Lake District

Coniston is nice too. We stayed here a year ago and found it handy for both walks and to reach other places by car.

https://www.lakelovers.co.uk/property/coniston-water-1/
Coniston brings so many happy memories from my youth.
In the red hot summer of 1976 camping with mates, discovering beer and lots of lasses. Sadly no pics. I remember 5 pubs all selling great beer. The Yewdale, The Ship and The Black Bull were three of them.
It's only 100 miles away from the metropolis of Coxhoe. I'll have have a weekend back there when the weather picks up.
No bloody camping though!

Instead? We can go there some other time. Haven't been up that way since I was a kid (mind I could say the same about the Lake District).
Alnmouth is lovely, stayed there last year at the Sun Inn, lovely atmosphere, comfortable rooms and the best breakfast I've had in many a year. As for the Lake District, as people have said, it depends on what you want. If it's peace and quiet and wonderful scenery I'd recommend The Langdales. I stayed in the Old Dungeon Ghyll hotel which was fantastic but it was many, many moons ago so I don't know what it's like now.

Work came to a halt in November . They're doubling the size of the place . I think the original buildings are still open .
yes going to be huge--spent a lot of money on some of their other hotels lately as well! Seems like the work is back underway again now.

Ladore falls hotel
Its still a massive building site. Workers and Cranes going non stop 8am-5pm. Making a right old racket. We were staying in the Mary Mount hotel 150 yards away, noise got on my nerves. That was 3 weeks ago
Aye know the MM quite well anarl. Since the path behind Ladore has been closed go through MM now on a walk round the lake. Know the family as they also own to places in Braithwaite where our caravan is. They run the Coledale themselves but have Middle Ruddings let on lease

Last edited:
yes going to be huge--spent a lot of money on some of their other hotels lately as well! Seems like the work is back underway again now.

Aye know the MM quite well anarl. Since the path behind Ladore has been closed go through MM now on a walk round the lake. Know the family as they also own to places in Braithwaite where our caravan is. They run the Coledale themselves but have Middle Ruddings let on lease
I wonder if you know my mate , Tommy Davies . He's in the MM every Saturday night at least . Short arse with a beard .

I wonder if you know my mate , Tommy Davies . He's in the MM every Saturday night at least . Short arse with a beard .
Only had a beer in MM twice both times on a walk round the Lake--once in Glorious sunshine and the other while letting a downpour pass over. Never had a beer in there on a night at all, your mate must have a bit of a trip to get there as not many houses around apart from a couple under Castle Crag

The Lakes are class and March is quiet, I stayed in a B & B close to Keswick with views of Skidaw.

It barely rained too.

Easy access to loadsa walks

When their father used to run the Coledale ( pre MM days ) he used to let our family reserve tables there , unique back in the day.

When their father used to run the Coledale ( pre MM days ) he used to let our family reserve tables there , unique back in the day.
Aye father set the business up canny and very customer focused and Friendly. G is the brains of the business now and M the playboy.
Think they still have the the White Horse at Scales anarl after taking a lease on it a few years ago. Ruddings due to come back to them in another 2/3 years and that`s where we do most of our drinking over there. Be interesting to see what happens when lease finishes for Andy and Liz

I'm sure the old man used to have an XJS cabriolet many moons ago and used to cruise around Newlands valley in it from time to time.

Did he pass away to anything drink related or is that me adding two and two together ?

Funnily enough we ended up in MM last May for the first time in years , sat outside in the garden having a bite to eat whilst the sunset , a proverbial gold mine that weekend I reckon.

Often do that , pop over to the Lakes early , long walk , bite to eat and leave for home after the traffic has disappeared about 7.45/8.00 pm , back home for 9.30 , a lot of folk don't know what's a few hours away man.

The Lakes are class and March is quiet, I stayed in a B & B close to Keswick with views of Skidaw.

It barely rained too.

Easy access to loadsa walks
Love Keswick. Loads of great walks nearby. Good pubs and decent restaurants as well.
Stayed at a place on Chestnut Hill, but looks like they've packed it in..which is a shame like..Easy access to everywhere.

We had a class time.

I love the lakes, my parents used to take me to a caravan on Ullswater each year. About once a year I'll jump in the car and drive over to Ullswater and remember my parents, then I drive over to Surprise View, Honister Pass, Buttermere, then back along Borrowdale through Grange and along the west side of Derwentwater.
I carry on past Thirlmere and Grasmere to Ambleside then either drive over Kirkstone Pass towards home or carry on through Bowness, Kirby Lonsdale down to Skipton then home via the A59.
I do this alone and find it recharges my battery.
I also go over for a weekend in Keswick each year with the Missus. I used to youth hostel and camp over there when younger and have done quite a bit of walking there but my knee is goosed now and the only walking I do now is from pub to pub.
It's a great feeling bombing over the A66 on a Friday evening seing the sun go down as you approach the Lakes.

Back