Jumper on the bridge

Agreed 100% and well done mate. But something must have triggered your change in attitude. Some people need that sort of advice. Can you imagine someone in the position you where phoning you and asking advice? You would be perfect at it, tell them what you did and how it helped. Honestly how long would it take? 5-6 minutes?
But instead you waited 7-8 weeks just for the call back then the same for appointment and on your first appointment all they do is take your particulars and make a decision how to treat you.
I feel like the system in many respects can worsen someone’s condition.

I think for me it was just being open and honest with my friends and family that helped me realise where I was at and potentially heading how it was continuing.

I can’t say for definite what triggered the change with me but I just knew I had to try change it for myself.

Lots of people have problems in their lives and just bottle it up, at least in my case I did. I was really unhappy with how my life was going job wise, health wise, romantically etc and felt like drinking and drugs would fix things when in reality it just makes things ten times worse.

I’m not saying I’m never gunna enjoy going out for a drink at some point but I’m on an upward spiral now whereas 5 months ago I had hit my lowest point.

When I went to the doctors I just felt like he didn’t really understand it and was suggesting things that seemed pointless. Then realising it was going to take so long I just thought fuck it, it’s up to me to change things.

I think people need to talk more and actually listen to each other. It won’t solve the depression problem but if it can help one other person it’s worth it.

I think for me it was just being open and honest with my friends and family that helped me realise where I was at and potentially heading how it was continuing.

I can’t say for definite what triggered the change with me but I just knew I had to try change it for myself.

Lots of people have problems in their lives and just bottle it up, at least in my case I did. I was really unhappy with how my life was going job wise, health wise, romantically etc and felt like drinking and drugs would fix things when in reality it just makes things ten times worse.

I’m not saying I’m never gunna enjoy going out for a drink at some point but I’m on an upward spiral now whereas 5 months ago I had hit my lowest point.

When I went to the doctors I just felt like he didn’t really understand it and was suggesting things that seemed pointless. Then realising it was going to take so long I just thought fuck it, it’s up to me to change things.

I think people need to talk more and actually listen to each other. It won’t solve the depression problem but if it can help one other person it’s worth it.
Talking was your trigger by the sound of it mate, the best advice is sometimes right in front of you. I’m sure the reaction of anyone who suffers depression or anxiety then gets themselves out of it is triggered by something similar but it’s finding that trigger point. Some people don’t have friends of family simply because instead of drinking and taking drugs they maybe stop interacting with friends and family which we all know ain’t good.

I have said on here before that mental health and suicides are something that are going to escalate over the next 20 or so years.
We have created a society now where youtube and facebook likes count for more than a persons life.
Emergency services and armed forces personnel leave one day and are expected to be joe public average citizens the next, despite what they have seen and endured.
The mental health side of the NHS is overwhelmed and it is only going to get worse

I have said on here before that mental health and suicides are something that are going to escalate over the next 20 or so years.
We have created a society now where youtube and facebook likes count for more than a persons life.
Emergency services and armed forces personnel leave one day and are expected to be joe public average citizens the next, despite what they have seen and endured.
The mental health side of the NHS is overwhelmed and it is only going to get worse

Social media is a f***ing car crash, what started out as a bit of fun for you and your mates has become a barometer for people's lives and how they see themselves.
Austerity.

...because nobody with money commits suicide.

Last edited:
Social media is a f***ing car crash, what started out as a bit of fun for you and your mates has become a barometer for people's lifestyle.
Exactly

People in a time of need being video’d

Coppers doing their job plastered all over the internet

People being happy slapped

Victims of crime having the extra humiliation of it being on video

It’s all wrong and as a society the more we progress with technology the more backwards in civilisation we become

Exactly

It’s all wrong and as a society the more we progress with technology the more backwards in civilisation we become

I agree, my old man was a involved in the development of Zero Tolerance policing which was highly successful in fighting crime in Hartlepool. You have no chance now with everyone playing the victim.

Social media is a f***ing car crash, what started out as a bit of fun for you and your mates has become a barometer for people's lives and how they see themselves.

Because somebody that needs help might have been referred as no-one was available due to staff and service cuts. Keep up.

Access to mental health provisions and removing the stigma around mental health, male mental health in particular would be a starting point.

It’s 2019 and people still think it’s just a case of MTFU and move on.

How do you help someone who you have no idea there was a problem till they are dead?

There is always someone to talk to away from any professional yet they choose not to even do that.

I’ve lost a fair number of friends over the years it leaves absolute devastation, even guilt for those left behind, asking themselves why.

Obviously that can never ever be answered, where is the stigma in asking say a parent for help?

Not the person. The public services have been cut to ribbons. Keep up.

I swear I saw a fat mess of a bloke filming it too.

A lot of people these days are just utter twats. We had a house fire a few years ago and as we were getting out the house we could see people out the back filming! Asked the emergency services who made the initial call to report the fire and it was us.

Took a lot of restraint not to batter the shit out of them and rub a few months in jail tbh and that's the only time such thoughts have ever really crossed my mind.

Exactly

Ironically I'm agreeing with you reading this on my phone.
I think there are hundreds of reasons that accentuate people's mental health problems. Lack of purpose, lack of structure, lack of self discipline, lack of self worth, isolation etc etc etc. These are heightened by the posts on Instagram etc. I'm not on any other social media apart from whatsapp groups of mates.

Think some people don’t help themselves myself being one of them. I’m not saying everyone’s the same but a large percentage of people feeing depressed and that would definitely feel a difference with a change in lifestyle.

This is where I think the “Man Up” attitude has a little bit of merit.

As in, you’re not happy? Then be a man and do something about it.

Good post.
Nurses are leaving mental health at an alarming rate.
I've got a mate that works for the mental health crisis team and the poor bugger looks suicidal himself most of the time. It must be a horrifically challenging job.
Imagine trying to keep someone alive who doesn’t want to be, to the point where they can only eat liquidised food as they try and choke themselves with normal food. It must be horrific.

Last edited:

Back