Kids quitting university to play FIFA

Fair enough, I play the odd ipad game usually with a max time of 20 mins, so Im out of touch with this sort of thing.

I could do with finding a fun multiplayer tablet based game to play with a 7 and 11 year old if anyone knows any.

Doodle jump - needs 2 phones/tablets tho

Wtaf is this all about. BBC news this morning doing a thing all about kids leaving degree courses behind to play Xbox. My lads would be getting booted in the tadger if they came home one day and said dad guess what I'm going to stay in all day and play on a games console .

One of them saying it's mentally challenging and you need to be as fit as a pro player to do it. Am I just being an old fart or is there actually some reasoning behind it.

Surely it's just a game and nobody gives a toss ???

To be fair if they improved the career mode I would pack work in like

I watch a few game streamers on youtube/twitch. It's more about their personality than the game in question.

There must be plenty of money in it, judging by the amount of absolute over the top bell-ends that do it. It's like anything, if you find it interesting, there'll be somebody on YouTube posting videos about it.

I was f***ing class at Chuckie Egg. And then Streetfighter. And then I discovered lasses and beer
Was that on Mega Drive?

Last edited:
not to be sniffed at :p:D:eek: you would have to put the hours in tho , its not bang bang 15 million. when i was FAT i would play allot of cod allday, then one day someone noted me Kill ratio and where very impressed, meant nowt to me but i did play most the day on cod & nee exercise , now it tons of exercise & next to no cod/ any games.

As has been said, some of these streamers/youtubers are worth watching for their personalities. Kind of like watching a TV show with a personality you like on it, but talking about computer games you enjoy playing.

Some of them are obviously aimed at kids, like the aforementioned DanTDM who has his own merchandise and even books out about him playing the likes of Minecraft. My missus' 7-year-old loves him, watches him all the time, and has at least one of his books.

There's a massive adult market too though. Not all games on consoles and PC's are as simplistic as the likes of Chucky Egg. Some games are so incredibly complex that the only way to get "good" at them is to watch others doing it and explaining it. Games like EVE Online, or the Paradox "grand strategy" game serieses Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts Of Iron etc. These games would be unplayable for huge numbers of people without there being tuition videos made by experts explaining the various game concepts.

It's not all just "shooting zombies or pretending to be a race car".

Imagine being salaried for $25,000 a month for three years and winning hundreds of thousands in prize money and travelling the world all through playing games. Yeah I'd much rather punch my ticket laying bricks in Pallion, drinking piss beer in my local boozer before heading home to watch Corrie with the other half.

As has been said, some of these streamers/youtubers are worth watching for their personalities. Kind of like watching a TV show with a personality you like on it, but talking about computer games you enjoy playing.

Some of them are obviously aimed at kids, like the aforementioned DanTDM who has his own merchandise and even books out about him playing the likes of Minecraft. My missus' 7-year-old loves him, watches him all the time, and has at least one of his books.

There's a massive adult market too though. Not all games on consoles and PC's are as simplistic as the likes of Chucky Egg. Some games are so incredibly complex that the only way to get "good" at them is to watch others doing it and explaining it. Games like EVE Online, or the Paradox "grand strategy" game serieses Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts Of Iron etc. These games would be unplayable for huge numbers of people without there being tuition videos made by experts explaining the various game concepts.

My pal plays that EVE Online game looks boring tbh but I only seen a bit of it he loves it.

Said he was in a group once with Tom Hanks apparently, fuck knows if true or not but he said it was him and could hear him over the microphone in game.

He’s played it for years now must be over 10 I think.

I tried it years ago too but could tell straight away it’s a game you need to play loads to even get going on it to begin with.

Imagine being salaried for $25,000 a month for three years and winning hundreds of thousands in prize money and travelling the world all through playing games. Yeah I'd much rather punch my ticket laying bricks in Pallion, drinking piss beer in my local boozer before heading home to watch Corrie with the other half.

If I could do it I would like, I like the odd game of FIFA now and then as hardly play on computers anymore but if they can make a living off it fair play to them.

Last edited:
My pal plays that EVE Online game looks boring tbh but I only seen a bit of it he loves it.

Said he was in a group once with Tom Hanks apparently, fuck knows if true or not but he said it was him and could hear him over the microphone in game.

He’s played it for years now must be over 10 I think.

I tried it years ago too but could tell straight away it’s a game you need to play loads to even get going on it to begin with.

It's an epic game in the traditional sense of the word. With it being one huge sandbox, there are countless different ways to play it. Your experience if you just do solo PVE in high security space will be very different from someone living in a huge alliance in nulsec, which will be very different from someone living with a pirate corp in wormholespace, which will be very different from a career Incursioner, which... well, you get the idea.

I've never known an MMO game with such a steep learning curve. It's insane.

Last edited:

You know far too much about this mate ;) :)

It's an epic game in the traditional sense of the word. With it being one huge sandbox, there are countless different ways to play it. Your experience if you just do solo PVE in high security space will be very different from someone living in a huge alliance in nulsec, which will be very different from someone living with a pirate corp in wormholespace, which will be very different from a career Incursioner, which... well, you get the idea.

I've never known an MMO game with such a steep learning curve. It's insane.

Aye it’s massive like, takes too much time for me though. I lasted about an hour then got bored of mining to get a better ship.

Heard it’s really good though think it’s all my pal does when he’s not got the bairns as hardly see him :lol:

Aye it’s massive like, takes too much time for me though. I lasted about an hour then got bored of mining to get a better ship.

Heard it’s really good though think it’s all my pal does when he’s not got the bairns as hardly see him :lol:

Yeah, mining is boring, no pun intended. It can be a fairly lucrative way to pass the time while doing something else like watching Netflix, once your character is capable of using the proper heavy duty mining ships and crystals, and when you can do all the refining yourself instead of either paying stations to do it or just selling the ore as is. Then there's manufacturing... :lol:

I had four accounts towards the end of me playing it, each with three characters attached. I was spending so much time every day just trying to earn enough ingame money to pay for the accounts that it became like a full-time job. I got to a point where I realised I wasn't enjoying it anymore, I was just playing to earn the money to keep playing.

And then our small wormhole corp got seiged by a massive pirate corp who killed all of our POSes (player-owned stations) in our wormhole system, which meant we lost something like 200 billion ISK worth of ships and fuck knows how much in ore and manufacturing materials. Almost half of that was mine alone. I really lost interest then. :lol:

There’s an increasing trend in famous faces doing this sort of stuff other than personal gain.

Mesut Ozil once streamed Fortnite
Neymar streamed the latest COD
David Meyler streams almost daily but everything goes to charity
Fat Brazilian Ronaldo streams poker
Ex-UFC Demeitrous Johnson streams regularly, drug testers actually came to his house whilst live once.
Drake once appeared on Ninja’s stream (Fortnite players will know who Ninja is)

Hardly a place for fat virgins

not to be sniffed at :p:D:eek: you would have to put the hours in tho , its not bang bang 15 million. when i was FAT i would play allot of cod allday, then one day someone noted me Kill ratio and where very impressed, meant nowt to me but i did play most the day on cod & nee exercise , now it tons of exercise & next to no cod/ any games.

Anyone ever approached you to make the film?

Back