Kendal Calling 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who are the lacklustre scenesters from Shoreditch? (name some bands)

What annoys me is middle class white lads pretending to be working class for rock and roll purposes - Oasis, Kasabian, The Enema, The View, The Courteeners etc.

I've got no problem with Frank Turner because he's never hidden his background.
It's was a direct quote from a Frank Turner song.

I get your point and I agree with it. Personally I don't particularly think he plays on his upbringing very much in his songs, and if he does and it's not entirely accurate but strikes a chord with other people then fair play to him. In fairness he has done more hard graft in terms of the grind of touring arguably than any other artist or band in the last decade and for anyone who has ever been on tour in any capacity without being a multi millionaire it's proper hard work.

I really like him, I like what he is about and I like his music.

personally i don't like him cos his music, lyrics and whole demeanour is weak as piss. you can see what he is trying to do, unfortunately he is too twee and rounded to offer any edge

i love Jamie T, who had quite a middle class upbringing, yet his music and lyrical narrative is original and edgy, almost punk without trying
I'm as big a fan of Jamie T as I am Frank Turner, make of that what you will. Neither to do with their backgrounds more to do with they both make great music.

@mux loves to absolutely rage about music like
:lol:

Mate I keep away about debating politics and football and save my energy for the music I love :p

Last edited:
personally i don't like him cos his music, lyrics and whole demeanour is weak as piss. you can see what he is trying to do, unfortunately he is too twee and rounded to offer any edge

i love Jamie T, who had quite a middle class upbringing, yet his music and lyrical narrative is original and edgy, almost punk without trying
Yup, nothing more twee, rounded, and unpunk as Million Dead or Mongol Horde (well, OK, MH have a bit of humour to them).;)

Just kidding, I'm a big JT fan as well as FT, but I honestly never got why background has to have anything to do with music cred. (I know you're not saying that - you just don't like him or his music). You so much as mention the music of people like FT and Bragg on here and droves start banging on about their background or beliefs. Odd.

It's was a direct quote from a Frank Turner song.

I get your point and I agree with it. Personally I don't particularly think he plays on his upbringing very much in his songs, and if he does and it's not entirely accurate but strikes a chord with other people then fair play to him. In fairness he has done more hard graft in terms of the grind of touring arguably than any other artist or band in the last decade and for anyone who has ever been on tour in any capacity without being a multi millionaire it's proper hard work.

I really like him, I like what he is about and I like his music.

I'm as big a fan of Jamie T as I am Frank Turner, make of that what you will. Neither to do with their backgrounds more to do with they both make great music.

:lol:

Mate I keep away about debating politics and football and save my energy for the music I love :p
If you listen to something like Back in the day he explains it quite well. He was a hardcore punk in his teens - straight edge, the whole shooting match - maybe rebelling against his upbringing, but he accepted you cant go on banging that drum all your life and moved on. He says he first got called a sell out when he toured in a van with seats in it, so he's not bothered about the labels.
Despite the legions of haters, he must be doing something right to have such devoted fans though. I go and see him every time he comes round without question and every show is fantastic. Even if you're not a great fan of the music, the energy of the live shows is a thing to behold.
It's just a shame that at Kendal I'll be standing with a load of people who won't know any of his songs. I may have to abandon them for a while and venture down the front so as not to subject them to me tunelessly bawling all the words.

The SMB judging Frank Turner negatively because he went to a particular school. I wonder who their favourite artists are and what their backgrounds are.

Is anybody else sick of the music that's churned out by lacklustre scenesters from Shoreditch? It's all sex drugs and sins like they're extras from Skins. But it's okay because they don't really mean it.
I don't mind Frank Turner. To call him a man of the people is a tad amusing mind.

Who are the lacklustre scenesters from Shoreditch? (name some bands)

What annoys me is middle class white lads pretending to be working class for rock and roll purposes - Oasis, Kasabian, The Enema, The View, The Courteeners etc.

I've got no problem with Frank Turner because he's never hidden his background.
:eek: :lol: Aye, Burnage was a proper middle class stronghold like. Fuck sake.

Based on what?

I've no idea where it puts him in terms of hard graft but his wikipedia pages reckons his Reading performance last year was his 1955th show. He joined Million Dead in 2001 but they didn't tour until 2002 so I reckon that's 15 years for 1955 gigs, which works out at 130 a year, which is a decent amount.

I've no idea where it puts him in terms of hard graft but his wikipedia pages reckons his Reading performance last year was his 1955th show. He joined Million Dead in 2001 but they didn't tour until 2002 so I reckon that's 15 years for 1955 gigs, which works out at 130 a year, which is a decent amount.

it is good going. but not exactly 'graft'. be getting sniffed off his tits and balls deep in new town every night

Fair enough, but what are the stats like for every other artist in the world?

Fair enough, but what are the stats like for every other artist in the world?

No idea but, as a comparison, Springsteen's River tour which started in January last year in the US and finishes this weekend in New Zealand included 89 dates (would have been 90 but he cancelled a show in North Carolina because of their transgender bathroom laws). Obviously, this isn't a direct comparison as Springsteen plays large arenas and stadiums and toured numerous countries across three continents but it's the first stats for someone else I could find.

No idea but, as a comparison, Springsteen's River tour which started in January last year in the US and finishes this weekend in New Zealand included 89 dates (would have been 90 but he cancelled a show in North Carolina because of their transgender bathroom laws). Obviously, this isn't a direct comparison as Springsteen plays large arenas and stadiums and toured numerous countries across three continents but it's the first stats for someone else I could find.
I was just being silly to be fair.

If you listen to something like Back in the day he explains it quite well. He was a hardcore punk in his teens - straight edge, the whole shooting match - maybe rebelling against his upbringing, but he accepted you cant go on banging that drum all your life and moved on. He says he first got called a sell out when he toured in a van with seats in it, so he's not bothered about the labels.
Despite the legions of haters, he must be doing something right to have such devoted fans though. I go and see him every time he comes round without question and every show is fantastic. Even if you're not a great fan of the music, the energy of the live shows is a thing to behold.
It's just a shame that at Kendal I'll be standing with a load of people who won't know any of his songs. I may have to abandon them for a while and venture down the front so as not to subject them to me tunelessly bawling all the words.
Well Dave give me a shout mate, I'll be at the front anyway like, partying like a good un.

Based on what?
I see this has been answered already. Aye he does tour like there's no tomorrow. Unreal given the amount of energy he expends during a gig.

it is good going. but not exactly 'graft'. be getting sniffed off his tits and balls deep in new town every night
Well if you know anything you'll know that's proper hard work as well mate ;) :lol:

Last edited:
He only counts solo/sleeping souls shows. It's currently 2031 since Sep 04, which works out at 160 a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back