Kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like them, not because they’re crap, though they are, but because they are cynical money grabbing wankers who obviously don’t give a fuck about music. They even did a disco record ffs as that was where the money was at the time.

And it was a great record.

Lots of bands change their style to move with the times.

40 years since I heard them and blew my musical world wide open. Saw them for the first time in 1983 and have seen them on every tour since. It`s a bitter sweet moment today. Excited to see the show but sad that it`s the last tour. They`ve done some great songs and some not so great ones, even Gene Simmons admits that, but the show and the songs make such an event. I know loads of people going tonight. It`s going to be a great night.
Similar start to me, bought Destroyer and Detroit Rock City blew me away, first saw them at Wembley Arena and we only sorted Glasgow last week which involves a trip out with friends, beers and a new venue.

Just didn't fancy Newcastle Arena which has served its purpose but is now falling way behind.

One bonus to that is I missed none of the cricket

Overall musical ability. Lyrics, voices and playing instruments.
Music is and always will be about preference and opinion, over the (many) years I've learned not to criticise other folks's choice cos I know loads who hate what I like.

Just out of interest marra, what turns float your boat?

Last edited:
I never understood the appeal..they always seemed a bit lightweight

and their best song is an argent cover...but its a great cover and features in the best ending to a movie ever

Similar start to me, bought Destroyer and Detroit Rock City blew me away, first saw them at Wembley Arena and we only sorted Glasgow last week which involves a trip out with friends, beers and a new venue.

Just didn't fancy Newcastle Arena which has served its purpose but is now falling way behind.

Music is and always will be about preference and opinion, over the (many) years I've learned not to criticise other folks's choice cos I know loads who hate what I like.

The music doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It was simply how poor it was executed on the video I tagged. It just wasn’t played well.

I like all sorts. Currently listening to Nils Frahm.

Ace Frehley is regularly quoted as being a massive influence on some of the best guitarists in the world.

Gene Simmons while not a spectacular bass player wrote some great bass lines.

Ace Frehley is regularly quoted as being a massive influence on some of the best guitarists in the world.

They might well be but I did explain I was commenting just on the video posted. I was surprised how bad it seemed.

Never gave them a serious listen,probably how the look would be the reason .Clearly they had something back in the day and the fans still stay loyal but I don't get it ,Crazy nights was awful and the Rock n roll song .File under Rocky horror show

The music doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It was simply how poor it was executed on the video I tagged. It just wasn’t played well.

I like all sorts. Currently listening to Nils Frahm.
Fair enough

Posted this last year and have added The Eagles to it since

A live gig list I've collated over the years, deffo rock orientated but not all, there's loads of stuff that doesn't get listened to but I'm game for most stuff.

AC/DC, NCL Mayfair, City Hall, NCL Arena, Wembley, Etihad

Rolling Stones - Knebworth 1975

AC/DC - Mayfair 1978

Rammstein - twice

KISS - Wembley Arena in the 70s, City Hall & Arena

Bruce Springsteen - twice

Van Halen - when they supported Black Sabbath at the City Hall & blew them off the stage.

Status Quo - Sunderland Empire 70s

ZZ Top - City Hall 70s & Vegas 00s

Aerosmith - NCL Arena

Oasis - SOL

Foo Fighters - 3 times - best at SOL

Kings of Leon - Manchester Arena

Airbourne - Carling Academy

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

UFO

Scorpions

Boston

The Damned

Wings

Hootie & the Blowfish

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Kid Creole & the Coconuts

The Mavericks

Styx

Foreigner

Alter Bridge

Rainbow Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Luther Vandross (I know not a band but a legend)

The Enemy

Jools Holland & His Big Band

Madness

Bad Manners

Bryan Adams

Journey

Queen - 1975 when they were a rock band

Judas Priest

10CC

Lynryd Skynryd

Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Thin Lizzy

Ramones

Bon Jovi

RHCP

Prodigy

Kasabian

Kaiser Chiefs

Cheap Trick (who?)

Iggy Pop

Metallica

Motley Crue

Simply Red

Rush

Bad Company

U2 (very early days - would like to see them now)

Duran Duran (again very early days, did one song twice)

Motorhead

Nickelback (superb)

Ted Nugent

David Guetta

Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet band

Curtis Stigers

Level 42

Saxon

Rose Tattoo

Cadillac Three

Brothers Osborne

Liam Gallagher

I can’t offhand think of any who’ve said that but I bet if they did very few of them would regard him as an influence beyond deciding o get a guitar. He is sluggish and unimaginative even by mid-70s rock standards, which were quite low. A very limited rock guitarist and I don’t mean just keeping it simple like Angus Young. Just not very good.

Simmons is adequate for that kind of stuff.. His bass lines are not great. As a fan of the act you’re inflating their playing abilities beyond the pretty mundane level they work at.

I can’t offhand think of any who’ve said that but I bet if they did very few of them would regard him as an influence beyond deciding o get a guitar. He is sluggish and unimaginative even by mid-70s rock standards, which were quite low. A very limited rock guitarist and I don’t mean just keeping it simple like Angus Young. Just not very good.

Simmons is adequate for that kind of stuff.. His bass lines are not great. As a fan of the act you’re inflating their playing abilities beyond the pretty mundane level they work at.

Off the top of my head.

Marty Friedman
Mike McCready
Tom Morello

I don't think anyone holds him (Ace) in high regards as a technical player, however, he was clearly doing something right for the number of prominent players who reference him as a big influence.

I'm not sure how I have inflated their playing abilities, when I have said quite the opposite in Simmons' case, he has written some very catchy bass lines IMO.

Off the top of my head.

Marty Friedman
Mike McCready
Tom Morello

I don't think anyone holds him (Ace) in high regards as a technical player, however, he was clearly doing something right for the number of prominent players who reference him as a big influence.

I'm not sure how I have inflated their playing abilities, when I have said quite the opposite in Simmons' case, he has written some very catchy bass lines IMO.
I'd put them in showmanship Rock n Roll show camp more than technical playing .They do what they do well .I've never heard them quoted as influences either

Reactions: Pop
I don’t like them, not because they’re crap, though they are, but because they are cynical money grabbing wankers who obviously don’t give a fuck about music. They even did a disco record ffs as that was where the money was at the time.
So did the stones
So did Bowie
So did Rod
So did Elton
So did pink floyd
....nowt wrong with disco anyway imo!:cool:

I'd put them in showmanship Rock n Roll show camp more than technical playing .They do what they do well .I've never heard them quoted as influences either

I agree, I don't think anyone in Kiss would say they are 'players'.

That being said, you don't have to be technically brilliant to be an influence on others who maybe technically brilliant themselves.

A Love Letter to Ace Frehley: Artists Share the Blazing KISS Solos That Inspired Them

Marty Friedman: Why Ace Frehley Is Better Than Jimmy Page in My Book

Had a brilliant night, met up with the lads I first saw them with over 30 Year’s ago. First album I ever bought with my own money was Destroyer for £2.50 from The Handy Shop in Laygate:). They’ve done a lot of stuff I haven’t really gotten away with over the years but I’ve always had a great time whenever I’ve seen them live.

FTM

Glasgow arena is a good venue, a million miles better than Newcastle arena

Gene Simmons has always said they were no Shakespeare`s or Jazz impresario`s. They are all about putting on a show. It`s meant to be escapist fun not an exercise in intense musicianship and few bands if any put on a better spectacle than KISS.

I never understood the appeal..they always seemed a bit lightweight

and their best song is an argent cover...but its a great cover and features in the best ending to a movie ever

I will have to disagree very strongly with you there ;):lol:. They have done many, many songs so much better than that Argent cover. I actually prefer the cover by Dennis Greaves and The Truth than the KISS version.

f***ing hell that's horrific in just about every way imaginable.
Each to their own. I`d probably say the same being stuck in the middle of a Rave or watching some dreary as dishwater, faceless Indie by numbers band that was feted by the NME a couple of years back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back