Lake District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coniston is nice too. We stayed here a year ago and found it handy for both walks and to reach other places by car.

https://www.lakelovers.co.uk/property/coniston-water-1/

We stopped there last year as well, Waterhead Hotel iirc. Windermere was busy as owt when we drove through it and Keswick is always rammed as well. First time I¬ve been to Coniston and it was canny. Boozers did decent bait as well. Surprised the local premier shop shut its doors at half 5 mind, i wanted some kets

The Lodore Falls Hotel is back to the standard it used to be and has some good offers on . Me and my git wad ex had a weekend there last century . I invented the phrase "'Till it fell off" They've probably got the room cleaned by now .
been a building site for the last year+ mind--still was end of October and doubt it will be finished yet as refurbing and adding new extended spa stuff

Where are the best places for a weekend away with the Mrs? We'll probably go sometime in March, but I haven't been for years. Is Keswick a decent bet? Somewhere good for walking and close to a nice town is all I'm really after.
Keswick is nice, some nice B&Bs in Ambleside and Windermere/Bowness

I've always lumped Windermere and Bowness together, ever since I was a kid. It's a hard habit to shake!
Suppose they do merge into one like, I remember a few years ago being in the 'Hole' at xmas time and they had a basket of chestnuts beside the fire for the punters to roast, they were exploding all over the place, had to take them away in the end. Good laugh though.

Try North Northumberland instead. Somewhere like Tankerville Arms Eglingham. ( see trip advisor) then go to Alnmouth Bamburgh. Breamish valley ( on doorstep) of Tankerville arms. Then Wooler for food in the Milan ( again check trip reviews top notch) or tapas at number one hotel and wine lounge. You won't be disappointed and everyone who has done this has had wonderful time. Alnwick castle and gardens also only ten mins away. It's quieter than lakes ( which is great as well) and worth a try. Wherever u choose enjoy

Instead? We can go there some other time. Haven't been up that way since I was a kid (mind I could say the same about the Lake District).

Where are the best places for a weekend away with the Mrs? We'll probably go sometime in March, but I haven't been for years. Is Keswick a decent bet? Somewhere good for walking and close to a nice town is all I'm really after.

If you like animals, Safari Zoo at Ulverston is very nice to walk around. Some good pubs in Ulverston too I'm told

The Lodore Falls Hotel is back to the standard it used to be and has some good offers on . Me and my git wad ex had a weekend there last century . I invented the phrase "'Till it fell off" They've probably got the room cleaned by now .
Stayed at Lodore Falls about 14 months back, good rates at time because of building work outside. Food was good, had a kind of old folks home vibe i thought. Never seen so many christmas trees in one place, very festive!

I tend to stay away from Windermere/Bowness March to September time as this area has the most Chinese or American tourists who arrive en masse on coach trips while "touring" the UK. Piss myself laughing at people trying to get huge motorhomes along the roads to Coniston as well, mental.

Last edited:
been a building site for the last year+ mind--still was end of October and doubt it will be finished yet as refurbing and adding new extended spa stuff

Ladore falls hotel
Its still a massive building site. Workers and Cranes going non stop 8am-5pm. Making a right old racket. We were staying in the Mary Mount hotel 150 yards away, noise got on my nerves. That was 3 weeks ago

Staying at Another Place( new hotel ) right on the shores of Ullswater at half term.
Meant to be nice

Been to Cartmel ( I knarr it' the South Lakes) and always lined it there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back