Keep feeding those birds during the snowy weather

Haven't had anything in my 2 nestboxes for 3 years now. Were always full of Spuggies. Ive put an extra box up at the end of last summer that only tits can get into.

Encouraging signs recently, Ive got Bluetits and Coaltits on my feeders. Hope they nest. Feeders arent too close to the boxes either.

We've been feeding the birds all winter, but its been irritating that there are loads of pigeons hoovering up all the seeds and the small birds can't compete.
Got a bird table against the fence in the back garden, so what i've done is put another slightly smaller shelf just below it. Gap is big enough for smaller birds to get in and get the seeds. It's partially worked, starlings have sussed it, blackbirds are still a bit wary of going into the gap between the two shelves. Not seen any of the smaller birds yet, but still time.

We've been feeding the birds all winter, but its been irritating that there are loads of pigeons hoovering up all the seeds and the small birds can't compete.
Got a bird table against the fence in the back garden, so what i've done is put another slightly smaller shelf just below it. Gap is big enough for smaller birds to get in and get the seeds. It's partially worked, starlings have sussed it, blackbirds are still a bit wary of going into the gap between the two shelves. Not seen any of the smaller birds yet, but still time.
We have the issue of small birds returning at all. Our feeders are usually inundated with small bird but have only had a smattering back this year .

Watching two crows in the garden yesterday and I was surprised to see one anting itself. I've never seen this behaviour this early in the season before.

I’m sorry to say that I haven’t filled my bird feeders up since I saw a massive rat helping itself to the seeds/suet/nuts right in front of our window.
Quite a few birds are still coming to tap on the window as if to say…Ow man!!
Never seen ratty since like! 😐

Back