Just bought a...

Status
Not open for further replies.
was thinking about doing a studio course. Flash photography has my head in bits.

I'm getting there like... still only using a one light set up but through trial and error (mainly error) I'm starting to get a lot better.

Main thing is to expose pretty much as if not using flash and then just adding a little in to enchance the image and create a little shadow depth.

I nearly shat my pants trying OFC at a wedding in September... couldn't work out why it wasn't working (had the flash too high), but once I fumbled (tyring to look like I knew what I was doing) I got some great shots.

Next wedding the couple were very impatient and so I didn't even try OCF... I hated the flat lighting when I came to edit them. Not looked back since and always get it off camera when ever possible.

It's all about direction... once you move it to the side or above it changes the way the light hits the subject and causes those shadows that add depth to the images.

Power is the other thing... providing you have the light positioned ok then you can work out power easily enough... too bright turn it down, not enough turn it up.

I start at about 1/32 and increase or decrease from there

How's the 6D?
my latest two shots on Flickr are shot with it. Liking it so far and its a canny step up. Looking to get a remote shutter cable and a wireless set up for my 430 EX ii and play about with portraits.

anyone use the Yongnuo YN-622c's?

does your wife help at your wedding shoots too or are you juggling camera and flash?

Nah portrait and that kind of thing she helps out, but a wedding is too long a day for me to have someone following me around with a flash in their hands at all times. If she took pics it'd be fine but always think it'd look odd bringing me wife with me if she wasn't any use for 90% of the day

Nah portrait and that kind of thing she helps out, but a wedding is too long a day for me to have someone following me around with a flash in their hands at all times. If she took pics it'd be fine but always think it'd look odd bringing me wife with me if she wasn't any use for 90% of the day

I thought that was the norm anyway

I thought that was the norm anyway

:lol:

my latest two shots on Flickr are shot with it. Liking it so far and its a canny step up. Looking to get a remote shutter cable and a wireless set up for my 430 EX ii and play about with portraits.

anyone use the Yongnuo YN-622c's?

I'm presuming these are wireless trigger / receivers? Can't be arsed to google it to find out tho.

If so I use the Yongnou RF-602RX's and they've never let me down... can be a bit hit n miss with that brand though from what I've heard, so you do kind of take yer chances a little. Like I said mine have been fine though

:lol:

I'm presuming these are wireless trigger / receivers? Can't be arsed to google it to find out tho.

If so I use the Yongnou RF-602RX's and they've never let me down... can be a bit hit n miss with that brand though from what I've heard, so you do kind of take yer chances a little. Like I said mine have been fine though

Yer, they're the wireless ETTL version of the 602's. fairly new product I think

Cool... you don't need ETTL off camera tho... just learn how to use flash :roll: ;)

ETTL is amazing and you would use it all the time if you had the tech; a knaa you would rather then pissing about with increments and outputs. Time is money.

ETTL is amazing and you would use it all the time if you had the tech; a knaa you would rather then pissing about with increments and outputs. Time is money.

Honestly wouldn't... OFC is a piece of piss when it comes to the power settings. I wouldn't use manual for stuff that's moving around or if I'm moving around myself, but for a posed shot where all you have to do it turn it up or down if it's not quite right? Nah there's no need.

It's all about where and how you place the light that's the real issue and no amount of TTL will help you with that.

Honestly wouldn't... OFC is a piece of piss when it comes to the power settings. I wouldn't use manual for stuff that's moving around or if I'm moving around myself, but for a posed shot where all you have to do it turn it up or down if it's not quite right? Nah there's no need.

It's all about where and how you place the light that's the real issue and no amount of TTL will help you with that.

Exactomondo, being proficient with a flash is not about setting it up. The only difference using ettl is you change the settings from the camera, not from the flash unit. Just so happens ettl will expose neutral under any conditions automatically; bonus.

Learn how to set up a flash manually Ross, it's not that difficult really. There is nothing you cannot do manually that cannot be done via ettl though.

Exactomondo, being proficient with a flash is not about setting it up. The only difference using ettl is you change the settings from the camera, not from the flash unit. Just so happens ettl will expose neutral under any conditions automatically; bonus.

Learn how to set up a flash manually Ross, it's not that difficult really. There is nothing you cannot do manually that cannot be done via ettl though.

No that's true but in my opinion using ETTL off camera is like using program mode on the camera... yeah it'll work fine but unless you teach yourself how to do everything manually you'll always be stuck a little in how creative you can get with the settings.

For most people there won't be much difference, but if you took someone who used flash off camera set to manaul for 5 years regularly and someone who for the same amount of time used nothing but TTL, then the former would be producing much more creative lighting IMO

No that's true but in my opinion using ETTL off camera is like using program mode on the camera... yeah it'll work fine but unless you teach yourself how to do everything manually you'll always be stuck a little in how creative you can get with the settings.

For most people there won't be much difference, but if you took someone who used flash off camera set to manaul for 5 years regularly and someone who for the same amount of time used nothing but TTL, then the former would be producing much more creative lighting IMO

Don't be daft marra :lol: creative light has nothing what so ever to do with how you technically set it up. Absolutely nowt like p mode either.

Don't be daft marra :lol: creative light has nothing what so ever to do with how you technically set it up. Absolutely nowt like p mode either.

Of course it is man... if you don't know how to zoom the flash then you're restricting yourself in how that light beam lands and falls on the subject.

ajax_andy said:
Of course it is man... if you don't know how to zoom the flash then you're restricting yourself in how that light beam lands and falls on the subject.

Well you can just zoom the flash in ETTL mode. This may depend on the flash unit mind. And if ETTL isn't totally working for what you want dial in some +\- exposure or change ratios if using more than one. So it's ETTL with some manual intervention :)

All depends on location, time and the biggest limiting factor - what your mind can imagine the shot looking like.

I agree with ayesane mind, creative lighting is more about what the mind can think up, rather than what the fingers dial in to the speed light.

By the way, Iain Hesford's Bait Box has set up a Dropbox with some good books in, including a speed lighting one. Anyone interested should drop him a mail and check it out.

Ross, read the book. Sod the course man, just practice some self portraits or get your lass to pose. Or hit model mayhem. I'm planning to do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back