Keeping off the drink.

Well done!
I bet you've saved a fortune including the crap food the next day
Cheers and yes! Still spend a fair whack on the alcohol free stuff (high time it was cheaper IMHO, to encourage people).

I reckon there should be the opposite of the sugar tax that applies to full fat Coke etc. Alcohol free or low alcohol drinks should be subsidised by the government, as in they are reduced in price compared to their alcoholic counterparts. That and a massive healthcare campaign promoting it, even things like sponsorship of major sporting events etc. and relaxation of advertising rules for alcohol free beverages.

Annoys me that the price differential is so small. I understand manufacturers are having to invest heavily in R&D for alcohol free versions, but at the same time, there is not the 80% duty levied that there is on alcohol, so the price difference should be significant. At the moment it is negligible and more often than not, all the promotions in supermarkets only apply to booze (any three packs for £20 etc.)

I feel the government needs to step in, even so far as to mandating pubs, restaurants, airlines etc. to serve a decent range. It isn't terrible here, but I have been in several Indian restaurants for example where they haven't had any on offer. Likewise Ryanair and WizzAir don't sell any (the former used to). It needs a concerted push to change attitudes. It would be great to see a Premier League or high profile Championship club wearing Heineken 0.0 on their shirts for example (although I suspect people will argue it still 'promotes' alcohol equivalents or brands).

Definitely recommend the Tanqueray 0 over the CleanCo (although it is still decent). Tanqueray tastes like the real thing for me, especially as you say, with ice, lime and fever tree Tonic. You can sometimes get it for £15 on offer.

Sipsmith 'gin' is also decent but expensive.

Heineken 0.0 ice cold tastes close to the alcoholic version for me.

I can totally get alcohol free beers and will occasionally drink them when driving. The quality and availability has massively improved in recent years. However, I just don't see the point in 0% spirits. I've tried Tanqueray Zero and it did nothing for me. I'd rather just have a plain tonic water when I'm not drinking and save the cost of some flavouring.

I can totally get alcohol free beers and will occasionally drink them when driving. The quality and availability has massively improved in recent years. However, I just don't see the point in 0% spirits. I've tried Tanqueray Zero and it did nothing for me. I'd rather just have a plain tonic water when I'm not drinking and save the cost of some flavouring.
Yeah I never saw the point in 0% spirits but that's probably because I have never really been a spirit drinker , I like the 0% Guiness I asked the woman behind the desk at Morrisons if they done 0% Frosty Jack's but it went right over her head :lol: .

I can totally get alcohol free beers and will occasionally drink them when driving.
Sounds dangerous mate!

Re the zero percent gin, same argument applies to the alcoholic version? You could just drink tonic and avoid the cost of the gin 😀

I enjoy the taste of beer and gin, whereas plenty of people admit they drink for the effect, not because they actually like it, which I find odd.

Sounds dangerous mate!

Re the zero percent gin, same argument applies to the alcoholic version? You could just drink tonic and avoid the cost of the gin 😀

I enjoy the taste of beer and gin, whereas plenty of people admit they drink for the effect, not because they actually like it, which I find odd.

It's a very long time since I drank anything for the effect rather than the taste. Can't bear the smell of a jagerbomb now.

As I said upthread, I'm not at a stage (yet) where I want to quit totally but I certainly drink far less than I did 10-20 years ago and can easily go 4-5 days during the working week without even noticing that I haven't had a drink. Now it's more about quality and enjoyment rather than quantity or with the aim of getting trashed.

I think the hardest thing about totally quitting would be holidays. I'm going away soon for 2 weeks and I suspect I will drink every day. The concept of a sober holiday is hard to for me to comprehend.

Even after just 4 days without a drink I don't half feel better! Why do we do it to ourselves?
Do you not just think a lot is ingrained into you mate , like when I was a bairn I used to always go to pub with my dad and even at such a young age used to drink the froth from the pints and pretend to be pissed.

Do you not just think a lot is ingrained into you mate , like when I was a bairn I used to always go to pub with my dad and even at such a young age used to drink the froth from the pints and pretend to be pissed.
I think it's a cultural thing yeah. I have done events in the past with no drink and it's fine and i appreciate it the next day.
But I love having a few beers and the crack that comes with it! Part of the problem is I'm not very good at having just a few.

The concept of a sober holiday is hard to for me to comprehend.
I was exactly the same. Also felt the same about watching the playoff final last year and the Lads this year too. Then going on a plane. A couple of funerals/wakes. Birthdays. Christmas. The list goes on.

A lot of it is just association and habit. And those can be broken. If you had told me a year ago I would have just come back from two weeks in a villa in Spain and didn't touch a drop, I wouldn't have been able to fathom it. Or flying several times stone cold sober. Or watching Luton vs Sunderland FFS!! 😉😀

I was exactly the same. Also felt the same about watching the playoff final last year and the Lads this year too. Then going on a plane. A couple of funerals/wakes. Birthdays. Christmas. The list goes on.

A lot of it is just association and habit. And those can be broken. If you had told me a year ago I would have just come back from two weeks in a villa in Spain and didn't touch a drop, I wouldn't have been able to fathom it. Or flying several times stone cold sober. Or watching Luton vs Sunderland FFS!! 😉😀
You've done really well and it just shows what's possible

Sounds dangerous mate!

Afraid this is me. Not saying I dislike the taste cos I don't, but don't drink for taste alone. Want to feel the effects and sometimes use it to try and supress/mask how or what I am feeling or at other times good old Dutch courage.

Not healthy I know

Afraid this is me. Not saying I dislike the taste cos I don't, but don't drink for taste alone. Want to feel the effects and sometimes use it to try and supress/mask how or what I am feeling or at other times good old Dutch courage.

Not healthy I know
I reckon the majority of people drink for the effect primarily. Even if they argue otherwise. I find it strange how a lot of people get quite animated when you talk about alcohol free beer etc., aggressively saying 'What's the point??' 'Why bother?'

Err, I like it and I want to avoid alcohol, problem??

I reckon the majority of people drink for the effect primarily. Even if they argue otherwise. I find it strange how a lot of people get quite animated when you talk about alcohol free beer etc., aggressively saying 'What's the point??' 'Why bother?'

Err, I like it and I want to avoid alcohol, problem??
The hospital told me not to drink alcohol free anything as they said it would be a temptation but I enjoy one every now and again and they forget I have shops 2 minutes away if I wanted a drink. Also I think you just do whatever works best for you and the way I do things now suits me down to the ground.

Cheers and yes! Still spend a fair whack on the alcohol free stuff (high time it was cheaper IMHO, to encourage people).

I reckon there should be the opposite of the sugar tax that applies to full fat Coke etc. Alcohol free or low alcohol drinks should be subsidised by the government, as in they are reduced in price compared to their alcoholic counterparts. That and a massive healthcare campaign promoting it, even things like sponsorship of major sporting events etc. and relaxation of advertising rules for alcohol free beverages.

Annoys me that the price differential is so small. I understand manufacturers are having to invest heavily in R&D for alcohol free versions, but at the same time, there is not the 80% duty levied that there is on alcohol, so the price difference should be significant. At the moment it is negligible and more often than not, all the promotions in supermarkets only apply to booze (any three packs for £20 etc.)

I feel the government needs to step in, even so far as to mandating pubs, restaurants, airlines etc. to serve a decent range. It isn't terrible here, but I have been in several Indian restaurants for example where they haven't had any on offer. Likewise Ryanair and WizzAir don't sell any (the former used to). It needs a concerted push to change attitudes. It would be great to see a Premier League or high profile Championship club wearing Heineken 0.0 on their shirts for example (although I suspect people will argue it still 'promotes' alcohol equivalents or brands).
I gave up over 5 years ago. In pubs, I was what marketing people call a 'male volume vertical drinker' i.e. I stood up and swilled ale or cider. I stayed out of pubs for a while until I'd dried out but now drink pints of lime cordial and soda. I got over the desire for ersatz alcohol fairly quickly, but I still like to slurp pints.
I got some alcohol free moretti the other week. it was horrible, tasted like soap
Just like the real thing!

Last edited:
I gave up over 5 years ago. In pubs, I was what marketing people call a 'male volume vertical drinker' i.e. I stood up and swilled ale or cider. I stayed out of pubs for a while until I'd dried out but now drink pints of lime cordial and soda. I got over the desire for ersatz alcohol fairly quickly, but I still like to slurp pints.

Just like the real thing!
Well done mate that Is spot on all that time and just imagine how much money you have saved.

Back