Lake District

You mean Bowness? Windermere is pretty dull as in the town

Any of the big towns will suit for a short visit
Keswick
Ambleside
Bowness

Big town? :eek:

I still think Keswick and Ambleside offer a good mix of shopping and easy access to decent walks. Speaking as a woman who enjoys both. :)

You like Rush and Rubyshoesday then? :)

If you've a few bob to invest in entertaining a lady friend The Samling would help blow her socks off. Who knows, you may even bump into Sting, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and other luminaries who have frequented the place. Mind, I'm reliably informed that the grub is better at Holbeck Gyhll. ;)

We usually stay in ambleside - plenty of decent walks and pubs around. There's a cracking Thai restaurant too.

I've just booked to again next month

Which one? ;)

A new Japanese style noodle bar (Ramen?) has opened to good reviews, the Wabi Sabi.

Last edited:
Keswick is my favourite, stayed for a week in Feb and then over xmas. Been going since 1976. We stay in the centre and you can do so many walks without using your car. Up whilst its still dark, walk over to Portinscale and Braithwaite for first light, then up Grizedale Pike whilst people are eating their breakfasts. Been a little ritual of mine, struggling with my knees now like, alright going up but coming down is torture.

I've been there a few times and it is indeed nice but the pubs are shite in Glenridding.
I like those pubs. Beckside bar, Travellers Rest and Ramblers at the Inn on the lake. The White Lion just along the road is good too.

I love the lakes, my parents used to take me to a caravan on Ullswater each year. About once a year I'll jump in the car and drive over to Ullswater and remember my parents, then I drive over to Surprise View, Honister Pass, Buttermere, then back along Borrowdale through Grange and along the west side of Derwentwater.
I carry on past Thirlmere and Grasmere to Ambleside then either drive over Kirkstone Pass towards home or carry on through Bowness, Kirby Lonsdale down to Skipton then home via the A59.
I do this alone and find it recharges my battery.
I also go over for a weekend in Keswick each year with the Missus. I used to youth hostel and camp over there when younger and have done quite a bit of walking there but my knee is goosed now and the only walking I do now is from pub to pub.
It's a great feeling bombing over the A66 on a Friday evening seing the sun go down as you approach the Lakes.
I have a caravan at Pooley Bridge. To be honest I prefer the other end of the lake but it gives us a convenient base.

Windermere/Bowness is rubbish, avoid. Crap pubs, basically Blackpool by a lake and you have to get a bus or drive to get near any of the classic hikes - Keswick or Ambleside is the correct answer

Strangely ,i googled ambleside for some map referencing and its says "ambleside is a town in cumbria" and i thought learn something every day

Windermere/Bowness is rubbish, avoid. Crap pubs, basically Blackpool by a lake and you have to get a bus or drive to get near any of the classic hikes - Keswick or Ambleside is the correct answer
Nowt like Blackpool and windermere isn't on a lake,Bowness is the most commercial but hardly crap pubs,loads of shops and eats etc and stuff to do for the non Chris Bonningtons .Miller howe has some of the best sunsets on the planet

Last edited:
We went to Armathwaite Hall in Bassenthwaite a few weeks back, for a long weekend treat with a stately home vibe. It was great, but expensive even with a coupon. And you wouldn't want to buy a pint in their bar. Some nice walks though.

If you've a few bob to invest in entertaining a lady friend The Samling would help blow her socks off. Who knows, you may even bump into Sting, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and other luminaries who have frequented the place. Mind, I'm reliably informed that the grub is better at Holbeck Gyhll. ;)

Which one? ;)

A new Japanese style noodle bar (Ramen?) has opened to good reviews, the Wabi Sabi.

This one!

http://ambleside-thai-restaurant.com

Booked Keswick in the end. The hotel in Bowness I fancied went up too much. Thanks for all the advice - now what to do over the weekend...?

We're quite big walkers, so that'll take up a lot of the weekend. Any particular walks around that area, or other outdoor things?

Back