Just signed up for solar panels.. going green..

Managed feck all today, or the past week as I tried to update the firmware on my inverter and it killed it stone dead. Now waiting for GivEnergy to send out an engineer to give it the kiss of life.

26kWh today with 14 exported at 15p, great effort for early Jan.
Just shows even on a freezing cold day you can still get good numbers on a cloudless bright day.
That's immense for a short day too
26kWh today with 14 exported at 15p, great effort for early Jan.
Just shows even on a freezing cold day you can still get good numbers on a cloudless bright day.
That's immense for a short day too

Big bear of mine bottled water. Not to say I don't buy it occasionally but no more than a handful of bottles a year .

Plastic bottles in general

I have my refill bottles and tap water suffices
Never bought bottled water for years and I get a bit arsey about it and whale hunting ………….. and breathe.

Those who have solar, if there was a power cut can you just run the leccy off the battery until it dies as well ?
Only if your system is specified to do that. It isn't a standard function as you have to build in extra safegaurds to make sure you don't export during the power cut as you could electrocute the folks trying to fix it.

Only if your system is specified to do that. It isn't a standard function as you have to build in extra safegaurds to make sure you don't export during the power cut as you could electrocute the folks trying to fix it.

Ahh right, so it couldnt just auto isolate itself from the grid and act like a power bank type of thing

Lend iz a KW, you know I’m good for it. You’ll get it back when I get paid. Honest.
I'll wire it to you
Roughly how much more would you be looking at for that?
Some of the all-in-one systems like the new one from GivEnergy have it as standard.
I never got it with mine, would have been about an extra ÂŁ800 to have it.

It'll be interesting to see how the vehicle to house systems work as that's when I'd definitely think of having it.

Last edited:
How many panels are you on

That's cracking going
20, but the house faces 2deg off south so couldn't be better set up really.
Do high mileage in the car through work so it's handy having this to contribute.
93 in the last five days in sub-zero temps is way beyond expectation

Back