Keep feeding those birds during the snowy weather

Yeah our lass no has loads of bird feeders, a bird table and a water feature for them.
We get loads of birds including quite regularly a sparrowhawk eating the others.
Said to our lass a couple of years ago, look there’s a green finch sat in front garden (trying to sound like Bill Oddie) as soon as she looked a sparrowhawk swooped and killed the little fooker, cudnt have scripted it, obviously it was my fault 🤷‍♂️

Aye weve just ordered more Sunflower Hearts and the missus has been hard at work making home made fat balls etc.

Tree Sparrows checking out the nest boxes I put up in the wood at the end of garden today too..

Lighter nights..soon be spring :)
This is true.
There was a female Blackbird, who was as bold as brass, and totally trusting of my Ma, and would wait outside the door each morning, for my Ma, to put some food out for her.
If my Ma was late putting the food out, the blackbird would hop up onto the back step, and tap on the door, until it was opened, and she got fed.
Usually in the summer, the back door was opened to let some air into the house, and the blackbird would hop into the house, and follow my mam around until she got some extra food, and on a couple of occasions, even followed her up the stairs.
At my last house I had a young Blackbird used to sit on the shed waiting for me to come in from work. Every afternoon I'd chuck some suet pellets on the patio and shed be there without fail.

She just stopped turning up after a while. Grew up and left home presumably (or eaten by a Sparrwhawk)

Last edited:
Very few seen so far. Put em out first week in Jan which is later than usual but weathers been far milder until this week.I’m hoping they already had a regular source elsewhere.
Sadly just binned all our bird feeders because of rats. The rat catcher from Durham CC said the bird seed counteracted the rat poison.
Mine are caged ones that the squirrels used to get at shaking the food onto ground and a very old rat from railway line used to turn up. Not seen him for two winters so I think he’s deed. So I hung em on longer chains passing through long plastic plant pots with the feeders half in the plant pots. The squirrels now can’t get at em. They used to sit looking at them last winter trying to figure it out, now we nivver see em.

Last edited:
I use a mix of peanuts, sunflower hearts, mealworms and suet (plus berries) pellets. It costs me a small fortune as I get such an abundance and variety of diners. They provide so much enjoyment though and they do come to depend on you as a food source.

Three robins hang around out there all day, they spend more time scrapping than eating. :lol:

Not too late to sign up for Big Garden Birdwatch Big Garden Birdwatch | Join the fun - The RSPB

There was a canny recipe of how to make Your own fatballs on the last Bird feeding thread

Cheers, just signed up to that.

Going to nip out and get a few feeders and a bit bird scran, gives me something different to do. Home workstation is right next to the balcony doors so may be a welcome distraction now and again and be quite relaxing.

Always have various species on my feeder and yesterday I filled three half coconut shells with seed, suet pellets and mealworms....
....not a dicky bird since!
Ungrateful bleeders! 😡

Back