Jumper on the bridge

That's my take on it too mate.

I want to make clear that I don't begrudge people that cry for help.
Me neither mate. Must be in a very bad way just to climb over to the other side. A couple of years ago my sister was out with her partner on a Friday night and there was a lass threatening to jump. Our kid spoke to her for ages until the police arrived. They got her down safely and offered my sister counselling (which she declined) due to it being a traumatic experience.

The crys for help are falling in deaf ears imo. Access to mental health services are limited, especially in Sunderland. We are the only place in Britain to limit counselling sessions to 6. Mind that was 3 year ago when
my mate nearly committed suicide.
My missus works in cherry knowle so I know first hand the strain the system is under. It ain’t great for staff or patients.
But where do you draw the line?
Hope he gets the help he needs.

You don't think access to mental health provisions and stigma around male mental health has improved over the last 30 years or so?

It could certainly improve, but it's came on leaps and bounds in my lifetime.

It’s definitely improved over the last 30 years, possibly declined over the last few though.

For whatever reason there’s a culture now that sees this happening and we need to do something different.

One professional footballer suffers cardiac arrest and there’s a campaign for defibs to be installed in football clubs right down the pyramid,

There were around 4,500 male suicides last year, which is the lowest for around 30 years, but still far too many young men die this way.

Not looking for an argument by the way, just think it feels like a dirty secret that people try and keep to themselves rather than seeking with the issue.

I know if people genuinely want to kill themselves they will find a way but making it harder to get onto the wrong side of the railings would be worthwhile surely?

Hope this bloke gets sorted

You know that’s a great easy idea... why can’t it be implemented

someone mentioned earlier about a lad fishing years ago.

I’ve been fishing there when it’s happened and also on a beach when someone walked in front of a train.
Two events I’ll never forgot, I truly hope he gets the help he needs.

This country is in for a rough ride and with more financial pressures coming right down the spectrum it’s need to act fast.

It’s definitely improved over the last 30 years, possibly declined over the last few though.

For whatever reason there’s a culture now that sees this happening and we need to do something different.

One professional footballer suffers cardiac arrest and there’s a campaign for defibs to be installed in football clubs right down the pyramid,

There were around 4,500 male suicides last year, which is the lowest for around 30 years, but still far too many young men die this way.

Not looking for an argument by the way, just think it feels like a dirty secret that people try and keep to themselves rather than seeking with the issue.
I get you aren't after an argument mate.

We have about 20 male suicides a year in Sunderland, our rate is a little higher than England but not significantly, a little lower than the North East but not significantly.

There is a lot of work that goes into suicide prevention, I've sat in on suicide prevention groups and assisted with a couple of strategies. There are national campaigns (elephant in the room from last year for example).

It's gone down the last few years not up, had a bump during the recession. My thought is that although it's not really improving its not getting worse either, which I honestly thought it would with austerity.

It feels like we're getting better at addressing it as a society to me tbh, even though I will acknowledge services should have more money chucked at them to tackle it.

Saying that I think if there was a couple million quid going for services locally to tackle 1 health issue of their choice it probably wouldnt go to suicide, as crass as it sounds they'd probably get more bang for there buck (as in lowering years of life lost) elsewhere unfortunately.

Back