hate using laptops. I only have one on the off-chance I need to go somewhere with it. Its on a stand, with a UW monitor, keyboard & mouse connected to a USB hub :lol:

Last edited:
I never use mousepads. tbh, I hate using laptops. I only have one on the off-chance I need to go somewhere with it. Its on a stand, with a UW monitor, keyboard & mouse connected to a USB hub :lol:
I use the one on my Macbook with no problems but aye thinking about when I got this laptop I just never took to it. Didn't like the keyboard that much either but more used to it now. I usually remove the keyboard and use a separate full size one in my office. But often sit downstairs now to supervise the kids while I'm working so have ended up having to get used to it.

I use my iPad pro for everything. It has Mouse and touchpad support so I can't see myself ever going back to a laptop.

I inherited an iPad Pro and keyboard from one of my lads. I’ve a windows laptop which gets very little use.
The iPad has a pencil so I use it at work instead of paper and use office 365 a lot.

I use a laptop for all of my 'proper' work, (editing tracks/videos/recording and artwork etc). For everything else I use my android phone or tablet.

I find that swipe texting on phone or tablet is very fast but not always as accurate as actually typing so I end up spending unnecessary time editing stuff so if I'm wanting to type something out properly, (which isn't that often these days) it has to be a keyboard and mouse. I hate mouse pad things, just find them too fiddly.

I use the 15.6" one of these but it's a little more than you're wanting to spend. Does the job for me, though.

HP ENVY x360 13-ar0005na Convertible Laptop, AMD Ryzen 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 13.3", Full HD, Nightfall Black at John Lewis & Partners

Last edited:

Thinking about.. reviews very positive

That's spot on that like spec wise, I'd prefer that over the Lenovo in your OP although it has a slightly smaller screen

I use a laptop for all of my 'proper' work, (editing tracks/videos/recording and artwork etc). For everything else I use my android phone or tablet.

I find that swipe texting on phone or tablet is very fast but not always as accurate as actually typing so I end up spending unnecessary time editing stuff so if I'm wanting to type something out properly, (which isn't that often these days) it has to be a keyboard and mouse. I hate mouse pad things, just find them too fiddly.

I use the 15.6" one of these but it's a little more than you're wanting to spend. Does the job for me, though.

HP ENVY x360 13-ar0005na Convertible Laptop, AMD Ryzen 7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 13.3", Full HD, Nightfall Black at John Lewis & Partners
Its first gen Ryzen though, isn't it? Zen 2 has been out for a year now and I understood it was a big leap.

A grand is a lot for out of date CPU & GPU imo

Its first gen Ryzen though, isn't it? Zen 2 has been out for a year now and I understood it was a big leap.

A grand is a lot for out of date CPU & GPU imo

Dunno. I've had mine just over a year so maybe. Never played a game on a pc in my life, though, so not sure how much it affects me. Works fine when I'm working on the likes of Movie Studio, Photoshop, Pro Tools, Soundforge etc, so that's really all I'm concerned about.

Haven't got a clue about processors for gaming.

Dunno. I've had mine just over a year so maybe. Never played a game on a pc in my life, though, so not sure how much it affects me. Works fine when I'm working on the likes of Movie Studio, Photoshop, Pro Tools, Soundforge etc, so that's really all I'm concerned about.

Haven't got a clue about processors for gaming.
Its the CPU AND GPU in one. So both are Zen+, rather than Zen2, which was a big jump in performance iirc. I never specifically called out gaming tbh, but the GPU will help for the exact things you mentioned, ironically.

Nowt wrong with 1st gen mind, they're excellent. Just seems daft to buy gen 1 now, when gen 2 is over a year old already, and you're looking at a £1000 laptop.

Its the CPU AND GPU in one. So both are Zen+, rather than Zen2, which was a big jump in performance iirc. I never specifically called out gaming tbh, but the GPU will help for the exact things you mentioned, ironically.

Nowt wrong with 1st gen mind, they're excellent. Just seems daft to buy gen 1 now, when gen 2 is over a year old already, and you're looking at a £1000 laptop.

I'll take your word, marra. As I say, certainly not an expert but it does what I need it to and things probably have moved on since I bought it, in hindsight. It's a Ryzen 5. Just been looking and the 9 has just come out so aye, I'm imagining there's quite a difference in the past 13 months or so. It was 'the latest thing', when I bought the bugger. Tech moves far too quickly for me. :D

looks like the ryzen 4700u absolutely demolishes anything intel are making for mobile devices. Not sure which laptops you can get it in though.

looks like the ryzen 4700u absolutely demolishes anything intel are making for mobile devices. Not sure which laptops you can get it in though.
I'm not keeping up all that much, but that's the gist I'm getting, aye. Intel are really struggling. Just announced their latest CPUs are stick on 14nm when AMD are down to 7 iirc. That's a gigantic difference - like fighting with one hand tied behind your back

I'm not keeping up all that much, but that's the gist I'm getting, aye. Intel are really struggling. Just announced their latest CPUs are stick on 14nm when AMD are down to 7 iirc. That's a gigantic difference - like fighting with one hand tied behind your back

Yup. They are also really pushing on the core count too. Intel spent years making quad core CPUs, all of a sudden AMD is chucking out much more. My 12 core Ryzen 3900x is about half the price of a 12core from intel.

Back