Keep feeding those birds during the snowy weather

First lockdown, last spring where we used to walk we loved watching a field full of lapwings nesting in the farmers field. I used to notice them on the bus journey to work before that. They come to the same place every year. Ongoing, It's quite sad in a way cos they're building on one side of the field effectively reducing their nesting site. Let's hope they don't stop coming. It's a great distinctive bird you would never mistake for any other bird.
We were having a walk at the same time of year up from Offerton to Penshaw and saw a lapwing wandering along through a field followed by some very young chicks.

We get Oystercatchers nearby in the feilds now they got a call
Ha class
man of my own heart no better feeling than been out in countryside with your best mate by your side 👍
Been on decent walk round Tyne valley today Jesus she went missing so many times we looking back for her whistling like mad but then turn round she sat in front of us 😂then the amount of times she rubbed up against the fox shite 🤮
ha nice garden hose shower when she got home
Flat out in front of fire now one happy dog 👍
Have caught our dog rolling in a fox carcass a couple of times, the look of euphoria on her face while doing it is mental .

Lived here for years and I often see a single robin in the garden. Only ever seen the one at time but obviously there must be more than one as I don't think it'll have been the same robin all this time!

Just looked out while I was on the phone and saw two sitting together eating some left over dried fruit that I'd put in the tray on the bird feeder. Then they flew off together doing a flirty dance. That made my day that did 😁

There's a Rookery on one corner of my local woods and about 30 pairs nest there every year. This morning I was walking up there with my dog at about 8am and there was some twat in the houses that back onto the woods banging two bits of wood together to scare the Rooks away. I think he was upset with the noise they make but the rookery was there long before the houses were built. Think I'll chuck dogshit over his fence next time I pass.

Love this thread.
Another 20kg of sunflower hearts arrived today.
Going through them fast at the mo :)
Lived here for years and I often see a single robin in the garden. Only ever seen the one at time but obviously there must be more than one as I don't think it'll have been the same robin all this time!

Just looked out while I was on the phone and saw two sitting together eating some left over dried fruit that I'd put in the tray on the bird feeder. Then they flew off together doing a flirty dance. That made my day that did 😁
They are very territorial and will chase any other Robins away from their food source and will fight with either sex in order to protect their resources in winter.

Fiesty little buggers :)

Last edited:
@Swindon On Tour I have a back yard rather than a big garden but would like to get some birds visiting (ey up). My problem is I don't live a million miles away from the metro lines so I'm always wary about attracting rats, keep the yard as clear of any clutter as possible for this reason.

What would be the best way to get them some food out? A feeder hanging off the wall or something?

@Swindon On Tour I have a back yard rather than a big garden but would like to get some birds visiting (ey up). My problem is I don't live a million miles away from the metro lines so I'm always wary about attracting rats, keep the yard as clear of any clutter as possible for this reason.

What would be the best way to get them some food out? A feeder hanging off the wall or something?

Nice little free standing bird stable with decent sides to keep the food it.
A cracking tip, if you can is put a hanging basket upside down from the roof as deters the Magpies and Pigeons. The small birds can get through the mesh.

Nut feeder and sun flower seed feeder all good but keep an eye out for rats.
Rat bait boxes with poison always good.

Saved the rind from a couple of packets of bacon from the weekend. Just sliced it up and cooked it quickly and thrown it out over the back garden. The robins are massive fans. It’s a treat for them, back to the seeds and bread later in the week.

Saved the rind from a couple of packets of bacon from the weekend. Just sliced it up and cooked it quickly and thrown it out over the back garden. The robins are massive fans. It’s a treat for them, back to the seeds and bread later in the week.

Bacon rind is fine for them as long as it isn't too salty.
All our home-made fatballs used up now. They can't get enough of them ;) Might make some more if we get another cold snap

Last edited:
Love this thread.
Another 20kg of sunflower hearts arrived today.
Going through them fast at the mo :)

They are very territorial and will chase any other Robins away from their food source and will fight with either sex in order to protect their resources in winter.

Fiesty little buggers :)

Our robin was fighting with the sparrows today, a real aerial duel with claws and beaks drawn.

Robins do live quite a long time compared to other birds if they last out their first year so, it could be. Usually lifespan is 5-6 years but can be up to 13-14 years and longer.

Last edited:
on the radio the other day talking about RSPB week thingy and they wanted to make special mention that people stop putting the human hair from their brushes out for the birds to nest with as it wraps round their beaks and can wrap around their legs and cut of circulation

sure I read someone on here suggesting it as a nice thing to do so thought I should post an update on that

I have a menace of a cat and no birds in my garden but more frequently than I care for in my living room

Our robin was fighting with the sparrows today, a real aerial duel with claws and beaks drawn.
Any arrows fired?
on the radio the other day talking about RSPB week thingy and they wanted to make special mention that people stop putting the human hair from their brushes out for the birds to nest with as it wraps round their beaks and can wrap around their legs and cut of circulation

sure I read someone on here suggesting it as a nice thing to do so thought I should post an update on that

I have a menace of a cat and no birds in my garden but more frequently than I care for in my living room
Hair from combing your dog is best.

Last edited:
Robins do live quite a long time compared to other birds if they last out their first year so, it could be. Usually lifespan is 5-6 years but can be up to 13-14 years and longer.
When our daughter was a baby a Robin used to go through the window and sit on the end of her cot singing. It happened a lot and freaked us out. It started to get braver and followed us round the house.

We had to keep all the windows open in case it had a panic.

Our daughter is now 17 and staying with us while college is closed. We'd told her about this Robin many times as she grew up. About 3 weeks ago she came hurtling downstairs completely wired that the Robin was tapping on the window wanting to be in. Sure enough it was there when we went up to see.

She thinks it's the same one, but we live 200 odd miles from the house she grew up in. It does make you wonder though!

Back