Kids quitting university to play FIFA

Wtaf is this all about. BBC news this morning doing a thing all about kids leaving degree courses behind to play Xbox. My lads would be getting booted in the tadger if they came home one day and said dad guess what I'm going to stay in all day and play on a games console .

One of them saying it's mentally challenging and you need to be as fit as a pro player to do it. Am I just being an old fart or is there actually some reasoning behind it.

Surely it's just a game and nobody gives a toss ???

What's not mentally challenging about playing a game of Fifa 8 hours a day.
It's not like yea can go, ah ill gan for a nap for a bit cos you have to treat it with the same mentality as it were a proper job.

I've been involved and up to date in the eSports scene so I'll give a backstory about Fifa -
It started off in Germany where the German clubs, Hannover were the first I believe, said we'll recruit a player for an Online team, make him wear our shirt thus giving more brand exposure to the sponsors of said Football shirt thus more income, and he gets paid to try and win tournaments. A win-win situation.
Most of the other German clubs followed suit
PSG decided to go apeshit by sinking £10 million into players across 5 different games
Now the English clubs are doing the German model hence why competitive Fifa has become very mainstream in this country

Not to play computer games, normally out at football, pub, looking after grandbairns or Tele with the missus.
What else are you gonna do on a Saturday? Sit in your fuckin' armchair wankin' off to Pop Idols? Then try and avoid your wife's gaze as you struggle to come to terms with your sexless marriage? Then go and spunk your wages on kebabs, fruit machines and brasses?

What's not mentally challenging about playing a game of Fifa 8 hours a day.
It's not like yea can go, ah ill gan for a nap for a bit cos you have to treat it with the same mentality as it were a proper job.

I've been involved and up to date in the eSports scene so I'll give a backstory about Fifa -
It started off in Germany where the German clubs, Hannover were the first I believe, said we'll recruit a player for an Online team, make him wear our shirt thus giving more brand exposure to the sponsors of said Football shirt thus more income, and he gets paid to try and win tournaments. A win-win situation.
Most of the other German clubs followed suit
PSG decided to go apeshit by sinking £10 million into players across 5 different games
Now the English clubs are doing the German model hence why competitive Fifa has become very mainstream in this country

Fuchs has set up a team called no Fuchs given or something

Laughable opinions of gamers on here like.

If you game you must be

Fat/virgin/bairn

:lol:

Truly the most oppressed minority. Gamers rise up.

Last edited:
Wtaf is this all about. BBC news this morning doing a thing all about kids leaving degree courses behind to play Xbox. My lads would be getting booted in the tadger if they came home one day and said dad guess what I'm going to stay in all day and play on a games console .

One of them saying it's mentally challenging and you need to be as fit as a pro player to do it. Am I just being an old fart or is there actually some reasoning behind it.

It’s today’s equivalent to joining the International Brigade and going to fight Franco’s fascists in Spain.

Some have ended up with professional contracts havent they? West Ham has some esports players on the pay roll.

Hammers add Jamboo to eSports team | West Ham United

Last edited:
Kids at school are always watching you tube videos of people playing video games while giving commentary. Some of these nerds are like pop stars to the kids.

They are big news apparently. Beats the days of playing sonic the hedgehog for 3 hours without the luxury of having the save option :lol:
My son does this with minecraft. We installed a screentime app where we give him 3 hours at the weekend, 1.5 on a school day. Sometimes it has been 15 mins playing and 2:45 watching other people play.

I remember back in the day when a few of us would pile into a mates bedroom to play on their Amiga. It got boring watching them play waiting for your turn. I really don’t get why kids would chose to do this over playing the game themselves.

My son does this with minecraft. We installed a screentime app where we give him 3 hours at the weekend, 1.5 on a school day. Sometimes it has been 15 mins playing and 2:45 watching other people play.

I remember back in the day when a few of us would pile into a mates bedroom to play on their Amiga. It got boring watching them play waiting for your turn. I really don’t get why kids would chose to do this over playing the game themselves.

Before I play a new killer on Dead by Daylight, or if I’m struggling with one, I watch a fella called Tru3ta1ent play them. Why? Because he knows what he’s doing much better than I do, and I get to grips with it myself much quicker.

What else are you gonna do on a Saturday? Sit in your fuckin' armchair wankin' off to Pop Idols? Then try and avoid your wife's gaze as you struggle to come to terms with your sexless marriage? Then go and spunk your wages on kebabs, fruit machines and brasses?

Fuchs has set up a team called no Fuchs given or something

I get what you're saying. But it's not exactly the same as being recruited by an Emirate Oil Company to play Fifa.

But it emphasises how seriously Internet gaming is being taking seriously when you see the same shirt and logo Mbappe, Neymar etc wear as some nerd.
What people underestimate is how seriously gaming schedules are - In a nutshell you do the typical 9-5. You go gym mandatory to realise endorphins , you eat together even if the **** next to you eats like a scoundrel licking window licking Greggs window down Marley Potts, someone pissed on the seat gotta tolerate that too, its a gruelling schedule

I get what you're saying. But it's not exactly the same as being recruited by an Emirate Oil Company to play Fifa.

But it emphasises how seriously Internet gaming is being taking seriously when you see the same shirt and logo Mbappe, Neymar etc wear as some nerd.
What people underestimate is how seriously gaming schedules are - In a nutshell you do the typical 9-5. You go gym mandatory to realise endorphins , you eat together even if the **** next to you eats like a scoundrel licking window licking Greggs window down Marley Potts, someone pissed on the seat gotta tolerate that too, its a gruelling schedule

Oh I know it isn’t an easy life, I was quoting the football factory to be glib because I’m sick of hearing the same old shite.

The independents are raking it in too - and all from home. It’s no different to any other professional sport really.

The card game I play - Magic: the Gathering - has a pro scene, and there’s a book called Jonny Magic and the card shark kids about the greatest player of all time. He started playing M:tG then moved into poker and blackjack. Made a fortune and now runs a hedge fund. Fascinating book.

Before I play a new killer on Dead by Daylight, or if I’m struggling with one, I watch a fella called Tru3ta1ent play them. Why? Because he knows what he’s doing much better than I do, and I get to grips with it myself much quicker.
I have always found the fun is working stuff out yourself, unless you hit a complete dead end. No idea what that game you said is, so it might be different.

Multiplayer game mate. It’s far more enjoyable if everyone knows what they are doing.
Fair enough, I play the odd ipad game usually with a max time of 20 mins, so Im out of touch with this sort of thing.

I could do with finding a fun multiplayer tablet based game to play with a 7 and 11 year old if anyone knows any.

Back