Just signed up for solar panels.. going green..

What's everyone generating on a daily basis? Still early days for me, so just trying to see what normal looks like at the moment.
I don't think there's any such thing as normal at the moment with the weather so variable. Last few days for me counting back from today have been 12, 26, 26, 10, 7.
13th & 15th September it was still doing as much as 38.

What's everyone generating on a daily basis? Still early days for me, so just trying to see what normal looks like at the moment.
How many days do you want?
I have a 4kW array, facing WSW in Sunderland.
So far this month I've generated daily figures of 15.00, 3.48, 13.08, 7.87, 3.71 units.

I've had the panels 10 years and generated a total of 38,000 units.

Ah, so you DO still get the SEG even with a split-tariff, nice one.

I think I'll be sorting this out soon. Just need to figure the money bit out
Yeah, they recently upped it from 4p and it's ideal for winter now when the odd sunny days do come round.
Mad how you get double the price for export than you pay for import but I'm sure Octopus themselves are still making a profit on both as they'll be playing the wholesale market prices.

If you're not already with Octopus feel free to use the referral link in above posts and we'll share £100 discount.

Today 10.8 and drawing on battery at the moment which is 62%
How many days do you want?
I have a 4kW array, facing WSW in Sunderland.
So far this month I've generated daily figures of 15.00, 3.48, 13.08, 7.87, 3.71 units.

I've had the panels 10 years and generated a total of 38,000 units.
Since beginning of Feb when mine were installed I've generated nearly 3600 units.. so I reckon it will be about 4500-5000 for awhile year

Last edited:
Yeah, they recently upped it from 4p and it's ideal for winter now when the odd sunny days do come round.
Mad how you get double the price for export than you pay for import but I'm sure Octopus themselves are still making a profit on both as they'll be playing the wholesale market prices.

If you're not already with Octopus feel free to use the referral link in above posts and we'll share £100 discount.
Can you deliberately discharge your batteries back into the grid and get the 15p SEG? :lol:

I don't think there's any such thing as normal at the moment with the weather so variable. Last few days for me counting back from today have been 12, 26, 26, 10, 7.
13th & 15th September it was still doing as much as 38.
I assume that's units and not KWh's!?
Can you deliberately discharge your batteries back into the grid and get the 15p SEG? :lol:
I thought that's what Octopus Intelligent Flux was set up to do?

I need to spend more time on how the intelligence tariffs work.

Since beginning of Feb when mine were installed I've generated nearly 3600 units.. so I reckon it will be about 4500-5000 for awhile year
I've done 5KWh today - will see what happens when the sun comes out over the weekend.

Last edited:
Yes, although I can't be faffed to do it but there's nothing stopping you.

I've had mine in since beginning of April and have done 5150 off 20 panels. I'll guess it'll do about 6500 - 7000 over the calendar year.

Last edited:
Yes, although I can't be faffed to do it but there's nothing stopping you.
Aye, set it to discharge to 10% by the time the cheap rate starts, then charge back up - 8-10p profit per unit every day! Suppose the battery is only say 8khw though, so you can only get 50p or so per day lol
As mentioned, there are plans that manage this of course.

Got neighbours out in Brittany who had solar panels fitted over the summer but reckoned they couldn’t get anything from them this week when the power was off after the storm because it needs electricity to run.

That can’t be right, Shirley?

Got neighbours out in Brittany who had solar panels fitted over the summer but reckoned they couldn’t get anything from them this week when the power was off after the storm because it needs electricity to run.

Does the inverter need mains power to run?

Not quite right, the system needs to be set up with a gateway to go "off grid" during power cuts otherwise there's a risk that the power they generate goes back into the grid and electrocutes those working on the downed lines.
Mine doesn't have it, I could get it done but it costs about £1000 so not worth it when not prone to power cuts. A lot of the all in one solar/ battery systems like the new one from GivEnergy have it built in

If the system doesn’t isolate from the mains during a power outage then it will switch off.

Knocked out close to 10 units so far today.. bloody good for this time of the year..

Since there installation early this year I've generated 3.883mw

Should be through the 4mw per year easily

Happy with that

Just checked.. came online 28th Jan 2023
Great, I've had mine a bit longer than you (May 2022) Comparing my last full year before I had them installed, I've reduced my electricity consumption by 2/3 and gas by 1/2 per annum.

Generated 3,877kWh in last 12 months and exported 1,370 kWh.

Far exceeded my expectations.

Great, I've had mine a bit longer than you (May 2022) Comparing my last full year before I had them installed, I've reduced my electricity consumption by 2/3 and gas by 1/2 per annum.

Generated 3,877kWh in last 12 months and exported 1,370 kWh.

Far exceeded my expectations.
I've got to sort out the export stuff as height of summer I was filling the batteries and giving 8-10 units away some days

Knocked out close to 10 units so far today.. bloody good for this time of the year..

Happy with that

Struggling in Surrey today - too cloudy, so only generated 3.5kW all day - was getting over 15kW on a clear day last week.

Happy with that

Managed 22.4kW today which is bloody good for a cold last day of November and should just manage to put my tipping point into December.
As it stands now since about 28th March I've generated 5,892kW and consumed 5,857kW, I've just plugged the car in and the battery will start charging at 11:00 but hopefully I see out the month having still generated more than consumed (which includes loads of car charging so far)
With a good sunny March I'm hoping to get at least 6,500kW in the calender year since installation which iirc was what was projected so pleased with that.
Just had another look and the projected annual output is 6868kW.
It looks like Feb & March should actually generate quite a bit more than Oct/Nov so if that's the case it should get there.

Last edited:

Back