Keeping off the drink.

Cheers, I do. When I stopped, never thought I would go this long. In my mind I said three months but decided to keep going. In that time I have endured many events and occasions where drinking would have been the norm, including a family death, Christmas, leaving a job, flying, foreign holiday, concerts and comedy nights etc. Things I never thought I could 'do' sober.

So what do you do?

Drink zero alcohol stuff, or just not go?

I can do a month or two and do a few home games and nights out not drinking but ultimately I'd miss getting drunk with me mates and talking shite

I need to and I’m going to
So much of it is just habit. Being conditioned to drinking in certain scenarios without really questioning it. It gets easier. I found the first few weeks hard, especially going for a curry in London and dying for a Cobra, going to a concert and not having a couple of jars. And I was a heavy, habitual drinker (7 days a week, 365 days a year). White wine was my thing. Over the last year and a bit I have been on the Heineken 0.0 and alcohol free Tanqueray 'gin' to a lesser degree. Just got back from two weeks in Spain and stuck to the alcohol free beers but meant I could drive about, without being a slave to the booze.
So what do you do?

Drink zero alcohol stuff, or just not go?

I can do a month or two and do a few home games and nights out not drinking but ultimately I'd miss getting drunk with me mates and talking shite
Yes, Heineken 0.0 daily, Nastro Azurro 0 sometimes and Tanqueray alcohol free less often (too pricey!)

Last edited:
So much of it is just habit. Being conditioned to drinking in certain scenarios without really questioning it. It gets easier. I found the first few weeks hard, especially going for a curry in London and dying for a Cobra, going to a concert and not having a couple of jars. And I was a heavy, habitual drinker (7 days a week, 365 days a year). White wine was my thing. Over the last year and a bit I have been on the Heineken 0.0 and alcohol free Tanqueray 'gin' to a lesser degree. Just got back from two weeks in Spain and stuck to the alcohol free beers but meant I could drive about, without being a slave to the booze.

Yes, Heineken 0.0 daily, Nastro Azurro 0 sometimes and Tanqueray alcohol free less often (too pricey!)

Good going. We've got a bottle of CleanCo. R (rum) you can get it from Tesco and a bottle of CleanCo. G (the gin one)

the R (rum) one is superb for 0% .

I make dark and stormy's with them... 50ml of the spirit, 100mm of ginger beer, slice of lime and some ice, it's tremendous. Drink/sip them all the time in the house . Highly recommend it

Good going. We've got a bottle of CleanCo. R (rum) you can get it from Tesco and a bottle of CleanCo. G (the gin one)

I make dark and stormy's with them... 50ml of the spirit, 100mm of ginger beer, slice of lime and some ice, it's tremendous. Drink/sip them all the time in the house . Highly recommend it
Definitely recommend the Tanqueray 0 over the CleanCo (although it is still decent). Tanqueray tastes like the real thing for me, especially as you say, with ice, lime and fever tree Tonic. You can sometimes get it for £15 on offer.

Sipsmith 'gin' is also decent but expensive.

Heineken 0.0 ice cold tastes close to the alcoholic version for me.

In the early days of sobriety I thought about zero% alcohol but decided not to go down that road, l know my mind would have told me me I was missing something and more than likely I would have wanted the real deal.
28 yrs on, I go in a pub now and then, usually for a meal but tend not to linger.
Not because of the temptation, but because I usually get the local nut sitting next to me.
Today I walked Shields to Sunderland, something I try to do twice a week.
At 77yrs of age I am thankful I can , there is no way I would be here to do this if I had not made that decision all them years ago.
Eternally grateful for the help I received.

Last edited:

CleanCo is very good for the price.

Other rums I would recommend are Caleño, Stryyk and Dead man's fingers 0.0 all three are very good in their own way

Cheers, I do. When I stopped, never thought I would go this long. In my mind I said three months but decided to keep going. In that time I have endured many events and occasions where drinking would have been the norm, including a family death, Christmas, leaving a job, flying, foreign holiday, concerts and comedy nights etc. Things I never thought I could 'do' sober.
Well done mate that's amazing

Well done mate that's amazing
Thanks mate. I honestly never thought I could ever kick it. When I used to think of the prospect of not having it, I just couldn't imagine being able not to. I only realise now what a grip it can have on you, even if you don't consider yourself 'addicted'.

It doesn't help that our entire culture is based on drinking.

Since I gave up I have become far more observant of how major a role alcohol plays in people's lives, even those you profess to not drink much. You realise many many people are drinking too much/too often but protest too much about how little they drink or how they've cut back, or don't drink during the week, or don't drink at home. Often feels they are over-explaining which suggests they are concerned about it.

I truly believe alcohol is the single biggest 'epidemic' we are facing. I understand the younger generation are turning their back on it which is brilliant, but for people of a certain age, I think we have a big issue health-wise, physical and mental. I fear since stopping I have become a bit 'holier than thou' and somewhat judgmental, but maybe I have earned the right - it hasn't been easy at all.

If anyone wants to chat, feel free to message me. I know how hard it is, and I never saw how I could get to the point I am now, but it can be done.

I’ve got no intention of giving up drink, but I’ve made a conciliatory effort not to drink until I go away at the end of the month. Going to the gym more & feel good. Got up early the other Sunday & went out on the bike & have been getting loads of shit house jobs done that I’d normally avoid. The main reason is losing a bit weight. Still much heavier than pre-covid. There’s always a pattern. No drink, better eating, more exercise.

Problem is, there’s always an excuse to drink. Stuff like a gig, or people out after the match. I’m slightly gutted I’m at a charity night I’d forgot about in a couple of weeks. I’m not going & not drinking.

But overall, think I want to get into the habit of going longer without drinking between events so I can get rid of my tits.

Thanks mate. I honestly never thought I could ever kick it. When I used to think of the prospect of not having it, I just couldn't imagine being able not to. I only realise now what a grip it can have on you, even if you don't consider yourself 'addicted'.

It doesn't help that our entire culture is based on drinking.

Since I gave up I have become far more observant of how major a role alcohol plays in people's lives, even those you profess to not drink much. You realise many many people are drinking too much/too often but protest too much about how little they drink or how they've cut back, or don't drink during the week, or don't drink at home. Often feels they are over-explaining which suggests they are concerned about it.

I truly believe alcohol is the single biggest 'epidemic' we are facing. I understand the younger generation are turning their back on it which is brilliant, but for people of a certain age, I think we have a big issue health-wise, physical and mental. I fear since stopping I have become a bit 'holier than thou' and somewhat judgmental, but maybe I have earned the right - it hasn't been easy at all.

If anyone wants to chat, feel free to message me. I know how hard it is, and I never saw how I could get to the point I am now, but it can be done.
Think your right when it comes to the younger generation mate as my 18 Yr old daughter hardly drinks at all and that's the one thing good that has came out of the mess I got myself in through drink is my daughter not even bothered about it. Well done though again you should be proud of yourself ❤️.

I’ve got no intention of giving up drink, but I’ve made a conciliatory effort not to drink until I go away at the end of the month. Going to the gym more & feel good. Got up early the other Sunday & went out on the bike & have been getting loads of shit house jobs done that I’d normally avoid. The main reason is losing a bit weight. Still much heavier than pre-covid. There’s always a pattern. No drink, better eating, more exercise.

Problem is, there’s always an excuse to drink. Stuff like a gig, or people out after the match. I’m slightly gutted I’m at a charity night I’d forgot about in a couple of weeks. I’m not going & not drinking.

But overall, think I want to get into the habit of going longer without drinking between events so I can get rid of my tits.
Good luck with it mate. I envy those that can have a single drink, or only drink x days per week. I have given up for weeks or months many times over the years, but always find for me it is all or nothing - I either drink nothing at all or go full pelt, but now I realise that I know the solution.

Ideally I would be able to enjoy the odd vino or pint, but I just know that will quickly go back to every night and I cannot allow that. It is shit but hey ho.

That's the thing mate you have realised that you are feeling better and doing a lot more, nobody asking you to knock it clean on the head as what you have done is class and you should be proud of yourself as well pal ❤️

Think your right when it comes to the younger generation mate as my 18 Yr old daughter hardly drinks at all and that's the one thing good that has came out of the mess I got myself in through drink is my daughter not even bothered about it. Well done though again you should be proud of yourself ❤️.
Not saying this is your daughter by any means, but I know a few lads on their early 20s who have no interest in drinking. They do do “other stuff” though.

Good luck with it mate. I envy those that can have a single drink, or only drink x days per week. I have given up for weeks or months many times over the years, but always find for me it is all or nothing - I either drink nothing at all or go full pelt, but now I realise that I know the solution.

Ideally I would be able to enjoy the odd vino or pint, but I just know that will quickly go back to every night and I cannot allow that. It is shit but hey ho.
Yeah I get that , I simply cannot drink at all now but for the people that can take it or leave it cutting down is a huge thing.
Be honest mate she lives with me and so does her lad and I have never saw anything like that ever and hope I don't either as I know that is a totally different road as well but I know exactly where you coming from mate 👍 @Longy

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I am pleased. When I used to think back, I would always look ahead to events and think, 'How the hell can I go there and not drink?' It seemed like an insurmountable problem, with every week presenting a 'reason' to drink, be it a social event, a birthday/anniversary, night out, flight etc. I felt enslaved and couldn't imagine a sober life. That's how much it can take over. Terrible.

Thanks mate. I am pleased. When I used to think back, I would always look ahead to events and think, 'How the hell can I go there and not drink?' It seemed like an insurmountable problem, with every week presenting a 'reason' to drink, be it a social event, a birthday/anniversary, night out, flight etc. I felt enslaved and couldn't imagine a sober life. That's how much it can take over. Terrible.
Yeah it can get a grip and the weekends seem to last longer starting on a Thursday and finishing Monday night and still working , it was a recipe for disaster waiting to happen for me as eventually it was 7 nights a week which turned to 7 full days.

for me its going down our local(s) with me dad and his old timer mates who i've known all my life and just sitting for a few hours cracking on and listening to their stories and that - they were all hippies in the 70s.

if i stopped doing that, in 20 years time i'd regret it
CleanCo is very good for the price.

Other rums I would recommend are Caleño, Stryyk and Dead man's fingers 0.0 all three are very good in their own way
i'll have a look

Amazing what you've done and are doing mate, fantastic.

for me its going down our local(s) with me dad and his old timer mates who i've known all my life and just sitting for a few hours cracking on and listening to their stories and that - they were all hippies in the 70s.

if i stopped doing that, in 20 years time i'd regret it

i'll have a look
Bet them stories are amazing mate ha

Back