Laptop or tablet

I don't like either, much happier sitting on my PC, two big screens, three when I fancy knocking a mix up, earphones in, with an annoyance level of minimal to none.

I've got my PC for proper work, then got a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard and stand, so you can make it into a mini laptop. That works for me as I can do some work with it on my lap on the sofa, but then I can use it like a tablet when I'm just faffing around on here, reading books on it etc.

I just had a tablet for years then got a MacBook, the tablet is now redundant. If you need to type a fair bit, or do work, you definitely need a laptop - if your just browsing social media / the internet, you could get by on either and i would just get the cheapest.

I just had a tablet for years then got a MacBook, the tablet is now redundant. If you need to type a fair bit, or do work, you definitely need a laptop - if your just browsing social media / the internet, you could get by on either and i would just get the cheapest.

Phone does my social media.. work/admin

Daughters have macbooks but I can't get away with them.

I don't use iPhones etc either.. prefer android.

Last edited:
Our tablet has been on the shelf untouched for over a year. Got a lenovo laptop that does all the stuff my phone is too small to do. Instant start up and has a keyboard. Don't see the point in a tablet myself.

Child 1 has a fire thing which is handy for her but she's not using excel or logging into online banking. I hope.

Avoid the surface pro, its the worst computer I've ever used.
What's so bad about it?

I'm looking for something myself as well at the moment. I did want to keep under a grand as also want to buy some network storage. I was looking at that Matebook and it's brilliant for the price really - Chinese though. Also looking at the Asus Vivobook S15.

Tempted however to just chuck another £300-400 in and go Dell XPS 13.

What's so bad about it?

I'm looking for something myself as well at the moment. I did want to keep under a grand as also want to buy some network storage. I was looking at that Matebook and it's brilliant for the price really - Chinese though. Also looking at the Asus Vivobook S15.

The matebook is my first choice at present.

Spec for.money is superb
You are a London based property magnet Sir..... therefore the obvious answer is both!

I have an iPad.. quite old now but does the basics I need. Only issue is the storage.

Last edited:

What's so bad about it?

All the weight is in the screen. That makes them incredibly unstable when on anything other than a flat desk. They run a proprietary bios (version of uefi) that goes wrong often, they don't use a standard usb-c port for charging and they are expensive. Just get anything else.

What's so bad about it?

The mouse pad is unusable, it over heats so does the charger, if you click on something it wont register and resizing windows just doesn't work on the first attempt among many other things.

All the weight is in the screen. That makes them incredibly unstable when on anything other than a flat desk. They run a proprietary bios (version of uefi) that goes wrong often, they don't use a standard usb-c port for charging and they are expensive. Just get anything else.
Fair enough aye. Though assume the screen weight is the same for most 2 in 1s?
The mouse pad is unusable, it over heats so does the charger, if you click on something it wont register and resizing windows just doesn't work on the first attempt among many other things.
Yep. I've actually got one for work and not really thought too much about it but agree about the mousepad. It is shite. But I use a mouse all the time anyway.

Last edited:

Depends, some like the dell xps 2 in 1 have a battery in the base, this helps with the weight distribution, or you have the type of 2 in 1 that stays together and flips on itself. I'd always recommend the later, I believe dell do to since I can't find the one the used to make that split.

Mine was great. Overheated/throttled under high GPU/CPU combined demand though - attached a little fan to blow across the back which sorted it.
Need a new laptop budget about £500 but could stretch to £600 or do I just try and live off a tablet..

What will you be using it for? The Ideapads tend to be about the best vfm for the least year or so.

Last edited:
Mine was great. Overheated/throttled under high GPU/CPU combined demand though - attached a little fan to blow across the back which sorted it.

What will you be using it for? The Ideapads tend to be about the best vfm for the least year or so.

General work.. this and that

Yep. I've actually got one for work and not really thought too much about it but agree about the mousepad. It is shite. But I use a mouse all the time anyway.
Try pressing the mousepad near the top, it doesn't even work.

Back