Just bought a...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye exactly this... RAW all the way :)

Cheers mate :)

It's the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD which you can also get for the Nikon.

It's half the price of the Canon L lens (£900 instead of about £1800) and gets very good reviews. Seems sharp enough for my liking but will reserve full judgement until I've tried it in low light. So far so good though and don't think the Canon version would be much better or worth the extra cost :)

Interesting. I actually read a thread on TP yesterday with a few recommendations for the same lens. I basically have a DX body and my current walkabout is a DX lens. I'm looking to step up to FF in the summer but the issue will be that if I replace by body I also then need a new a new 'walk around' as well, as I don't fancy being restricted to primes. Its an expensive hit going down the full Nikon route so this may be another option to look at especially as its £650 for the Nikon version new.

Interesting. I actually read a thread on TP yesterday with a few recommendations for the same lens. I basically have a DX body and my current walkabout is a DX lens. I'm looking to step up to FF in the summer but the issue will be that if I replace by body I also then need a new a new 'walk around' as well, as I don't fancy being restricted to primes. Its an expensive hit going down the full Nikon route so this may be another option to look at especially as its £650 for the Nikon version new.

One thing to be aware of is that there's apparently 2 versions for the Nikon of this lens.. one is a bit crap, something to do with a conflict in how it works with something on the Nikon Camera's that Canon don't have... basically it's on Canon the lens always does a certain function, on the Nikons the body does, but the lens also has this function and this causes an issue.

Can't be any more specific than that sadly as just browsed the thread... worth baring in mind that you'll need to do a bit of research should you go for this lens :)

Oh and TP is fine but too many arseholes on there tbh... try joining me here http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/ as there's some lovely folk on this forum and they're always will to help and not be arsey dicks if you say something opposite to their view

One thing to be aware of is that there's apparently 2 versions for the Nikon of this lens.. one is a bit crap, something to do with a conflict in how it works with something on the Nikon Camera's that Canon don't have... basically it's on Canon the lens always does a certain function, on the Nikons the body does, but the lens also has this function and this causes an issue.

Can't be any more specific than that sadly as just browsed the thread... worth baring in mind that you'll need to do a bit of research should you go for this lens :)

Oh and TP is fine but too many arseholes on there tbh... try joining me here http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/ as there's some lovely folk on this forum and they're always will to help and not be arsey dicks if you say something opposite to their view

Thanks for the info and ill read up further. I'm guessing its the split between the bodies that have the autofocus motor and the ones which do not and where AF is built into the lens. Tamron prob have two versions which cater for each.

Had a quick glance over that forum the other day when your mentioned it and it looked canny, but not got round to signing up yet. On my list to do.

Thanks for the info and ill read up further. I'm guessing its the split between the bodies that have the autofocus motor and the ones which do not and where AF is built into the lens. Tamron prob have two versions which cater for each.

Had a quick glance over that forum the other day when your mentioned it and it looked canny, but not got round to signing up yet. On my list to do.

Aye that was the issue!

The other forum isn't the busiest but the benefit of that is that you get to know certain people better, and there's no ego's on there like TP.

ajax_andy said:

I have joined up this evening and seems to be an good resource. I especially like the 'Before and after' section as quite often I will see an image posted on critique sections of forums and wonder what the PP workflow had been.

The only shame is that it doesn't seem to have an IOS app as I probably spend 95% of my TP browsing on the iPhone/iPad.

I have joined up this evening and seems to be an good resource. I especially like the 'Before and after' section as quite often I will see an image posted on critique sections of forums and wonder what the PP workflow had been.

The only shame is that it doesn't seem to have an IOS app as I probably spend 95% of my TP browsing on the iPhone/iPad.

Works fine just using safari though and I'm always on there on my iPad or iPhone :)

Do you have some sort of portable lighting? I can never seem to get the faces exposed properly with just vibrant contrast!

(guess the photographer who only shoots people in clubs :lol:)

Do you have some sort of portable lighting? I can never seem to get the faces exposed properly with just vibrant contrast!

(guess the photographer who only shoots people in clubs :lol:)

Haha yeah... flash gun on a stand with a shoot through umbrella.

With this shot I got my wife to hold the stand so it was higher than them (pointing down a little so it was towards them), and just a little to the left side of where I was stood.

I usually go for a more standard short lighting which is about 45 degrees to the person or couple, but in this situation that wouldn't have been possible as would have been lighting the back of them, or somehow i'd have had to get the flash over the other side of the railing.

Main thing is to get the lighting off axis, so either about 45 degrees to the side of them, or slightly above their eye level if that's not possible

Haha yeah... flash gun on a stand with a shoot through umbrella.

With this shot I got my wife to hold the stand so it was higher than them (pointing down a little so it was towards them), and just a little to the left side of where I was stood.

I usually go for a more standard short lighting which is about 45 degrees to the person or couple, but in this situation that wouldn't have been possible as would have been lighting the back of them, or somehow i'd have had to get the flash over the other side of the railing.

Main thing is to get the lighting off axis, so either about 45 degrees to the side of them, or slightly above their eye level if that's not possible

It seems to make a huge difference. Is there a set up you could recommend? I'd love to do a bit of research and get something myself!

Is it not a problem when you shoot faster than 1/250, my 430ex ii only lets me shoot that fast.

It seems to make a huge difference. Is there a set up you could recommend? I'd love to do a bit of research and get something myself!

Is it not a problem when you shoot faster than 1/250, my 430ex ii only lets me shoot that fast.

You can use high speed sync but it's better to try and stick to a max of 1/250(or what ever the max sync speed of the camera is... some are different to others).

Where possible avoid the mid day sun as the light is nicer towards the end of the day (or start) and also softer which means the max sync speed is fast enough not to blow the sky.

Shooting mid day you either have to really take a hit on the sky and completely blow it, or use a narrow aperture and lose any real Bokeh.

No real set up to speak of, just a flash, a stand, a shoot through umbrella, a wireless trigger and receiver and a willing wife. The rest is just learning the basics of off camera flash... best way to do that is practice.

It's hard at first (i'm just now starting to feel comfortable with it) but once you get the basics down it gets easier.

Books and youtube are the best way forward for learning lighting I find, although as stated practicing and messing about seems to be a good way too.

I'm guilty of watching loads of Youtube videos - especially for PP techniques.

How much should an umbrella and stand set you back?

I'm guilty of watching loads of Youtube videos - especially for PP techniques.

How much should an umbrella and stand set you back?

Probably about £15 - £20.

I recently bought a new bit where the flash attaches (cold shoe I think it's called) as the one's that come with the stand are crap... cost £15.

It's not essential tho and you could definitely get started with £20 spent no problem.

You'll need wireless receiver & trigger though or a TTL cord (unless your body has IR?) which adds to the cost

I've got a 7D which has wireless flash, so I don't think I'll need a cord or anything. Seems to work fine in the club with it just in my hand! Cheers for the heads up!

I've got a 7D which has wireless flash, so I don't think I'll need a cord or anything. Seems to work fine in the club with it just in my hand! Cheers for the heads up!

You should be ok then as long as the brolly doesn't interfere with the line of sight... not sure if you might have an issue if it does?

No worries... am always happy to help :)

You should be ok then as long as the brolly doesn't interfere with the line of sight... not sure if you might have an issue if it does?

No worries... am always happy to help :)

This is what I was worried about, but I guess I'll see how it goes. Can't imagine there'd be many times where the umbrella wouldn't be in the way to be honest, which is slightly concerning!

This is what I was worried about, but I guess I'll see how it goes. Can't imagine there'd be many times where the umbrella wouldn't be in the way to be honest, which is slightly concerning!

The umbrella is thin enough for the flash to get through so you might be alright. I know if a person for example stood in the way you'd be screwed but a thin umbrella? Might still be an issue but might be ok.

A cheap TTL chord will see you right if so. However don't shoot TTL off camera... best to shoot in full manual and really teach yourself how it works.

Did you just grab one from eBay? Can't imagine there'd be much difference between them apart from build quality if all it's doing is reflecting and spreading the light?

Did you just grab one from eBay? Can't imagine there'd be much difference between them apart from build quality if all it's doing is reflecting and spreading the light?

I think I got it from Amazon... probs just the same one's like and aye it's just an umbrella at the end of the day so doubt it really matters tbh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back